No announcement yet.

Restart computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLUPS definitely does NOT work if the Powerchute driver is installed. If powerchute was previously installed on the PC, the driver must be uninstalled. Uninstalling Powerchute does not remove the driver. That has to be done in device manager.

Having the computer start at a given time each day is a great idea, assuming it does nothing if the PC is already running. Does it reboot, or just power up if not already running? How do you make it do that?

Comment

Ok.... no powerchute..... maybe i want to try that new one.

It is a setting in tve bios from asus. When the computer is off, it boots.. when the computer is on, nothing happends.

Comment

I already have mine booting when power comes on. I'll check my Lenovo to see if it has the time option you refer to. Thanks!

Comment

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1031562/

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
            Mine (BE550G) are circa 2015. It restarts when power is restored. `

This isn't enabled by default in apcupsd.
            I am reading the manuel but it seems this is an option in he bios , not a software option. Or am I Misunderstanding?

Arranging for Reboot on Power-Up

The final consideration for a automatic reboot after a full power down is to ensure that your computer will automatically reboot when the power is restored.

This is not the normal behavior of most computers as shipped from the factory. Normally after the power is cut and restored, you must explicitly press a button for the power to actually be turned on. You can test your computer by powering it down; shutting off the power (pull the plug); then plugging the cord back in. If your computer immediately starts up, good. There is nothing more to do.

If your computer does not start up, manually turn on the power (by pressing the power on button) and enter your computer's SETUP program (often by pressing DEL during the power up sequence; sometimes by pressing F10). You must then find and change the appropriate configuration parameter to permit instant power on.

Normally, this is located under the BOOT menu item, and will be called something such as Restore on AC/Power Loss or Full-On. The exact words will vary according to the ROM BIOS provider. Generally you will have three options: Last State, Power On, and Power Off. Although Last State should normally work, we recommend setting your computers to Power On. This means that whenever the power is applied they are on. The only way to shut them off is to pull the plug or to have a special program that powers them off (/sbin/poweroff on Linux systems).

If after making all the changes suggested above, you cannot get your computer to automatically reboot, you might examine your halt script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt in the case of Red Hat Linux) and see if the final line that performs the halt or reboot contains the -p option for powering down the computer. It should not with the logic used by apcupsd, but if it does, the -p option could cause your computer to power off while the UPS is still suppling power (i.e. before the UPS kills the power). Depending on the setting of your BIOS, it may prevent your computer from restarting when the power returns. As already mentioned, this should not apply, but in case of problems it is worth a try.

Comment

My reply was intended to clarify that the UPS (APC BE550G in my case) restarts when power is restored.

'This isn't enabled by default in apcupsd.' was intended to clarify that 'shutdown of the UPS at system shutdown' isn't enabled by default in apcupsd.

As far as the computer is concerned - correct, the BIOS must be configured to restart on power application.

Comment

Working...
              X