Understanding Random Event Triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericg View Post

The EasyTrigger event specification would include and extend everything that is currently offered by the “Run Another Event” selection in the drop down list. The “EasyTrigger: Run Random Delayed Event” option would contain the following addition:
    A time interval T would be accepted by the event action dialog. It would define the limits of a random delay to be added to the start time for the event being scheduled. A random number, scaled from zero to T would be added to whatever might otherwise be the computed start time for event B. (T = 0 is the special case that reduces the event invocation action to the original “Run Another Event” option.)

I like this one and could also see using a Trigger I described above:

"This will trigger [x times] at random time(s) within an Easy Trigger schedule". The schedule would have to be daily unless you could specify "This will trigger [x times] at random time(s) daily within an Easy Trigger schedule". It could still be problematic if there were multiple blocks within each day.

Putting the two together could be useful for randomizing lighting when away

If This will trigger [x times] at random time(s) within an Easy Trigger schedule
    THEN Turn the lights ON
    THEN Run the Lights Off Event after a random delay of up to T

Another possibility would be a randomized Delayed Device action working as the Randomized Event Delay you describe.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Another possibility would be a randomized Delayed Device action working as the Randomized Event Delay you describe.
      Agreed. I've mulled, but have not considered carefully, using delayed device actions as opposed to delayed event actions. Off hand, it seems that the choice may be something of a push from the user perspective. If so, then I would recommend whatever's easiest for the implementer.

BTW (and off topic), on my wish list: event conditions which interrogate the elapsed time since a specified event was last triggered. EasyTrigger lets you do that for devices, why not events also?

Comment

Working...
      X