Would you find this feature useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you find this feature useful?

I am thinking of adding a new feature to BLStat that would allow you to specify the number of degrees above your scheduled setpoint before the cool or heat would start.

For example:

I keep my cool setpoint at 76. That means that when it reaches 77 the air conditioner will start and cool to 76. I am thinking of adding a new feature where you could specify a max trigger degrees of 2 so that would mean that the temp would have to go up by 2 in order for it to cool.

How this works is as follows. You have a scheduled cool setpoint of 76. You have your max trigger degrees cool value set to 2. When 76 is reached the plugin would set your setpoint to 77 (this would force the temp to reach 78 before it cooled). Once 78 was reached the plugin would set the cool setpoint back to 76. This would cause the A/C to cool from 78 to 76. Once back at 76 then it gets set to 77 again.

I used to do this with my old RCS X10 thermostat system and it seemed to work well. I am thinking that maybe it would cause the A/C to not come on and off so often which can be hard on it.

Hope this makes sense.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
      I am thinking of adding a new feature to BLStat that would allow you to specify the number of degrees above your scheduled setpoint before the cool or heat would start.

For example:

I keep my cool setpoint at 76. That means that when it reaches 77 the air conditioner will start and cool to 76. I am thinking of adding a new feature where you could specify a max trigger degrees of 2 so that would mean that the temp would have to go up by 2 in order for it to cool.

How this works is as follows. You have a scheduled cool setpoint of 76. You have your max trigger degrees cool value set to 2. When 76 is reached the plugin would set your setpoint to 77 (this would force the temp to reach 78 before it cooled). Once 78 was reached the plugin would set the cool setpoint back to 76. This would cause the A/C to cool from 78 to 76. Once back at 76 then it gets set to 77 again.

I used to do this with my old RCS X10 thermostat system and it seemed to work well. I am thinking that maybe it would cause the A/C to not come on and off so often which can be hard on it.

Hope this makes sense.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
      And for heating, it would act opposite, correct? Hysteresis value something the Plug-in would allow, like 2 or 3, or if unoccupied say 5 degrees? I can see this working well as my Z-wave stat says it behaves this way, but makes it incredibly difficult to adjust remotely (as in, impossible). All these things have to be configured manually at the device. Having them part of a plug-in would be really nice and clean up some scripts that _try_ to do this...
      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

That sounds like a nice feature, but wouldn't you have to be polling the t-stat like every minute or so for it to work correctly? Because I think that there is only one (or maybe none) thermostat that supports instant status updates?

Comment

Heating would be the opposite, yes

I don't think it will require any extra polling. I guess I will find out once I get going on it.
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Thinking about the work of adding this...don't most T-stats do this anyhow?

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Yes. Please add...

Comment

Would not be useful for me. I expect the thermostat to maintain the exact temperature I programmed. Having said that, I believe most thermostats do this by default. At least my HVAC guy told me so.

I would LOVE to see a hold button on my HSTouch thermostat screen. But that is a different topic....

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualPanther View Post
                  I would LOVE to see a hold button on my HSTouch thermostat screen. But that is a different topic....
                  You can put a hold button on your HSTouch. Just have the button call the SetHoldOn scripting call.
                  Cheers,
                  Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                    You can put a hold button on your HSTouch. Just have the button call the SetHoldOn scripting call.
                    Do you think there is a way to have the current "Hold" status shown in HSTouch? That is, if I do make a button to put the thermostat in the "Hold" mode, how would be reflected in HSTouch that it is currently in "Hold"?

Comment

I believe there is a device that shows if the system is in Run or Hold mode
                      Check the list of the devices for BLStat
                      Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

the 2 degree offset is a built in setting to the trane thermostat.. i already use that feature, works great!

-Tom-
                        -Tom-

Comment

Yep

You have my vote. Yes!

Jack

Comment

[QUOTE=VirtualPanther;979054]Would not be useful for me. I expect the thermostat to maintain the exact temperature I programmed. Having said that, I believe most thermostats do this by default. At least my HVAC guy told me so.

/QUOTE]

My omnistat2's I believe allow the differential to be programmed, if I recall correctly, as well as limiting the cycle rate/time.

Don

Comment

Working...
                            X