Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nested Groups, or Group of Groups

Hi,

I've created 3 groups for BasementFloor, FirstFloor, and SecondFloor. I would now like to create an AllFloors group that references these other 3 groups so that if I update one of these 3 source groups, the AllFloors group is essentially updated as well. Is that possible?

If that is not possible, are there any shortcuts for creating the AllFloors group from the devices in the other 3 groups? Can I manually edit an INI file and copy/paste some stuff? These groups are large and the device list I need to scroll through is even larger, so having to manually create AllFloors would suck.

Thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

I'm assuming the groups you have created are static and not dynamic groups?

Comment

That is correct
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I Started using a naming convention some time ago to assist with the management of the devices and groups.

<FOOR>-<ROOM>-<DEVICE>-<FEATURE>

This allows me to create groups for devices and or features on different rooms or floors using Dynamic Groups. Easier to maintain when devices are added or moved around.

Took me some time to rename, but was worth it.

Comment

There are too many devices already named for me to want to do that, and I don't necessarily want ALL devices on a floor in that group. Hoping there is a better way...

Comment

From the user interface, it is just a matter of working through the list of devices :-(

I've not needed to take a look at any configuration files yet.

Make an edit to a group and see which files have recently been updated. Open it and see if you can work out the configuration.
            May need to stop and restart the plugin and or homeseer as you make the edit..

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
              Hi,

I've created 3 groups for BasementFloor, FirstFloor, and SecondFloor. I would now like to create an AllFloors group that references these other 3 groups so that if I update one of these 3 source groups, the AllFloors group is essentially updated as well. Is that possible?

If that is not possible, are there any shortcuts for creating the AllFloors group from the devices in the other 3 groups? Can I manually edit an INI file and copy/paste some stuff? These groups are large and the device list I need to scroll through is even larger, so having to manually create AllFloors would suck.

Thanks!
              This has been asked before, so I think I'm going to add a "Super Group" type in which you can add other groups (static or dynamic)
              In the meantime, disable the EasyTrigger plugin and edit Config/EayTrigger.ini. The definition of static groups is in the [DEVICE_GROUPS] section
              A definition of a static group is a simple comma separated list of device refs, so you can easily copy paste that and change the name to create a new static group
              Code:
              [DEVICE_GROUPS]
              group1=2189,2191
              group2=2189,2191,1234

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

This has been asked before, so I think I'm going to add a "Super Group" type in which you can add other groups (static or dynamic)
                In the meantime, disable the EasyTrigger plugin and edit Config/EayTrigger.ini. The definition of static groups is in the [DEVICE_GROUPS] section
                A definition of a static group is a simple comma separated list of device refs, so you can easily copy paste that and change the name to create a new static group
                Code:
                [DEVICE_GROUPS]
                group1=2189,2191
                group2=2189,2191,1234
                Super Group sounds great! And thank you for confirming I can edit the ini. That will get me by until the Super Groups are ready. Will that be added to the HS3 plugin or upcoming HS4 plugin?

Comment

spud Super Groups (Multi-Group) sounds great. Any chance you could add Categories into the rules for Dynamic? And the ability load the status/value of all devices in a group, into a virtual device? This is helpful for seeing status on a screen for things like, what lights are on, what doors are unlocked, windows open, etc

Comment

In version 3.0.0.77 released as a Beta, I have added the "Super" group type. A super group can contain any other group type including other super groups, but if a super group contains another super group be careful to not create circular references which would lead to a group containing itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	100
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1611505

Comment

Working...
                    X