Detect physical/local input at device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detect physical/local input at device

I bought EasyTrigger to easily be able to toggle lights which, among other things, has allowed me to put back into service my once useless X-10 stick-on control pads and control 6 devices with one pad. It perfectly performs a function that should've been built into HS3 in the first place. Thank you Spud!

Now I'm hoping that this or another plugin can patch another deficiency with HS3 and might be able to sense when a switch has physically been pressed up or down at least. I like to blink devices I have on timers, on and off, two minutes ahead of their turning off. This allows the users to push the switches on to extend the timer or down to cancel events and also turn off the devices. Problem is I have to jump through major hoops to accomplish this, setting up virtual devices, disabling events, and whatnot, just to accomplish what should be simple blinks. It seems to me that HS3 must know at some level whether it has sent the ON command, for example, or has instead received a notification from a switch that it's status has been changed to ON locally at the device itself.

Hoping this could be a feature added to an existing plugin like EasyTrigger, or could be a part of new one.

I own Z-wave and Insteon devices. Any insights would be appreciated.

You can already do this with Insteon devices assuming you're using the Sandler Insteon plug-in. You can use the trigger "transmits an ON/OFF command". Z-Wave, not so much.

Comment

Huh... Well, there it is. Local input detection, on Insteon devices at least, looks to be possible, but only with a purchased plugin. Thanks andyf!

I only have a few Insteon devices and had never noticed that function. Now I wish I'd stuck with Insteon instead of deciding to go mostly Z-Wave. Going to play with these capabilities later this week. In the meantime, attached is a screenshot so anyone reading this who doesn't own Mark Sandler's Insteon plugin can get look at this incredibly basic ability that the Z-Wave plugin (and HS3 in general) sadly lack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HS3 Insteon.png Views:	1 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	1239597

Looks good! Pressing "UP" on my office light successfully ran the blink event. While triggering the office light on with an event did not run the blink event.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HS3 Insteon 2.png Views:	1 Size:	27.0 KB ID:	1239598
      Last edited by Panamon; August 12, 2018, 02:22 AM. Reason: Ran a quick test and posted results.

Comment

This isn't something I can add in EasyTrigger because it is very specific to each protocol

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
          This isn't something I can add in EasyTrigger because it is very specific to each protocol
          I was hoping there was something in HS3 at a deeper level that could be tapped to identify if the commands originated at the device or the software.
          Appreciate the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamon View Post

I was hoping there was something in HS3 at a deeper level that could be tapped to identify if the commands originated at the device or the software.
            Appreciate the reply.
            There likely is something at a deeper level. Since HS *knows* whether it initiated the command to the device or if it simply received a status update from the device, there could be some sort of native determination as to whether HS initiated the command or not. This would probably be difficult to do in a plug-in.

You should send a request to support@homeseer.com
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              There likely is something at a deeper level. Since HS *knows* whether it initiated the command to the device or if it simply received a status update from the device, there could be some sort of native determination as to whether HS initiated the command or not. This would probably be difficult to do in a plug-in.

You should send a request to support@homeseer.com
              Mark Sandler accomplished it with his Insteon plugin 9 different ways.
              Yeah, I'll send them an email, as should anyone else that reads this and agrees that this basic function should be included in HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamon View Post

Mark Sandler accomplished it with his Insteon plugin 9 different ways.
                Yeah, I'll send them an email, as should anyone else that reads this and agrees that this basic function should be included in HS3.
                Insteon is different in that it’s protocal calls for that capability in the devices. As a result it is nothing the Insteon plug-in accomplished, rather than simply reporting what the devices provide. Z-Wave only reports the device changing state, unless the device has the new “Central Scene” capability. With Central Scene devices like HomeSeer switches and dimmers, you have a broader range of reporting local actions. A Central Scene device might be able to report all that an Insteon device does, but without it Z-Wave devices only report that their state changed. HomeSeer may be able to add the capability to add a trigger such as “This device was controlled locally”, by identifying that a status change report came in without a control command being sent out. I would think this could be done in the Z-Wave plug in since all the commands are initiated there and all reports return there.
                Last edited by randy; September 8, 2018, 10:38 AM.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  HomeSeer may be able to add the capability to add a trigger such as “This device was controlled locally”, by identifying that a status change report came in without a control command being sent out. I would think this could be done in the Z-Wave plug in since all the commands are initiated there and all reports returne there.
                  That's what I'm hoping for. All I got from HS support was that they'd run it by their engineers. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

Working...
                  X