Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spud View Post

why?
    For aesthetic purposes on the device management page. No reason to have all those buttons and drop-downs cluttering up the page for virtual status devices that can't be controlled. I can't control the rain or the rain gauge. I only need to update status for various virtual child devices when the rain gauge has a status change.

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post

For aesthetic purposes on the device management page. No reason to have all those buttons and drop-downs cluttering up the page for virtual status devices that can't be controlled. I can't control the rain or the rain gauge. I only need to update status for various virtual child devices when the rain gauge has a status change.

--Barry
      This has been my reason as well. But following this conversation has made me rethink it and realize there are good reasons to keep it the way it is.
      -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post

--Barry
        Even though I'm not sure aesthetic is a good enough reason, I added this in version 3.0.0.63. Now any action that set a device will first try to find a control with the value provided and if no control can be found it will simply set the device value using the SetDeviceValueByRef function

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

Even though I'm not sure aesthetic is a good enough reason, I added this in version 3.0.0.63. Now any action that set a device will first try to find a control with the value provided and if no control can be found it will simply set the device value using the SetDeviceValueByRef function
          LOL, yes I'm anal. Thanks Spud, you da man! I was going to suggest only making it available to status devices not owned by a plugin, but available to all is more better.

I've managed to marry HS to SmartThings by making JSON calls between the ST hub and HS. Works great, but it yields a ton of virtual devices in HS to manage. So this is very helpful to me.

As an aside, this update allows ET to control any device that is presented within the Events page device drop-down list. That wasn't the case prior, which I think led to confusion sometimes... (e.g. "I know I chose the right device in the event I set up, but it's not responding... Must be something wrong with my trigger??")

​​​​​​​Thanks again,

--Barry

Comment

Working...
          X