Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In device groups, can the action only apply to the device that triggered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jvm View Post
    One additional thought, instead of having a "NOOP" as you've proposed, you could, instead, have a check box that says "Send Command Only If Expression Results In a New Value" with a default of being checked.

This would then be useful for any type of Group Expression rather than just the "IF" type statement.

For example, if I had very simple expression that was just the value of "0", and I checked the "Send Command Only If Expression Results In a New Value" a Set Device command would only be sent to devices that were not already zero.
    You're right that's probably better, I will implement it like this unless there is strong disagreement from others.
    Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

You're right that's probably better, I will implement it like this unless there is strong disagreement from others.
      Sounds great to me.
      -Wade

Comment

Thanks. A check may also work better as it avoids an error if you combined the "IF" with other expressions. E.g., it wouldn't be clear what would happen if you had an expression like:
        IF( [test], 50, NOOP ) + 10

Which could evaluate to either 60, or NOOP + 10 and, thus, give an unpredicable result (i.e., what would be the meaning of "NOOP + 10")

Also, in the "I'm sure you realize this but just in case ...." category
        • The Easy Trigger Set All Devices in Group action allows you to set a delay between each action. If the expression evaluates to the same value (so you don't need to send a command), then you should also not add the delay. In other words, if there are 100 devices but only 5 need to be changed, it would make more sense if you didn't delay between each of the 100 devices, but only between the 5 times you need to send a command.
        • Also, a question - is there any way to add a "Poll All Devices in Group" function? If so, that would also be useful particularly in a HomeSeer startup scenario where HomeSeer and the devices may be out of sync. I see this as something that really should be in the z-wave plugin but HomeSeer doesn't seem to want to put it in there.

Comment

version 3.0.0.66 is in the Beta section with this new "Send Command Only If Expression Results In a New Value" option

Please test and let me know. Thanks.

Comment

spud Thanks a bunch! I just changed my 'All Lights OFF' routine to use the new checkmark. It was great to see the only device control commands being sent are for the devices that are ON. It works nicely. My lights are a mixture of insteon, z-wave+, and TP-Link. Your grouping feature is really easy to tie all these into one group.

Comment

Seems to work well. My only feedback is that I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to turn this on (maybe in some rare circumstances), so I'd check the box by default, but that's just a personal preference.
              Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Spud have to try this

Comment

Seems to work well. My only feedback is that I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to turn this on (maybe in some rare circumstances), so I'd check the box by default, but that's just a personal preference.
                  Thanks.
                  There are 2 reasons:
                  Performance: when this option is checked, the plugin has to retrieved the current value from HS, which could be costly if done a lot of times, so I don't want to do it if it is not necessary.
                  Continuity: if for some reason some users have exiting actions that rely on the value to always be set no matter what, I don't want this update to break their events.

Comment

There are 2 reasons:
                    Performance: when this option is checked, the plugin has to retrieved the current value from HS, which could be costly if done a lot of times, so I don't want to do it if it is not necessary.
                    Continuity: if for some reason some users have exiting actions that rely on the value to always be set no matter what, I don't want this update to break their events.
                    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense (particularly the Continuity part).
                    As an FYI on performance, I can confirm that the delay from having to execute the additional check appears to be negligible compared to the time it used to take to send commands. I have some events with over 100 devices that need to be checked (turning off 100 Z-Wave switches). Most of the time 95% are already off. There used to be quite a lag between the time you triggered the event and the time the remaining lights were all off. Now it appears almost instant so it looks like the performance hit of having to do the check is far lower than sending a Z-wave command.

Best regards,
                    Jim

Comment

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense (particularly the Continuity part).
                      As an FYI on performance, I can confirm that the delay from having to execute the additional check appears to be negligible compared to the time it used to take to send commands. I have some events with over 100 devices that need to be checked (turning off 100 Z-Wave switches). Most of the time 95% are already off. There used to be quite a lag between the time you triggered the event and the time the remaining lights were all off. Now it appears almost instant so it looks like the performance hit of having to do the check is far lower than sending a Z-wave command.

Best regards,
                      Jim
                      This is good to hear. Thanks for testing and reporting.
                      -Wade

Comment

On a related note, since a new release will be happening at some time in the future, another Group function I'd like to see is suggested here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...18#post1318018

Comment

Working...
                        X