wired temperature monitoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wired temperature monitoring?

Any success/horror stories of devices used for monitoring indoor & outdoor temperatures locally?

In tracking the Honeywell Redlink thermostats I'm noticing some inconsistencies in the temp monitoring. +/- 2 degree swings when I know that's pretty much not possible. I've had a variety of gizmos over the years and I've learned to despise ones that require batteries.

Any recommended simple, plug-in gizmos for monitoring room temp? Ones I can track using this plug-in and HS3?

Here for my Omni Pro 2 panel use wired aux temperature and humidity sensors.

Relating to Homeseer also have always used 1-Wire wired sensors. First weather station stuff in the 1990's was all 1-wire stuff.

I do have a 1-wire temperature sensor next to the thermostat today.

Now tinkering with a sort of hybrid of the 1-wire network mixing in wireless MQTT 1-wire sensors.

Very easy and cheap to do these days using an upgraded SonOff basic WiFi module ($4.00).

Hardware list:
    1 - SonOff basic Wifi
    2 - DS18B20 1-wire sensors

Modifications:
    1 - cut 120VAC relay stuff out of the SonOff basic WiFi module
    2 - wire up one GPIO, 3.3VDC and ground wire for sensors
    3 - update firmware on SonOff basic WiFi module.
    4 - utilize mqtt for temperature readings.

The SonOff basic WiFi device utilizes 120VAC as it's power source. You can also utilize the SonOff SV and use 12VDC to power it.

Tested 5 DS18B20 wired and extended sensors to the SonOff Basic WiFi device.

IE: current Omnistat temperature read is 71.6 and near by DS18B20 sensor reads 72 (rounded to zero place).

Relating to Homeseer 3 this is free using mcsMQTT plugin.

Goofing around a bit here with Home Assistant. Historically also been graphing temperatures with mcsMQTT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	temps.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1265586
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I should clarify, by wired I'm talking the electricity to it. As in, plug it into the wall only, not have any contact/sensor wires running anywhere. Ideally in a wall-wart sort of form-factor. I'm fine with it sending the data back via WiFi, Z-wave or whatever. I just want to avoid batteries as the means to keep it alive.

Comment

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/h...e-multi-sensor

Comment

HS sells a multi function sensor that plugs into an electrical outlet and is zwave. That's what I use to monitor temps away from the thermostat, but I can't vouch for how accurate they are as I've never had anything to compare them to.

... Like the one linked right above my post. Doh!

Comment

The Z-Wave multisensor is around $56 USD.

You can get an el cheapo Xiaomi Aqara Zigbee multisensor for less than $10 if you want to utilize Zigbee. (battery operated).

Click image for larger version  Name:	combosensor.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.0 KB ID:	1265651

Relating to outdoor sensors originally utilize all 1-Wire stuff including an AAG weather station. Over the years added a Davis Weather station which utilizes wireless and a small solar panel. There is a 3VDC battery inside of the weather station which keeps it going during the night.

Switching over to using WeeWx, Meteostick, 1-Wire stuff and MQTT for weather in the future.

You could upgrade the firmware on an iTead S20 module with Tasmota or Espurna firmware and just connect a DS18B20 temperature sensor or a DHT22 (combo sensor) to a GPIO port.

It is on Amazon Prime for $14.90. DS18b20 or DHT22 sensors are less than $5.

You can also add a arduinio style PIR for less than $10.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ITead-S20.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	1265646
            Itead S20 Smart Socket, Wireless Remote control plug,Compatible with Alexa,Control your devices from Anywhere via APP(US Plug)

Make it a little project and your first endeavor to using MQTT over WiFi.

Here is what the web gui would look like using Tasmota or Espurna firmware.

The Tasmota firmware on the left is connected to a combo garage door open/closed/button sensor above the GDO.

The Espurna firmware on the right is my first multiple 1-Wire temperature sensor SonOff device.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_74076.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	1265647

xxx
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
              HS sells a multi function sensor that plugs into an electrical outlet and is zwave. That's what I use to monitor temps away from the thermostat, but I can't vouch for how accurate they are as I've never had anything to compare them to.

I think I already have one of those. I'll have to dig around. I tried using it a while ago and had mixed success (for the motion portion). Off to find it...

Comment

The one thing I've learned over the years is 'the simpler, the better'. All-in-one and not 'lashed together' tends to be less trouble to babysit over time.

Another, somewhat morbid, perspective is 'how readily could anyone else figure it the Hell out' should you be 'unavailable'. The older I get, the more relevant this becomes. But even for vacations or work trips, you'd generally be wise to have things not be too fragile or have unexpectedly complication maintenance requirements. As in, weird-*** alerts for batteries coming from who-knows-where. Had an old Leak Frog in a basement vanity start chirping. My 10 year old's hearing was helpful in finding the danged thing.

Thus simple plug-in gizmos rate higher marks for me.

I'm working on labeling & documenting more of the things I've got running here. Not for any immediate reasons, thankfully.

Comment

Yes here utilize wired sensors to the Leviton Omni Pro security panel that will never fail me including wired temperature and humidity sensors.

I am at 2 daughter boards here with a total of 48 zones plus multiple relays controlled by the panel.

The alarm panel has a battery back up and will send alerts to the alarm monitoring company and myself with whatever.

IE: Flood sensors next to sump pump and ejector pump. Water shutoff saftey valve is wired.

Over doing this now as I get same alerts directly from the panel these days.

