Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a group the right way to handle using multiple HSM200 devices for conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a group the right way to handle using multiple HSM200 devices for conditions?

I want to use several HSM200 devices to indicate status. This started as using one to light up red outside the home office during zoom calls.

But now it occurs to me it'd be useful to have the colors light up for other reasons. I won't rehash them all here, as I made a post over here that touches on it.

I'm assuming I'll end up with some virtual devices and some events to help coordinate this. Has anyone else used the EasyTrigger groups to do something like this? Care to chime in with do's/don'ts?

You will need Events to set the colors, since it is altering a parameter in the root device. There is no reason Easy Trigger Groups, Triggers, Schedules, etc. couldn't be used to configure when the Event will run.

I have quite a few Events that set colors on individual LEDs, groups of individual LEDs, individual dimmers with all LEDs, groups of dimmers with all LEDs. We have some standard displays that are displayed on multiple HS-WD200s
    • Red = Dryer Running
    • Blue = Washer Running
    • Magenta = both washer and dryer are running
    • Blinking Red = garage door is open
    • Flashing blue = "House to sleep" initiated (MBR only)
    • Yellow = house to sleep interrupted due to entertainment being on (protects against one of us putting the house to sleep while the other is still watching TV or listening to music)(MBR only)
    • single flashing red LEDs indicate a specific door is open or unlocked or that monitored windows are open during house to sleep (MBR only)
    • All green = house to sleep successful (MBR only) This confirms all doors successfully closed and locked, protected windows closed and all designated power and lighting shut down.
    • Flashing magenta = one of the freezers is over 17 degrees
    • Flashing yellow = whole house generator fault
    • Flashing green = boiler related fault (insufficient temperature after demand, low DHW temperature, low return temperature when pump running,

I'm sure there are others.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
      • Flashing green = boiler related fault (insufficient temperature after demand, low DHW temperature, low return temperature when pump running,
      Nice.

What are you doing to blink them?

And are you tracking an underlying status to use as a return value if one of you other events clears? As in, the garage door gets closed, but the washer and/or dryer is still running?

I don't anticipate using much in the way of overlapping states. I don't want to make it too complicated to look at the light and trying to correlate what a color means. Red means keep the noise down, while yellow means "go check a status page to learn more". My idea being it'll be off most of the time and only present something other than red when there's attention needed.

Comment

You will need Events to set the colors, since it is altering a parameter in the root device.
        What do you mean by this? When I look at my HSM200 devices I see one for "Color Control" with a range of 0-7. I've been using that to change to turn it off or to a specific color. This is a child "Switch Color" device (according to the z-wave plug-in Node info tab).

I haven't been using the 'root' device for it at all. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post

What do you mean by this? When I look at my HSM200 devices I see one for "Color Control" with a range of 0-7. I've been using that to change to turn it off or to a specific color. This is a child "Switch Color" device (according to the z-wave plug-in Node info tab).

I haven't been using the 'root' device for it at all. Am I missing something?
          Mine don’t have that device, I can only change colors through the Z-Wave tab or through a Z-Wave action in an Event. Maybe they are included with a new feature under HS4. I tried a rescan and got no new feature. When I have time I’ll try a re inclusion and see if I get a new feature.

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
            Nice.

What are you doing to blink them?

And are you tracking an underlying status to use as a return value if one of you other events clears? As in, the garage door gets closed, but the washer and/or dryer is still running?

I don't anticipate using much in the way of overlapping states. I don't want to make it too complicated to look at the light and trying to correlate what a color means. Red means keep the noise down, while yellow means "go check a status page to learn more". My idea being it'll be off most of the time and only present something other than red when there's attention needed.
            in the settings portion of the Z-Wave tab you can set the blink rate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	54BCF90A-6A60-4D99-94DF-35C0D84CF687.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	1464526

In an Event you can set any or all individual LEDs color and whether they blink or not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	89A3316B-A2D9-4228-8C23-49C7AE963B9C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	28.6 KB ID:	1464525

If more than one display is active for a group of LEDs they rotate every 3 seconds.

Comment

Mine don’t have that device, I can only change colors through the Z-Wave tab or through a Z-Wave action in an Event. Maybe they are included with a new feature under HS4. I tried a rescan and got no new feature. When I have time I’ll try a re inclusion and see if I get a new feature.
              I'm on HS3, not HS4.

I had no idea they wouldn't pair without those features. So, yeah, your post makes more sense now. here's how mine show in in the HS3 z-wave plug-in Node page. First one is an older version 1 hardware (no ground lug attachment tab on the case). Second one is a v2 with the tab. I didn't do anything special, just plugged it in and paired it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hsm200 v1.5.png
Views:	221
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1464549

Name:	hsm200 v1 device page.png
Views:	182
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1464551

And the v2 hardware (with tab on the case):

Name:	hsm200 v2.3.png
Views:	183
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1464550
              But the devices here aren't right and I'm not sure why?

Name:	hsm200 v2 device page.png
Views:	174
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1464552

Comment

I just went and did an exclude/include again on that one and the mystery devices went away. Now it's back to just the five you'd expect, not double luminance and temp that's out of whack. No idea how it got that way, go figure.

Comment

My bad. I didn’t read your first post correctly. You are referring to HSM200s and I use my HS-WD200 dimmers for indicators. They have 7 LEDs eqch of which can be any of 7 colors and can blink. Two different animals. The HSM color is set by a device and it will not blink.

I apologize for not catching the model number before I replied.

Comment

Working...
                  X