Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikee123
    replied
    I have done the easy trigger copy my last setpoint when I leave the house. So that should work up to the point when I have a schedules setpoint change on the schedule which should be loaded while at home. That setpoint change will not occur as the away schedule is loaded. So when I come back, it will load the last setpoint, but in this case the setpoint is wrong.
    I had another idea of how to get around this, but I dont know if its possible.
    If I could create a virtual thermostat, which loads the same schedule as my main thermostat, but keeps that schedule even when the main thermostst changes to the away schedule. That way, the virtual thermostat would change setpoints as the main thermostat would if the house wasnt set to away. The if I read the virtual thermostat schedule when the house turns to home, it will always have the right setpoint.
    So, I need to create a virtual thermostat (if thats possible) and then load it into BLStat (again, if thats possible)

Leave a comment:

• mikee123
    replied
    I have easy triggee, but tried to do it another way. Easy trigger might actually be the easiest way. After what you said i thought brilliant thats how i would like it to be. For whatever reason it isnt. So that might be the easiedt way around it. But as long ss it works, another dtep or two is not that important. It cant work for every device the same way.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
    It doesnt in my system. 55 minutes and the setpoint has not changed. So I'll have to find a plan B. For the away its no problem, when the house is set to away it loads the away schedule, and sends a command to the thermostat to set it to 18 degrees. So thats fine. The home one is the problem now, how do I get the appropriate setpoint to the thermostat.

Is there a script command to get the current heat setpoint of the device ?

would

setpoint = hs.devicevalue(227)

work ?
    That is odd. I wouldn't think it would be thermostat dependent. I just tested mine to make sure and when a new schedule is loaded the temperature for that time of day is immediately set in any of my thermostats. I tried it on several thermostats with several different schedules. It is a shame that it doesn't work for you, because the method we use allows the scheduling function to take precedent. For example, if we go "away" at 5:00PM and the system sets back to 64 degrees from the 70 degree daytime norm and we return "home" at 11:00PM the system will go to the nighttime setback temperature of 66 degrees. There is no point trying to heat the house back to the daytime temperature when we are likely to go to bed. I have oversimplified our logic, because it also takes into account times of day and PHLocation data to predict if we are heading home before we actually arrive. We have come to rely on BLStat to dynamically set heating schedules and it has worked perfectly for a couple of years.

If you have the Easy Trigger plug-in you can create a status only virtual device to store the current setpoint, use easy trigger to set the virtual device to the current setpoint when you leave and set the thermostat to the away setpoint. When you return set the thermostat setpoint to the stored value in the virtual device. Easy Trigger allows you to set a device to another device.

Leave a comment:

• mikee123
    replied
    It doesnt in my system. 55 minutes and the setpoint has not changed. So I'll have to find a plan B. For the away its no problem, when the house is set to away it loads the away schedule, and sends a command to the thermostat to set it to 18 degrees. So thats fine. The home one is the problem now, how do I get the appropriate setpoint to the thermostat.

Is there a script command to get the current heat setpoint of the device ?

would

setpoint = hs.devicevalue(227)

work ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikee123; July 16th, 2016, 07:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    ok and that will load the appropriate setpoint straight away ?
    It does in my system.

Leave a comment:

• mikee123
    replied
    ok and that will load the appropriate setpoint straight away ?

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    I didnt explain that very well. I use BLStat for all my TRV's and for my main thermostat. The main thermostat is what I am trying to control here. There are 5 shedules for it in BLStat, and I have a virtual switch which has 5 of them on there for a manual selection. So just in case I want to manually change a schedule for the main thermostat I can easily do it by selecting the desired schedule on the virtual switch. Also, whenever BLStat changes the schedule (this is driven by a script taking temperature readings etc), it changes the virtual switch to the schedule currently used. So I can see what schedule is loaded currently in my virtual switch, this is what I meant by 'stored'. When I load the away schedule, my virtual switch does not change as away does not change the virtual switch. So that way I know what schedule was loaded before the away, so its easy to reload when the house changes to 'Home'.
    Now the problem. Away sets the main thermostat to 18 degrees. Always. When I return home, depending on time of year, time of day temperature etc the setpoint before could have been 14, 18, 20 or 21. It will automatically load the schedule which was loaded before 'Away'. That migh mean the current setpoint should be for example 20. Will that load that setpoint as soon as the new schedule is loaded, or will it wait until the next setpoint change in the schedule ?
    Then when you are away, load an away schedule with the reduced temperature to the main thermostat and when you return load whatever schedule is selected in your Heating Schedule virtual device.

