Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potentially messed up sensors by misusing "set devices string"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potentially messed up sensors by misusing "set devices string"?

I have my 3D printer in my laundry room, and it's been setting off the motion detector, which turns on the light. My workaround was to have the light on event check the status of the laundry room door - it wouldn't fire if the door was closed. Then I realized that it might be better to leave the door open while the washer is running/airing out, to minimize the humidity, which can ruin 3D printing filament, and my quick workaround thought was to create an event that sets the laundry room's door sensor to appear closed.

I'm not sure if what I was attempting to do was possible, but somehow I thought anything I did wrong would be reset by open/closing a door, which is turning out not to be the case.

The list of sensor names is a bit truncated, and I didn't know which door sensor was being controlled by the event (which has the action of setting the device's string to 0), so I kept selecting different ones, saving, and manually running the event, expecting the laundry room door sensor to eventually read closed. Not only did this not happen, but now a few of my sensor devices show a gear icon, and no current status.

Is there any easy way to bring back the status on these devices? Thanks!

Originally posted by ARuser View Post
    I have my 3D printer in my laundry room, and it's been setting off the motion detector, which turns on the light. My workaround was to have the light on event check the status of the laundry room door - it wouldn't fire if the door was closed. Then I realized that it might be better to leave the door open while the washer is running/airing out, to minimize the humidity, which can ruin 3D printing filament, and my quick workaround thought was to create an event that sets the laundry room's door sensor to appear closed.

I'm not sure if what I was attempting to do was possible, but somehow I thought anything I did wrong would be reset by open/closing a door, which is turning out not to be the case.

The list of sensor names is a bit truncated, and I didn't know which door sensor was being controlled by the event (which has the action of setting the device's string to 0), so I kept selecting different ones, saving, and manually running the event, expecting the laundry room door sensor to eventually read closed. Not only did this not happen, but now a few of my sensor devices show a gear icon, and no current status.

Is there any easy way to bring back the status on these devices? Thanks!
    You don't show your event but, if you are indeed setting the 'device string' as you state, then that explains your issue. A device has a value and that has a status that the value represents, which is configured in the Value/Status pairs. If you set the 'device string' this doesn't change the device value but overrides the status. This then is set and doesn't change when the device value changes, unless you set the 'device string' back to a blank string.

If you are wanting the door sensor to temporarily show 'Closed' when it is 'Open', then you need to change the 'device value' (not the string) to the value that represents 'Closed'. You will need to look at the status/graphics page for the device feature to check what value represents 'Closed'. This will be a status not a control so you can't change it from a normal event action but you can use a script or Easy Trigger to change the value to 255, or whatever represents Closed for your particular device. When the door is closed then opened again it will override your temporary status change.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Why not create a virtual device, maybe something that you set for 3D printer running or not, and use that device in the condition for the motion sensor event?

Comment

you could also use a zwave appliance module to power the printer, then check the status if there is power to the printer.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

You don't show your event but, if you are indeed setting the 'device string' as you state, then that explains your issue. A device has a value and that has a status that the value represents, which is configured in the Value/Status pairs. If you set the 'device string' this doesn't change the device value but overrides the status. This then is set and doesn't change when the device value changes, unless you set the 'device string' back to a blank string.

If you are wanting the door sensor to temporarily show 'Closed' when it is 'Open', then you need to change the 'device value' (not the string) to the value that represents 'Closed'. You will need to look at the status/graphics page for the device feature to check what value represents 'Closed'. This will be a status not a control so you can't change it from a normal event action but you can use a script or Easy Trigger to change the value to 255, or whatever represents Closed for your particular device. When the door is closed then opened again it will override your temporary status change.

I hope this helps.

Steve
          Thanks Steve, I set the strings to blank and everything is back to normal. I tried out setting the device value of the sensor this morning, via easytrigger, and it worked perfectly.

Originally posted by joegr View Post
          Why not create a virtual device, maybe something that you set for 3D printer running or not, and use that device in the condition for the motion sensor event?
          Great idea! I use Jon00's octoprint plugin to monitor the status of the printer, so it makes sense to have the motion sensor event check to make sure the status is "off".
          That seems like it would be the most direct way to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X