False Reports of Power Lost and Power Restored - APC Pro BR 1500 MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

False Reports of Power Lost and Power Restored - APC Pro BR 1500 MS

I recently purchased this APC UPS and it was discovered by the plug-in. All seemed fine except that I am getting notifications for some power lost events but mostly power restored events. There is not necessarily a corresponding power lost for every power restored notice. I changed the "sensitivity" from very sensitive (default) to least sensitive but no change. Could this UPS record a power lost if there was a low line voltage swing or should that not matter. The only "actual" power lost was on 9/1/20 about 11am. It lasted maybe two seconds. All the rest are false events (see attached) Please advise where to look for a cause...

Attached Files

Your log looks very weird with the 737,000 day power failures. I assume you have already rebooted HS since installing the plugin to see if it goes away.

Did you install the software that came with the UPS? If you did, that may be the problem. I know that APC's Powerchute software prevents the BLUPS from working properly. If you have installed it, you must uninstall the driver in Device Manager. The driver does NOT uninstall when you uninstall Powerchute.

BLUPS responds to the UPS's self-test as a power failure and power restore. But on mine that is usually only 3 seconds long and runs every 2 weeks or so.

Comment

After reading posts here, I did not install the Powerchute software. Just turned it on and plugged it in. I have rebooted HS and disabled and reenabled the plugin at least once. I just noticed a few minutes ago that I still had the USB cabled plugged in to my old UPS so not sure that would have interfered or not. It has been unplugged. Not quite sure how you plug-in "finds" the UPS but thinking it may have been confused with two UPS units plugged into USB ports. I will let this run awhile with the other UPS disconnected and see if that was the problem.

So you think that about every two weeks I may get a power lost notification due to the self-test? That could be a problem if I want to use that to trigger a task or event as there would not have been a legitimate power loss. I may have to to make sure it was on battery power for more than a few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by cbabkirk View Post
        So you think that about every two weeks I may get a power lost notification due to the self-test? That could be a problem if I want to use that to trigger a task or event as there would not have been a legitimate power loss. I may have to to make sure it was on battery power for more than a few seconds.
        Yes, you need to have an event that makes sure the power failure lasts more than a few seconds before firing anything for a real power failure.

Comment

I think you are correct. I will make that change in my events. I will still be able to see the logs to see if the false alerts have been reduced.

Comment

Just an update on the spurious false reports of lost power and restored power. Disconnecting the USB cable to the old UPS stopped these false reports. It has been two days and no new reports. I also modified my notification events to require the power status be true for at least 30 secs before reporting the condition. I am all set

Comment

Slightly different subject, but this is probably the place to get the answer. I am about to install my first UPS on Homeseer. Using blades plug-in, I assume that the event a power failure triggers can send me an email reporting the power loss, correct?
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
              2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
              300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
              6 CT-100 tstats
              Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
              18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

Sheriff....I expect you should be able to create an event for any of the device status other than Last Power XXX or the UPS Root device. I use an event using "If device changes and becomes" AND IF "This device has been/for at least" to make sure the condition was true for at least 30 seconds. The THEN is to send an email when power is lost..(or restored).

Comment

Working...
                X