Trigger event on All devices in group being in a certain state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigger event on All devices in group being in a certain state

I just installed a couple of WD200 dimmers. I want to configure the status LEDs to let me know if I have any lights turn on, on a given floor. It's easy enough to Turn an LED on if "Any Device in Group Changes" and becomes greater than zero. But I'm looking for some logic to trigger on "ALL Devices in a Group have a status of zero" to turn the LED off again. I gotta believe someone has done this. Any ideas?

Originally posted by paul View Post
    I just installed a couple of WD200 dimmers. I want to configure the status LEDs to let me know if I have any lights turn on, on a given floor. It's easy enough to Turn an LED on if "Any Device in Group Changes" and becomes greater than zero. But I'm looking for some logic to trigger on "ALL Devices in a Group have a status of zero" to turn the LED off again. I gotta believe someone has done this. Any ideas?
    This is how I do it:

If Any device in group changes and becomes 0
    And If All devices in group have a value equal to 0

Comment

Ahhhhh...... Ok. This is what happens when you don't explore far enough - I was looking at the initial Trigger, which only says ANY. I didn't go further to set up an ANY, and then try a second trigger, which now gives the option of ALL.

I was forgetting that HS allows the Non-First trigger to have different actions than the subsequent triggers. Many thanks!

Paul

Comment

Hmmm... Ok. Next issue. I've tried setting the above, but it only works if another trigger actually force sets everything to zero. Example:

- I created an event called Upstairs Any Lights on. If any device in the group was set and is greater than zero, turn on the LED
        - I created an event called Upstairs All Lights off. If any device in group changes and becomes 0, AND if all devices in group = 0, then turn off the LED
        - I created an event called Upstairs Lights Off. If someone double taps a particular switch off, then turn off all lights in group

What I'm finding is:

1. If I turn on any light upstairs, the LED comes on, as desired
        2. If I turn that same light off again, LED does not turn off. (Or any other combination - turn lights on, then turn each one off until all are off - LED stays lit)
        3. If I trigger the "Upstairs Lights Off" event, which sets all upstairs lights to 0, the LED will then go off.

It is almost like EasyTrigger setting the devices to 0 is different than individual devices getting turned off. Yet if I manually turn off the light I just turned on, the Value shows ' Status: 0 = OFF ' and 'Value: 0 = "Off" ' .

Any ideas what I'm missing? Screenshots attached.
        Attached Files

Comment

Rats. I thought this would solve exactly the same problem i've been having. Unfortunately, one of the motion sensors is x10 and the other is insteon. The x10 value for no motion is 0. The insteon value for no motion is also zero, but it is mapped to "no motion" on the status Graphics tab.

Comment

Let's clarify what is actually happening...

2. If I turn that same light off again, LED does not turn off. (Or any other combination - turn lights on, then turn each one off until all are off - LED stays lit)
            Is the Off event (top one in screenshot) running as it should and just the LED is not turning off? Or is the event actually not running?

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post
              Let's clarify what is actually happening...

Is the Off event (top one in screenshot) running as it should and just the LED is not turning off? Or is the event actually not running?
              The Off event is not triggering when I turn the light off manually. When I double tap the appropriate light switch, which triggers the "Set all devices to 0" event, the LED Off event ralso gets triggered (as it should) and the LED turns off.

So the issue is around the LED Off event not triggering if I turn the lights off manually, only triggering if EasyTrigger sets the group to all off.

regards,

Paul

Comment

Seems like it should be working. I don't have any WD200 devices so I cannot test the exact scenario here.

You could try changing the trigger to something else that would also accomplish the same thing, such as:

Any device's value in this group has just changed...

or

Any device's value in this group had its value set and expression is true... And use $NEWVALUE == 0 as the expression.

Try these and see what happens.

Comment

Another trigger to try would be:

Any device in group has been in range [0,0] for exactly <insert desired time delay here>

Of course, you still need the "And If All devices in group have a value equal to 0" condition with any of these alternate triggers.

Comment

Yeah, I guess it depends on which trigger isn’t firing - the a device changed and became zero, or the “all devices have a value equal to zero”. I’ll do some testing to narrow that down.

Comment

Ok, I figured out what the problem was. I started breaking down all the individual pieces from the triggers, to the devices in the group.

At the end of the day, it turned out that the problem was one of the devices in the group was malfunctioning and couldn't be reached. So the "If ALL devices are zero" trigger wouldn't fire because it was Unreachable. The reason it triggered when I used the "All Lights off" event is because that event would tell all devices in the group to go to zero, which includes the unreachable device. Homeseer successfully changes it to zero, which is enough for the other trigger to fire. THEN, a few seconds later when it figures out that the device is unreachable (this is a Philips Hue device), it changes back to Unreachable again, so future triggers via individual switches don't work again. Removed that device from the group, and it works as designed.

regards,

Paul

Comment

Cool 👍 I figured there was something else unrelated to EasyTrigger going on. Glad you figured it out

Comment

One interesting thing I did figure out was that if I used:

"If ALL devices in group equal zero", the trigger wouldn't fire.
                          However
                          "If ALL devices in group are LESS than 1" would fire.

It's interesting because the bad device still shows 0=OFF in the Advanced tab for the device, but obviously something about the Unreachable state is being considered, and whatever that is is not considered Zero, but is considered less than One.

So if I want to be able to leave the device in the group but not bungle everything if a device goes bad, using less than 1 still works....

Paul

Comment

One interesting thing I did figure out was that if I used:

"If ALL devices in group equal zero", the trigger wouldn't fire.
                            However
                            "If ALL devices in group are LESS than 1" would fire.
                            Well that makes sense since "Unreachable" status on JowiHue devices is a value of -1. I mistakenly was under the impression we were talking about WD200 devices in your EasyTrigger group since that is what was mentioned in one of the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post

Well that makes sense since "Unreachable" status on JowiHue devices is a value of -1. I mistakenly was under the impression we were talking about WD200 devices in your EasyTrigger group since that is what was mentioned in one of the posts.
                              Heh, indeed. In fact I didn't know what device was the culprit at the time - I only have a handful of JowiHue devices - some of the devices in question are JowiHue, some are regular switches. It wasn't until I broke it all down and nailed down the errant device that I knew it was a Hue that was causing the grief.

I also didn't realize that JowiHue does -1 on Unreachable, that's good to know and makes sense in context. Thanks again!

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X