Restart computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restart computer?

A year ago after a nasty power interruption, with a very dirty restoration, the HS3 database got corrupted. So I thought a UPS with BLUPS would prevent this happening again. I now have a CyberPower UPS and the BLUPS plug-in. But have a concern I don't know how to solve.

Initially I was going to have BLUPS shut down HS and the computer after 10 minutes of loss of power, but a synapse fired in the old geezer brain. After a BLUPS shutdown, what if the power is restored before the UPS battery depletes. With no power interruption to the computer, it will not reboot and HS will not restart.

So is the answer just to let the computer and HS run until the UPS dies?

If the answer is obvious, remember I acknowledged the "old geezer" brain. Thanks!!

Yes this can be an issue. However for myself, I don't shutdown until there's 15% battery left (done through an event). So in most cases this rides the failures just fine. I have yet to be caught by the scenario you pointed out - though, certainly have given it thought..
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I do the same. I wait until the UPS gets to 10% battery, or 5 minutes life and then start shutting things down. I then allow 1 minute to send some warning emails and texts, then shut down the computer. That still leaves a 4 minute window where the power can come back and the computer not restart. My backup for that is having the system send me an email and text that the system is shutting down so I know to check it later to make sure it restored. In a worst case (which has happened) I had to get a neighbor to come and push the start button, but at least I know it needs to be done.

Attached are my events and devices, which have been developed over several years of error and improvement.

1) I double-check the failure to eliminate the quick power blips. Anything less than 6 seconds is not reacted to.

2) I use Insteon, so I shut down the Insteon interface when the power goes off. That prevents HS from flooding the dead interface with commands and locking it out when it doesn't answer. The interface is reactivated on power restore.

3) I double-check the restoral so it doesn't react until the power is on and stable.

4) I also detect when the UPS battery has failed.

5) I also have my internet modem and router on the UPS so the system can send update emails during the power failure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UPS Events 0.png
Views:	339
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1393035

Click image for larger version

Name:	UPS Events 1.png
Views:	288
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	1393038Click image for larger version

Name:	UPS Events 2.png
Views:	301
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	1393036
      Attached Files

Comment

APC UPS can be configured to power down via a command from the monitoring host (running apcupsd). The power down is delayed for a short time, which allows the computer to finish it's orderly shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          APC UPS can be configured to power down via a command from the monitoring host (running apcupsd). The power down is delayed for a short time, which allows the computer to finish it's orderly shutdown.
          That must be a new feature my older APC's don't have. Does it then restart itself when the power comes back on?

Comment

Mine (BE550G) are circa 2015. It restarts when power is restored. `

This isn't enabled by default in apcupsd.

Comment

Mine are from 2009 and use APC Powerchute. Are you using BladeUPS to coordinate the UPS with HS? I had to uninstall Powerchute from the PC to get them to talk to BladeUPS.

I'm not familiar with "APCUPSD", is that a replacement for Powerchute?

Comment

http://www.apcupsd.org/

replaces Powerchute.

Not using BladeUPS. There is an APCUPSD plugin but it isn't required for this function.

Comment

I just use Jeff's (WeatherXML) Restart plugin to issue a Homeseer shutdown. I also have it shutdown my email server along with it's PostgreSQL db prior to the HS shutdown. As I run HS as a FireDaemon service, this works perfectly fine. My APC ups also restarts fine after power is restored - bios on my SFF pc also set to boot on power restore. Power is very stable where I am. But it works when it has to...
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

replaces Powerchute.

Not using BladeUPS. There is an APCUPSD plugin but it isn't required for this function.
                    Great info I was not aware of - thanks!!

Comment

That would be ideal, but don't think my Cyber Power can do that unless running the Cyber Power app in the background which conflicts with BLUPS. Right now letting the USP run until dead seems to be the solution. I'm concerned if on vacation or business trip.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Waiting until UPS is almost dead before BLUPS shutdown is an alternative, but still leaves a small window where if power is restored, computer will not boot. My worry is if we are on vacation, etc. Homeseer and all automation/security would be down until we returned. I think just letting the UPS run and not shutdown HS or computer is my only choice right now. Thanks!

Comment

But then if the power failure outlasts the UPS battery, you run the chance of crashing and corrupting the database due to a sudden dirty shutdown. I take the chance on the small window and had to have a neighbor come in and push the button the one time it actually happened. We have fairly reliable power, but we have had several failures over the years that have outlasted the battery, and only one that hit the window. I recommend doing the clean shutdown rather than creating a software mess that takes hours to fix, and certainly can't be done by a neighbor.

Comment

replaces Powerchute.

Are you saying this will work with "BLUPS" or runs by itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                              Thanks for all the suggestions. Waiting until UPS is almost dead before BLUPS shutdown is an alternative, but still leaves a small window where if power is restored, computer will not boot. My worry is if we are on vacation, etc. Homeseer and all automation/security would be down until we returned. I think just letting the UPS run and not shutdown HS or computer is my only choice right now. Thanks!
                              I am worried about the database corruption as well.

My computer shuts down with 10 minutes ups battery life left.

I let a tablet do a WOL magic package every 7 hours. The tablet runs on its battery with imperihome about 2 hours. The computer also starts at 0700 am in the morning... so in worst case... no home automation for 24 hours......

That replacement of powershute ..... does it work with blups installed.... I read somewhere blups can not work together with powershute.
                              anyone tried?

Cor

Comment

Working...
                              X