X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Voting

Hey Bob,

Hope you are well!

Hey, was wondering how we can implement temperature voting. This is what I mean:

1) A house with 2 zones - upstairs and downstairs
    2) A Zwave Stat in each room and various places in the house
    3) Only 2 stats are actually controlling the HVAC - 1 for the upstairs zone and and 1 for the down
    4) The other stats have power only and are used to see temps on the rooms.

Would be nice to use the other stats that are not connected to the HVAC system to control the system by using a system of voting, like they do in Commercial systems. The problem we are trying to solve is the location where the stats are located tend not represent the rest of the house so hot and cold spots are present. By placing stats in those hot and cold spots and grouping them together, the plan would be to adjust the temp up or down and if enough of the grouped stats request a temp change, the requests would get sent to the HVAC through one of the controlling stats.

Example:

The stat in the downstairs hall is set to 70 degrees but, in the kitchen and family room, the temp is only 67 due to tile on the floor and more windows. If we had a stat in the kitchen and family room the occupants could use those two stats to "vote" for a temp change. If enough votes come in, it triggers the stat in the hall to adjust to 72, increasing the temps in the kitchen and family room. This could also be used upstairs if we put a stat in each bedroom.

Another option would be to use the AVERAGE of all of the temps in a "zone" and try to hold the temp in the zone to the desired temp. So if we set the "zone" to be a certain temp, the plugin would control the controlling stat until the average of all stats in a zone reach a certain temp.

Obviously, in an ideal world, a user that wants this kind of tech would have a variable speed system, electric dampers, hardwired stats in each zone, a multi zone controller and the whole thing would cost over $30k! If we got something like this to work, we could use it to create a "pseudo" zoned system.

How can we get this from your plug in?
    Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

That is an interesting idea but right now I could not dedicate enough time to get that done.
    You can always add a feature request on my web site for this.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Here is something to make you salivate - Z-wave vent covers ... built your 30K system for 1K :-)

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic..._warm_or_cold/

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
        Here is something to make you salivate - Z-wave vent covers ... built your 30K system for 1K :-)

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic..._warm_or_cold/
        That look interesting only thing we need to find out if HS will accept it.
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

i just spoke to the company and they are a VERY young company. The vents are coming in about a few weeks and I have some on order.

They will be On/Off devices (open/closed) and do not support variability of the louvers.

It will be interesting.

One thing I liked was this Z-Wave to IR control for portable or room based AC units.

http://www.tkbhome.com/?cn-p-d-178.html

What it does it take a Zwave command and then send IR to your AC Unit. TKB HOme is the company making the vents for this other company. They look pretty cool.
          Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
            i just spoke to the company and they are a VERY young company. The vents are coming in about a few weeks and I have some on order.

They will be On/Off devices (open/closed) and do not support variability of the louvers.

It will be interesting.

One thing I liked was this Z-Wave to IR control for portable or room based AC units.

http://www.tkbhome.com/?cn-p-d-178.html

What it does it take a Zwave command and then send IR to your AC Unit. TKB HOme is the company making the vents for this other company. They look pretty cool.

Do you think it will work with HS?
            Hector
            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
            X