Wireless WiFi gizmos working on 120VAC and using custom firmware 1-Wire sensors are cheap and very accurate.

Relating to using 1-wire technology here since the 90's over did it with wired with cat5e sensors in every room of the house, garage and outside. Still using the same sensors which have never failed for me. The new 1-wire endeavor is relating to using hybrid 120VAC wireless connected hubs. One in the basement and one in the attic. I repurposed most of the old cat5e to ethernet use. (well too have ethernet ports in just about every room in the house these days).

I do not really have any wireless automation dependencies or cloud dependences; that is me though. I am just tinkering now with WiFi stuff.

Only work is hardware modifications which would be a learning experience if you choose to try this methodology.

Work 100% of the time if you take care of the dependencies.

The multiple function SonOff WiFi module that I am testing is as fast using mqtt as the wired to the alarm panel sensors; well except for being wireless.

There are a lot which most people never consider and mostly assume when automating.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi

I have used in the last 10 years 1 wire, without major problems. Occasionally it happens to have some temperature sensor that does not read at sampling time ....

At this moment I have in tests:

a) 5 x DHT22; 3 x on arduino mega + ethernet shield and 2 x on a NodeMCU, using mcsMQTT with mosquitto in a raspeberry pi 3. I had some problems with the arduinos disconnecting from the network after about 24h After implementing a software reset they started working in a more stable way

b)10 Xiaomi aqara Zigbee multisensor with the Conbee dongle usb and the Jowihue plugin Very impressed with the functioning of these sensors

Attached Files

Comment

Bought a Fibaro Universal Sensor for this purpose but haven't implemented it yet. Says it works with four DS18B20s from the one sensor. Those DS18B20s are the same 1-wire units that have been around forever, if I'm not mistaken. And pretty accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Here for my Omni Pro 2 panel use wired aux temperature and humidity sensors.

Relating to Homeseer also have always used 1-Wire wired sensors. First weather station stuff in the 1990's was all 1-wire stuff.

I do have a 1-wire temperature sensor next to the thermostat today.

Now tinkering with a sort of hybrid of the 1-wire network mixing in wireless MQTT 1-wire sensors.

Very easy and cheap to do these days using an upgraded SonOff basic WiFi module ($4.00).

Hardware list:
                        1 - SonOff basic Wifi
                        2 - DS18B20 1-wire sensors

Modifications:
                        1 - cut 120VAC relay stuff out of the SonOff basic WiFi module
                        2 - wire up one GPIO, 3.3VDC and ground wire for sensors
                        3 - update firmware on SonOff basic WiFi module.
                        4 - utilize mqtt for temperature readings.

The SonOff basic WiFi device utilizes 120VAC as it's power source. You can also utilize the SonOff SV and use 12VDC to power it.

Tested 5 DS18B20 wired and extended sensors to the SonOff Basic WiFi device.

IE: current Omnistat temperature read is 71.6 and near by DS18B20 sensor reads 72 (rounded to zero place).

Relating to Homeseer 3 this is free using mcsMQTT plugin.

Goofing around a bit here with Home Assistant. Historically also been graphing temperatures with mcsMQTT.
                        This is exactly what I was looking for. From your description it seems that the SonOff needs slight modification. Could I use the SonOff TH16 which has a port to connect a temperature sensor. I assume it would do the same thing. .

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post

I like these devices, but the temp sensors in my experience are WAY off. I have one that is 40 degrees off, HS support told me to add an 'adjustment' in the devices config page. Unreal that would think this is ok and sellable...

Comment

This is exactly what I was looking for. From your description it seems that the SonOff needs slight modification. Could I use the SonOff TH16 which has a port to connect a temperature sensor. I assume it would do the same thing. .

Way overkill to use a SonOff TH16 when you can DIY a SonOff Basic which sells for around $4.00.

Cheapest way to go is to use a SonOff WiFi basic modded to access GPIO ports and VCC and Ground. I put terminals on it.

With one SonOff WiFi basic I have 5 extended DS18B20's and doing fine. Finished the basement Sonoff which uses outdoor, basement and main floor temperature sensors. Next one is for the attic which will do attic and second floor sensors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1262421&d=1543344140.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1274265

BUT that is all I can do with it.

Another SonOff basic doing a combo DHT-22 temperature and humidity sensor. I can only do one of these.

Other tinkering here has been to use an RPi and connecting it to a Dallas 1 wire hub and run OWFS to MQTT on it.

This works with all of the 1-wire devices in the OWFS library.

What would be nice would be SonOff firmware that had the entire OWFS library in it so you could turn the SonOff in to a 1-wire OWFS hub.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Bill,

Your post got me building 3rd SonOff WiFI basic for temperature monitoring yesterday...

This one is for the attic and second floor.

Hardware modes done:

1 - cut traces for HV to LV on relay
                              2 - soldered a 5 pin connector to it
                              3 - glued a 3 pin terminal connector on cover
                              4 - soldered VCC, Ground and GPIO pins to terminal and resistor inside between DQ and VCC.

Most time consuming part was waiting for the glue to dry holding the terminals to the cover of the SonOff basic WiFi device.

Software

1 - firmware update

Testing right now with one of the cabled DS18B20 sensors.

This one is replacing an RPi / Node Red / OWFS / MQTT configuration that is in the attic.

I see you scuba dive...here way long time ago took a class at school (for a bit wanted to do marine biology) with Ralph Erickson and got PADI certified in the 1970's....
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X