Emergency heating event....!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency heating event....!!!

Hey Guys, during winter time in Fl. I hardly us the AC, but there occasions the the house get very cold in the mornings, (not always) I would like to have HS turn on the heat at a specific temp during the nigth if it gets to cold.

My question is would you set it acording to the outside temp,or the inside temp or both? And how would u creat a event?

I already know how I plan to turn it off in the Mornning by motion sensor in living room. Any ideas welcomed.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

I don't know if its really that important to look at the outside temp, I mean if you are cold inside, I don't know why outside temp is that important. Maybe I am missing something with this. I would think it would be more important to make sure the windows are closed.

Just my two cents....

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
      I don't know if its really that important to look at the outside temp, I mean if you are cold inside, I don't know why outside temp is that important.
      It may be that the thermostat is normally not in heat mode. Just a guess. I do something similar, but mostly to be sure the heat comes on if we are away and forget to do it before we leave.

I have an event that monitors the outside temp and when it goes below a set temperature it sets the thermostat to heat mode and adjusts the set points appropriately. After that, it's up to the thermostat to monitor inside temp and turn the furnace on as needed.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech
        Yes, my AC has a heat pump and a aux and I almost never use it, but some Mornning when least expected the temp. Inside is so way too cold to even think of waking up. That's because of how well insulated my home is. I am monitoring my AC with this plug and up til now (only used this for a few days) my running time is remarkly low comparing to my idle time. I will be monitoring my out side temp with weatherbug plugin, and the inside temp with Blstat and then have the action to turn on heat. Only thing that I can't figure out is how low outside temp should it be in relation to the inside .
        Its not a bad idea to give heat or AC a running start by using UtlraWeatherbug.

If the utlraweatherbug temp goes below X,

then make the event action to
        -turn the heat to "on" mode.
        -set the heat set point to what the family likes in the morning (for us, usually +2 to normal day temp)

I do the same thing for my ac in the summer and actually set the temp lower than we usually have it before the day starts up. Our upstairs gets hot. If I know how hot its getting, and the heat senor in the attic goes off, start the air and put the set point 2 degrees low to get it the ac a running start. Put the temp back to normal after 30 mins.

My daughter's room has bad insulation and I switch on the furnace fan and the ductbooster in her room when the ultraweatherbug temperature gets below a certain point to keep the air moving in the house and distribute it evenly. Not a perfect solution, but it does help

What values do you use for outside temp? You'll know the nights that the problem happened.. review what the ultraweatherbug temp was when the family had complaints... add 5 degrees to that night's low and start there.
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
          Its not a bad idea to give heat or AC a running start by using UtlraWeatherbug.

If the utlraweatherbug temp goes below X,

then make the event action to
          -turn the heat to "on" mode.
          -set the heat set point to what the family likes in the morning (for us, usually +2 to normal day temp)

I do the same thing for my ac in the summer and actually set the temp lower than we usually have it before the day starts up. Our upstairs gets hot. If I know how hot its getting, and the heat senor in the attic goes off, start the air and put the set point 2 degrees low to get it the ac a running start. Put the temp back to normal after 30 mins.

My daughter's room has bad insulation and I switch on the furnace fan and the ductbooster in her room when the ultraweatherbug temperature gets below a certain point to keep the air moving in the house and distribute it evenly. Not a perfect solution, but it does help

What values do you use for outside temp? You'll know the nights that the problem happened.. review what the ultraweatherbug temp was when the family had complaints... add 5 degrees to that night's low and start there.
          Thank you Paul for your experience, I like the way you approach the setting point for weatherbug, thk much.
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
          X