Monitoring Z-Wave battery powered devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring Z-Wave battery powered devices

I would like to monitor all my Z-Wave battery-powered devices by detecting whether or not the battery level is reported every day. Either I'm doing something wrong, or the condition does not work the way I think it does. I know that I can check on the value of the battery level itself to see if it's below 50%, for example, and I do that. But this is an additional way to detect a failing battery. Except that it doesn't work. The only time it fires, it reports on a device that is not part of the battery group. What am I doing wrong?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-28 155833.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1499288

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-28 161118.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1499289

Current Date/Time: 9/28/21 4:13:41 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 2 Days 9 Hours 4 Minutes 45 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.17
    Number of Devices: 511
    Number of Events: 114
    Available Threads: 400
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 82
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender Malwarebytes
    In Virtual Machine: No MFG: asustek computer inc.
    Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.3.2.3: APCUPSD
    2.0.45.0: BLLAN
    2.0.16.0: BLLogMonitor
    3.1.3.33206: Blue-Iris
    3.0.0.49: Chromecast
    3.2.0.1: Device History
    3.0.0.74: EasyTrigger
    1.0.16302.20: EventGhost
    3.0.7.25: Insteon
    2.1.1.11: JowiHue
    1.0.0.7: Restart
    3.1.0.57: Sonos
    19.10.7.1: TPLinkSmartHome
    3.0.7.0: Z-Wave

[mention]baudi [/mention]

I would suggest you skip all of this and just get the SDJ-Health plugin. It was specifically designed to monitor z-wave batteries as well as some other features. The plugin is free and the plugin developer provides great support.

EasyTrigger is a great plugin and a must have but SDJ-Health can handle what you are trying to do here much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

So you're saying what I'm doing wrong is I'm using easytrigger. I'm hoping spud can offer some guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by baudi View Post
        I would like to monitor all my Z-Wave battery-powered devices by detecting whether or not the battery level is reported every day. Either I'm doing something wrong, or the condition does not work the way I think it does. I know that I can check on the value of the battery level itself to see if it's below 50%, for example, and I do that. But this is an additional way to detect a failing battery. Except that it doesn't work. The only time it fires, it reports on a device that is not part of the battery group. What am I doing wrong?

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-28 155833.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1499288

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-28 161118.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1499289

Current Date/Time: 9/28/21 4:13:41 PM
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
        System Uptime: 2 Days 9 Hours 4 Minutes 45 Seconds
        IP Address: 192.168.1.17
        Number of Devices: 511
        Number of Events: 114
        Available Threads: 400
        HSTouch Enabled: True
        Event Threads: 82
        Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
        Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
        Device Exec Queue: 0
        HSTouch Event Queue: 0
        Email Send Queue: 0
        Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender Malwarebytes
        In Virtual Machine: No MFG: asustek computer inc.
        Enabled Plug-Ins
        3.3.2.3: APCUPSD
        2.0.45.0: BLLAN
        2.0.16.0: BLLogMonitor
        3.1.3.33206: Blue-Iris
        3.0.0.49: Chromecast
        3.2.0.1: Device History
        3.0.0.74: EasyTrigger
        1.0.16302.20: EventGhost
        3.0.7.25: Insteon
        2.1.1.11: JowiHue
        1.0.0.7: Restart
        3.1.0.57: Sonos
        19.10.7.1: TPLinkSmartHome
        3.0.7.0: Z-Wave
        I'm just guessing on what your script contains, but t sounds like you may be using an ET replacement variable in your report with the intention of it indicating which device meets the condition of not having updated for a day. My understanding is the ET replacement variable is the triggering device, but your event has a time trigger. So the replacement variable is showing some random device tracked by ET from elsewhere. Maybe try this:

IF any device in group has not changed for exactly 1 day
        THEN send notification
        -Wade

Comment

I considered using a trigger as you suggest, but it wasn't clear to me that the trigger would work reliably in the case of Homeseer restarts. I also thought it would be good if it would keep nagging me to do something about a failed sensor. In any case, if your analysis is correct, it's not clear to me why easytrigger allows the use of that formulation as a condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

I'm just guessing on what your script contains, but t sounds like you may be using an ET replacement variable in your report with the intention of it indicating which device meets the condition of not having updated for a day. My understanding is the ET replacement variable is the triggering device, but your event has a time trigger. So the replacement variable is showing some random device tracked by ET from elsewhere. Maybe try this:

IF any device in group has not changed for exactly 1 day
            THEN send notification
            This is correct. EasyTrigger only updates global variables for triggers not for conditions

Also keep in mind that "for exactly"/"for at least" triggers and conditions are based on the plugin seeing actual changes of device (and not based on the last change time), so if you start the plugin or HS now it will take at least one day (without a restart) before the event above can trigger.

Comment

spud Okay, guess I'll have to work around that. By the way what is the purpose of the "ET global variables suffix (optional): " field? I couldn't find anything in the documentation or in a forum search about that.

Comment

Originally posted by baudi View Post
                spud Okay, guess I'll have to work around that. By the way what is the purpose of the "ET global variables suffix (optional): " field? I couldn't find anything in the documentation or in a forum search about that.
                The optional suffix is used to have a specific set of global variables per event, for example if you fill the suffix field with _test, the global variables used by this event will be ETDeviceRef_test, ETDeviceName_test, etc..., this is to avoid race condition problems if 2 events updates the global variables at almost the same time.

For more information about that read this thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...ow-to-get-list

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post

I would suggest you skip all of this and just get the SDJ-Health plugin. It was specifically designed to monitor z-wave batteries as well as some other features. The plugin is free and the plugin developer provides great support.

EasyTrigger is a great plugin and a must have but SDJ-Health can handle what you are trying to do here much easier.

Thank you for this advice. I just installed it, and it took me about two minutes to figure it out and set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post

SteveMSJ

I did as well, I had no clue what it was originally. It installed flawlessly in HS3. Just waiting the interval for it to discover the locks and start logging them.
                      This free plugin is documented like an IBM reference manual and even has detailed change logs that actually tells you what was changed or added!

A breath of fresh air from someone that knows what they are doing. If it works as I hope, I definitely will be supporting SteveMSJ with a donation.
                      I wish HST would go back to that level of documentation which they 'used' to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X