Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS4 - Can Dynamic Groups be set by Category field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spud
    replied
    Originally posted by Bradkw View Post

Does anyone know what Device Type String is used for and if it's safe to change it? I find very little about this. What I find seems to indicate I can add to it. But I have not figured out what it is used for besides groups in Easy Trigger.
    It was used more in HS3 because you were able to filter the devices page by type.
    I can't speak for other plugin developers, but it is safe to change it for all devices created by my plugins.

Leave a comment:

• Bradkw
    replied
    1. Type is the device type
    This was not clear to me, but I've figured out that it's "Device Type String" on the Device > Setting screen.
    It's not "the “Device Type” that you see under device > Status/Graphics > Advanced Information > Device Type, like Api: 4"

I hope this helps someone else who is also trying to figure this out!

Does anyone know what Device Type String is used for and if it's safe to change it? I find very little about this. What I find seems to indicate I can add to it. But I have not figured out what it is used for besides groups in Easy Trigger.

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    1. Type is the device type

2. There is currently no way to build dynamic group based on category. Category is a HS4 only property, so I have first to convert the EasyTrigger plugin to a HS4 plugin then I will add the category property in dynamic groups.

Leave a comment:

• klafollette
    started a topic HS4 - Can Dynamic Groups be set by Category field?

HS4 - Can Dynamic Groups be set by Category field?

Just upgraded from HS3 to HS4, have been using EasyTrigger for a while now and using dynamic groups for event triggers. Have question on dynamic groups that haven’t found in guide or posts. Running HS4Pro v4.1.10.0 on Win10, with EasyTrigger v3.0.0.71

In HS3 (and now HS4) I made my Location 1 field equivalent to what the new Category field is and Location 2 is my “Room”. I don't use Floor. I use Location 1 to categorize what I now think the new HS4 Category is meant for. Key for me is I have Devices like “Battery”, “Water Leak Detector”, “Doors”, "Windows" set in Location 1 and use EasyTrigger dynamic groups for those values for event triggers. So now with HS4 I have decision to make whether to go back to the original Out of Box “Floor” “Room” and then move all my Location 1 device classifications to the new “Category” field. Though, that wouldn't make sense to do unless EasyTrigger could create dynamic groups off of the Category field.

So Questions are:
    1: In EasyTrigger Dynamic Group setup, in the Property field, I see option of using “Type”, which I haven't used to-date. Is that “Type” the new HS4 “Category” or is that the “Device Type” that you see under device > Status/Graphics > Advanced Information > Device Type, like Api: 4? The user guide doesn't show example of Type to be really clear. I recall reading somewhere long ago that modifying that Device Type field can cause problems, so haven't messed with it.

2: If the EasyTrigger Property field “Type” is the “Device Type”, is there a way to build dynamic group off of the new HS4 "Category" field? If not, is that anywhere on the future road map?

Working...
X