Leave a comment:

• mikee123
    replied
    I didnt explain that very well. I use BLStat for all my TRV's and for my main thermostat. The main thermostat is what I am trying to control here. There are 5 shedules for it in BLStat, and I have a virtual switch which has 5 of them on there for a manual selection. So just in case I want to manually change a schedule for the main thermostat I can easily do it by selecting the desired schedule on the virtual switch. Also, whenever BLStat changes the schedule (this is driven by a script taking temperature readings etc), it changes the virtual switch to the schedule currently used. So I can see what schedule is loaded currently in my virtual switch, this is what I meant by 'stored'. When I load the away schedule, my virtual switch does not change as away does not change the virtual switch. So that way I know what schedule was loaded before the away, so its easy to reload when the house changes to 'Home'.
    Now the problem. Away sets the main thermostat to 18 degrees. Always. When I return home, depending on time of year, time of day temperature etc the setpoint before could have been 14, 18, 20 or 21. It will automatically load the schedule which was loaded before 'Away'. That migh mean the current setpoint should be for example 20. Will that load that setpoint as soon as the new schedule is loaded, or will it wait until the next setpoint change in the schedule ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    I have noticed a problem with my setup, maybe you have an idea of how to get around it.
    My heating schedule is loaded, and stored in a virtual switch. We leave the house, a away schedule is loaded and also the setpoint changed to 18 degrees so I do not have to wait for the next schedule change for the setpoint to be set. This does not alter the schedule stored in the virtual switch. So far so good.
    One of us comes home, the previous schedule still stored in the virtual switch, which is then loaded. The problem is now, that the setpoint will not change back to what it should be until the next change in the schedule. How can I get around that ? Any ideas ?
    I guess I don't understand how you are "storing the schedule in a virtual switch". Are you using BLStat?

With BLStat, when you load a schedule from an event it immediately uses the new schedule. There is no need to store a schedule, they are all created in BLStat. When you are away, you would load the "Away" schedule and when you return you would load the "Home" schedule. You can use a change in the Home/Away virtual device to load the schedules stored in the plug-in.

If I am completely missing what you are trying to do, post screenshots or complete descriptions of your events.

Leave a comment:

• mikee123
    replied
    I have noticed a problem with my setup, maybe you have an idea of how to get around it.
    My heating schedule is loaded, and stored in a virtual switch. We leave the house, a away schedule is loaded and also the setpoint changed to 18 degrees so I do not have to wait for the next schedule change for the setpoint to be set. This does not alter the schedule stored in the virtual switch. So far so good.
    One of us comes home, the previous schedule still stored in the virtual switch, which is then loaded. The problem is now, that the setpoint will not change back to what it should be until the next change in the schedule. How can I get around that ? Any ideas ?

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Ok so you enter the holidays manually in a sort of calendar which you then check with your virtual devices. I am going to read the thread you have linked to, I like that idea. These holidays are normally when the heating comes on to early, and goes off to early etc which can be a little annoying. And we have clever systems so why not use them to their full capacity...
    I also like that you have the device ref in your device list, very useful. I'll have to see how to do that, again, very useful.
    The device RefID can be shown with a selection on the Custom setup page. It does reset when the system is restarted, but it is useful when editing events.

Leave a comment:

• mikee123
    replied
    Ok so you enter the holidays manually in a sort of calendar which you then check with your virtual devices. I am going to read the thread you have linked to, I like that idea. These holidays are normally when the heating comes on to early, and goes off to early etc which can be a little annoying. And we have clever systems so why not use them to their full capacity...
    I also like that you have the device ref in your device list, very useful. I'll have to see how to do that, again, very useful.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Because I use a set of legal holidays as well as the "observe" day of that holiday for work scheduling I use a set of events that employ the proper rules. While I want the actual holiday in the system, there are also rules as to whether it is a work holiday and if so, what weekday is used for work. I posted about it here, though it has evolved somewhat since that start.

This set of events lets me know if tomorrow is a work holiday for the purposes of "bedtime" for the house, then moves holiday tomorrow to holiday today at midnight. They also take care of storing the current occupancy mode (non-work, work-early, work-mid, work-late), changing the occupancy schedule to non-work, then returning to the original occupancy schedule after the holiday. There is a second holiday device that is used for other than scheduling which is set for every holiday we observe or need to know about in the household.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1186312

Leave a comment:

• mikee123
    replied
    That's quite complex and not sure how I can transfer that to my needs. But I have found a solution. I am using a virtual switch to be able to manually change schedules. I have now created a Away schedule which does not change the virtual switch, so when I come back it just loads the schedule in the virtual switch again.
    I like the idea of the house knowing when its a public holiday. How do you do that ?

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    We use two virtual devices. The first is scheduling with 5 values - vacation, non-work, work early, work-mid and work-late. The second virtual device is home/away. The scheduling device is set manually, but may be controlled by a Google calendar at some point. The home/away is controlled by a combination of geo fences and/or security system status.

Heating, lighting and power are controlled by a combination of the two devices. Events look for either of those two devices to change, then a series of nested events take care of scheduling changes based upon the combination of the two. When the home/awaygoes to away, it loads away schedules for all scheduling values except for vacation. Vacation mode assumes we are away. When the home/away device changes to home the heat, light and power schedules for the scheduling device get loaded. National holidays are automatically handled, taking the work schedule to non-work. After the holiday the system returns to the schedule that was in place before the holiday.

There is a third virtual device that adjusts heating schedules for recovery time based upon outside temperatures. If it is below 20F outside heating schedules are adjusted for the longer recovery from setbacks. This device is also monitored for change and schedules are reevaluated accordingly.

All we do is set the schedule, all other changes are automatic.

There are 30 BLStat schedules that can be loaded to any of the 8 thermostats based upon all of the variables.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X