Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generating Dynamic groups after restart...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generating Dynamic groups after restart...

I just wanted to share something that is happening with larger amounts of dynamic groups.
    After restarting plug-in or Homeseer only static groups showed up when going into config. Scared the heck out of me as I spent a lot of time creating a lot of groups.

I checked config file and dynamic groups where there but would not show up in plug-in config.

Well, after a few minutes dynamic groups would show up after re-load. I guess it takes some time to re-generate groups after restart when you have larger amount of dynamic groups?

I love this feature!! That said, may be it wold be good idea to put some message about dynamic groups being generated with some delay with larger numbers so I don't get heart attack next time! LOL

Did I say I love dynamic groups? Thanks Spud

how many do you have? Could you post the cotent of your ini file?
    thanks

Comment

Over 2oo and adding more as we speak... I understand it is more than average user will have. I can email you ini file if interested. There is nothing special just big number of groups.

Quick question. Will larger number of dynamic groups affect speed of triggering events?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post
        Over 2oo and adding more as we speak... I understand it is more than average user will have. I can email you ini file if interested. There is nothing special just big number of groups.

Quick question. Will larger number of dynamic groups affect speed of triggering events?
        Definitely affects the speed that the ET config page loads, especially when you have a huge amount of devices. I've tried not to overuse the dynamic groups for that reason and use the static groups unless the dynamic makes more sense (like a battery group).

--Barry

Comment

I'm fine if it just affects loading of config page as long as it doesn't affect speed of events processing after that.
          Ideally we want minimum of restarts...

​​​​.

Comment

It should not affect the speed of events processing
            please send you ini to spud.webb.4@gmail.com, I may be able to speed up a little the loading of the groups when the plug-in initializes

Comment

I'll do that tomorrow as I will be adding more today.
              Thanks Spud.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post
                I'll do that tomorrow as I will be adding more today.
                Thanks Spud.
                I haven't used Dynamic groups at all yet because I really don't understand how to use them. Could you give me a good example of a dynamic group and how you use it?

Comment

Baudi, there are so many ways to use it. Big thing is that devices are automatically included in groups based on conditions. Once you start playing with it a little bit it will makes sense. It is fairly self explanatory. Just to give you basic idea here is an example.

Let's say you want to do group for outside lights. With static group you would go and add every outside light switch to the group manually.

With dynamic group it is much easier as long as you are well organized and name your devices right.

You can define "Outside lights" group as this. If DEVICE GROUP is equal SWITCHES and NAME contains word OUTSIDE Device group and Name would be fields on device list.

If these conditions are met the device will be automatically included in that group.

I hope that makes sense.. Charles

Comment

Originally posted by baudi View Post

I haven't used Dynamic groups at all yet because I really don't understand how to use them. Could you give me a good example of a dynamic group and how you use it?
                    Another good use is to keep an eye on battery level for all devices. If you set up a dynamic group named Batteries, and then set the rule as "Name Contains Battery", then all devices that contain "battery" as part of the name will be included in the group. You can also specify any that you want excluded from the group (see example below).

Click image for larger version  Name:	dynamic.png Views:	1 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	1297504

You can then set up an event where If any device in group "Battery" has its value set and its value is less than 30%, then send yourself an email with details about the offender: device name, device value, device location and device reference number....

Click image for larger version  Name:	battery_event.png Views:	1 Size:	453.9 KB ID:	1297503

Click image for larger version

Name:	text.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1297508

--Barry

Comment

Thanks very much guys, very helpful. I appreciate it.

Comment

It should be in your email..

Originally posted by spud View Post
                        It should not affect the speed of events processing
                        please send you ini to spud.webb.4@gmail.com, I may be able to speed up a little the loading of the groups when the plug-in initializes

Comment

Working...
                        X