No announcement yet.

Device History Options "Default Style" and "Default Use Markers" not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device History Options "Default Style" and "Default Use Markers" not working

When changing the "Default Style" and "Default Use Markers" in the Options tab of on the Device History tab for a device in 1.3.7.0 do not take effect. I was not able to change the Values to Line and disable Markers (which was default/initial setting); they are always set to Step and enable Markers. I am using HS3 3.0.0.500.

Besides resolving this, is there a way to force a device to use the default after playing with customization/overrides?

The order of precedent for those settings is:

1. The settings used the last time you graphed that device, then
    2. The choices on the chart page (assuming you're on the chart page), which are set by default to
    3. The options set on the Options tab for the defaults.

Every time you click "Chart", it saves the settings you used for that device to the plugin's ini file.

Comment

I did not use the Plugins > Device History > Charts page. I displayed he chart for a device in the device details that I accessed from the device management page, then clicked on the Options tab and changed the "Default Style:" to Step and checked the "Default Use Markers:", pressed save and displayed the chart. Then went back to the options tab to set the "Default Style:" to Line and unchecked "Default Use Markers:", pressed Save and the chart did not update the style and Use Marker. When I go back to the options tab, the Style is Step and Use Marker is checked though I changed them. I would have expected that the chart switches to my new options and not stuck with Style = Step and Use Marker = checked. It is not clear from above what the behavior should be.

Changing the "Default Period Type:" and "Default Periods:" on the options tab take effect each time I change them and press Save

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-17_13-46-55.png
Views:	104
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	1293116
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood. The precedence is still based on this list I outlined above, but changing those options on the device page and clicking "Save" directly sets the saved values for this device as if you'd charted them with those options, so ti's really the same thing.

However I can't recreate what you're describing, as I went to a device of my own and this is the behavior I experienced/expected:

1. I saw the graph (which was line+markers),
        2. went to options and changed to step+no markers and hit save,
        3. it immediately switched back and recreated the graph as requested,
        4. went back to options and set it to line+no markers, hit save,
        5. it immediately recreated the graph as requested.

I closed the device page and went back and it was still correctly showing line+no markers on both the chart and the options (the last settings I had clicked "Save" on).

Comment

I did the steps 1. to 5. that you outlined above and at step 4. it does not work for me, i.e. it remains at step+markers. While doing this, I had the plugin ini file open in notepad++ and as I make changes, notepad++ detects that the ini file changes but the two first setting for the device remain at "0,True" in all cases. Other changes such as the Title, Default Period are applied as I press Save and reflected in the ini file and chart but not the "Default Style" and "Default Use Markers". The browsers (tried Chrome, Firefox, and IE) is on a different computer (Windows 10) than the HS3 server (Windows 7). No error in the log file

Details from the ini file for this device
          Code:
          11=0,True,14,2,2,*,*,This is a test,,1
          What tracing or debugging would be helpful?

Comment

Having problems? Follow these steps first.

That thread provides details on what I need to start troubleshooting any issues, including this one. Based on a couple of posts in this thread, I see you're running HS3 .500 on Windows 7, so mostly what I need is the TRACE level Plugin Log File of you opening the device details page, changing the settings, and clicking "Save".

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
              Having problems? Follow these steps first.

That thread provides details on what I need to start troubleshooting any issues, including this one. Based on a couple of posts in this thread, I see you're running HS3 .500 on Windows 7, so mostly what I need is the TRACE level Plugin Log File of you opening the device details page, changing the settings, and clicking "Save".
              Attached is the log; I started with Line/no Makers, then switched to Step/Markers and tried it a few times. At some point I also pressed the Clear button which switched back to Line/No Markers. Using Device History version 1.3.7.0 and HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500 (Windows 7).

HSPI_SKWARE_DEVICE_HISTORY.zip

Comment

Thanks - I can't explain yet why it worked for me, but I did see something in the logs that lead me to a problem in the way I was referencing the fields in the form. So before I put this in the updater, can you give it a shot and see if it fixes the issue for you?
                Attached Files

Comment

I just tried it and version 1.3.7.1 resolved it. I tried different combination changing the default style and default use markers on the device history options for several devices and all worked fine and as expected.

While doing this I noticed the the device history options does not include an option to change Chart Value/Delta. Never noticed it before only now when I went from the Chart page to the Device History tab for a device testing combinations. it might be interesting to add Chart Value/Delta option to the device history options tab for several devices, but this is beyond this thread.

Comment

I just updated to 1.3.7.0 and now I have markers on my graphs even when the box is not checked.

EDIT: Never mind, I noticed the options for markers in the bottom for the additional data points. False alarm! Great work!
                    Last edited by zymurgist; March 21, 2019, 12:03 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Ok, so I was able to get the additional Y1 devices to be line without markers in the main charts, but when I run an event to create a chart png file, those options aren't there and they always default to Step & Markers, even though my default options are Line and No Markers. Any plans to add more options to the Event functionality?

Thanks!

Comment

I'll look into it - my primary concern is not breaking existing events... As a workaround in the meantime, you can always use a script instead!

Comment

Not quite sure how to script the creation of a PNG. I'm using the charts on a web site, so not HSTouch. Do you have a sample script I can reference?
                          Thanks!

EDIT: Got it working in scripts. Was easier than I thought it would be. Thanks!
                          Last edited by zymurgist; March 27, 2019, 08:49 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Working...
                          X