Event creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi rprade,

I have followed your example and it is working. One question about second AND IF HomeSeer Demo Heat has a value equal to ON, why is necessary to check that Heat have value of ON?

Comment

As I stated, I habitually do that to keep Events from repeatedly running. Both Events will trigger whenever the temperature is set or changed, and the Event would run if the comparison is true. Once the temperature is equal to or above the set point, the Off Event would run each time the temperature device is updated. Using the controlled device as a Condition, will only allow the Event to run the first time the Temperature is set to a value equal or greater than the set point. The same would also be true of the On Event.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you sir,
        Now just to make it pretty in HS touch..

Comment

[/QUOTE] This can also be done with a simple script, but in my system I make every effort to accomplish things through Event actions, only using a script when absolutely necessary. I only use a handful of scripts. The control of a garage heater is a perfect use case for Easy Trigger's comparison Condition.[/QUOTE]

What is more resources demanding scripting or events? Reason why i'm asking is that in log file i can see lots of reports of, in lack of proper words, turning fan off ( even if fan is off ), setting home temperature to 20C even if there is not change in temperature. Is this kind of behavior normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

This can also be done with a simple script, but in my system I make every effort to accomplish things through Event actions, only using a script when absolutely necessary. I only use a handful of scripts. The control of a garage heater is a perfect use case for Easy Trigger's comparison Condition.
            What is more resources demanding scripting or events? Reason why i'm asking is that in log file i can see lots of reports of, in lack of proper words, turning fan off ( even if fan is off ), setting home temperature to 20C even if there is not change in temperature. Is this kind of behavior normal?
            What you are seeing are device control log entries. They could be initiated by a plug-in, an event, manual control, voice control, control through the Device Manager or Mobile. When controlled through an Event or script, you can check the status of the device and only control it if the value is being changed. It depends on the nature of the device and the plug-in that controls it whether a device is set without actually changing the value. For instance my temperature (OneWire) and energy (GEM) monitoring devices are set once every 30-60 seconds, even if the value doesn’t change. There are two settings in each device that can affect what you see in the log. “Do not log commands from this device:” and “Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:”. The first will stop the logging of commands acting on the device and the second will prevent the device from being “set” unless the value is changed.

As far as whether an Event or Script uses more resources, I would bet the difference is negligible. If each are accomplishing the same result, they are probably going to use similar resources.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              What you are seeing are device control log entries. They could be initiated by a plug-in, an event, manual control, voice control, control through the Device Manager or Mobile. When controlled through an Event or script, you can check the status of the device and only control it if the value is being changed. It depends on the nature of the device and the plug-in that controls it whether a device is set without actually changing the value. For instance my temperature (OneWire) and energy (GEM) monitoring devices are set once every 30-60 seconds, even if the value doesn’t change. There are two settings in each device that can affect what you see in the log. “Do not log commands from this device:” and “Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:”. The first will stop the logging of commands acting on the device and the second will prevent the device from being “set” unless the value is changed.

As far as whether an Event or Script uses more resources, I would bet the difference is negligible. If each are accomplishing the same result, they are probably going to use similar resources.
              Thank you sir,

Im trying to make it easier to run, process data and make it more organized. I understand that due to lack of experience, my events are probably not efficient as they should.

Comment

Using groups is a good way to keep events organized. My groups are mostly by room with a misc., irrigation, water leaking and hstouch groups to cover whole house type events. I only have 125 events and about 25 scripts. This is a small number compared to many of the members. You can move events between groups easily so you don't have to get it perfect the first time.

Comment

I had same idea. I have created group for each type of activities.

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post
                    Using groups is a good way to keep events organized. My groups are mostly by room with a misc., irrigation, water leaking and hstouch groups to cover whole house type events. I only have 125 events and about 25 scripts. This is a small number compared to many of the members. You can move events between groups easily so you don't have to get it perfect the first time.
                    I have received document you sent me and downloaded it. Honestly to say, it looks quite scary. Lots of instructions and most of them look and sound familiar from school.

Comment

The more you look into it and begin to do it the easier it will get. Programming is like learning another language - but you have alot of technical background to draw on which will make it easier.

Regards

Comment

You can easily accomplish this with the Easy Trigger plug-in. It can compare devices among many other things. You can also do this with a simple script. You could also put an actual Z-Wave thermostat in the garage. SteveMSG’s V-Stat plug-in can also do it.
                        RPrade,

How do i edit schedule on Vstat?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

RPrade,

How do i edit schedule on Vstat?
                          Looking at the description of the VStat program here, it states:
                          • Each VStat has a 7 day schedule to automatically switch between Day and Night SetPoints at 15 minute resolution.
                          • The target temperature can be temporarily raised or lowered manually as well as toggled between High/Low SetPoints.
                          • Away(Frost) mode will interrupt the schedules and set the target temperature to the Away(Frost) SetPoint until Auto is reselected.
                          • Boost mode will force the heating/cooling to On for a period of time in 15 minute increments. The increment is configurable.
                          • There is a separate (windows only) program for quickly creating and editing 7 day schedules for the VStats although they can also use schedules created and edited in the excellent EasyTrigger plug-in.
                          You might want to post your question to the author as I do not use the plug-in.

Comment

Looking at the description of the VStat program here, it states:
                            • Each VStat has a 7 day schedule to automatically switch between Day and Night SetPoints at 15 minute resolution.
                            • The target temperature can be temporarily raised or lowered manually as well as toggled between High/Low SetPoints.
                            • Away(Frost) mode will interrupt the schedules and set the target temperature to the Away(Frost) SetPoint until Auto is reselected.
                            • Boost mode will force the heating/cooling to On for a period of time in 15 minute increments. The increment is configurable.
                            • There is a separate (windows only) program for quickly creating and editing 7 day schedules for the VStats although they can also use schedules created and edited in the excellent EasyTrigger plug-in.
                            You might want to post your question to the author as I do not use the plug-in.
                            Thank you,
                            Best Regards

Comment

Working...
                            X