This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spud View Post

it is a separate stack, if you push a group then you can only pop the entire group
    Was hoping for a different response, but it's a terrific addition to the feature set regardless. Thanks.
    -Wade

Comment

• It would be nice to be able to save all the values of the devices in a group, and to be able to assign the group to those saved values. Kind of like a scene.

Comment

• Originally posted by baudi View Post
        It would be nice to be able to save all the values of the devices in a group, and to be able to assign the group to those saved values. Kind of like a scene.
        Not sure I understand. This is exactly what the Push/Pop actions do when used with groups.

Comment

• Suppose I want to have 4 scenes: normal, night, vacation, and guests. How would I use push/pop to implement switching among them?

Comment

• Originally posted by baudi View Post
            Suppose I want to have 4 scenes: normal, night, vacation, and guests. How would I use push/pop to implement switching among them?
            Got it, yeah you can't do that with push/pop.

Comment

Please install version 3.0.0.58 in which I have added some more debug logs (and in which there is the item #4 you asked for), set the log level to debug in the config page, then post what you get in the logs when you change the location of a device.

thanks
              The problem I described in post #468 seems to be fixed with 3.0.0.58 so I assume you no longer need me to post the logs. Whatever you did to fix it, thanks!

Comment

• Spud,

Just a quick thank you for all the hard work you put into this plugin. You go waaaaay beyond what I think most folks reasonably expect from a dev. This plugin was great when I first purchased it, but it has been improved by a whole order of magnitude since then with continuous releases that are free of charge. Excellent work and I for one very much appreciate your efforts!

--Barry

PS The dynamic groups are da bomb! Have found many uses, especially for motion sensors. It has inspired me to install more motion sensors to cover dead spots, and the ability to automatically have them included into a proper dynamic group is a huge time saver. Thank you!

Comment

• For the new Group Push, what happens if I push a device (Value1), the device changes (Value2) and I push a group including the device, then the device changes again to Value 3. I then do a device pop to pop the device (what value would I get back), then I do a group pop for the device (what's my final value?)?

Normally, I'd expect two pushes followed by two pops to restore the device to its original state - Value 1. But given your description of how the group pop works in the beta, I don't think this is what I get and am concerned there could be race conditions between multiple events if you device-push/pops and group-push/pops in different events that act on the same device but you don't pop back the devices / groups in the correct sequence. If I understand correctly and this is an issue, then for the final release, consider treating the group "Push" as if it were nothing different than a bunch of individual pushes, and the group pop as nothing but a bunch of individual pops so you don't get this kind of race condition and sequencing issue.

Thanks,

Comment

• Originally posted by logman View Post
                    Spud,

Just a quick thank you for all the hard work you put into this plugin. You go waaaaay beyond what I think most folks reasonably expect from a dev. This plugin was great when I first purchased it, but it has been improved by a whole order of magnitude since then with continuous releases that are free of charge. Excellent work and I for one very much appreciate your efforts!

--Barry

PS The dynamic groups are da bomb! Have found many uses, especially for motion sensors. It has inspired me to install more motion sensors to cover dead spots, and the ability to automatically have them included into a proper dynamic group is a huge time saver. Thank you!
                    Thanks for the kind words!

Comment

• Originally posted by jvm View Post
                      For the new Group Push, what happens if I push a device (Value1), the device changes (Value2) and I push a group including the device, then the device changes again to Value 3. I then do a device pop to pop the device (what value would I get back), then I do a group pop for the device (what's my final value?)?
                      after the device pop you would get Value1 and after the group pop you would get Value2

Originally posted by jvm View Post
                      Normally, I'd expect two pushes followed by two pops to restore the device to its original state - Value 1. But given your description of how the group pop works in the beta, I don't think this is what I get and am concerned there could be race conditions between multiple events if you device-push/pops and group-push/pops in different events that act on the same device but you don't pop back the devices / groups in the correct sequence. If I understand correctly and this is an issue, then for the final release, consider treating the group "Push" as if it were nothing different than a bunch of individual pushes, and the group pop as nothing but a bunch of individual pops so you don't get this kind of race condition and sequencing issue.
                      Thanks,
                      If this is the consensus I can change group push and pop so that they act directly on device stacks, I didn't really think a lot about it before coding, in my mind they were separate things.

Comment

after the device pop you would get Value1 and after the group pop you would get Value2

If this is the consensus I can change group push and pop so that they act directly on device stacks, I didn't really think a lot about it before coding, in my mind they were separate things.
                        Thank you. Greatly appreciated. As you can probably guess, I'm a strong vote in favor of treating the group push / pop as if it were just a sequence of individual push / pops. I don't think you lose any functionality doing it this way, and you avoid the potential of the unpredictable result that I outlined.

Since you are working on this push/pop code, I thought it would also make sense to identify a few other thoughts which may impact what you are doing.

1. If you use "Pop from stack and Set Devices(s)" on an empty stack, I'm assuming its basically a "do nothing" operation or the device gets set to its current value, rather than something unpredictable. If that isn't already the case, can you make it work like this so its predictable.

2. For the "clear stack" operation, does this operate as a series of "pops" restoring the original value, or are all the values just thrown away? There may be some cases where one wants to throw away everything, while others where you want to go back to the first value pushed onto the stack. I have some ideas where I want to use push / pop of groups for volume control of my chromecast devices where sometimes I may want to use "clear" to throw away any pushed volumes, and other times I want to "clear" all the way back to the original volume. Consider whether this could be an easily added check-box option?

Thanks again for all this great work you've done on these updates.

Comment

Thank you. Greatly appreciated. As you can probably guess, I'm a strong vote in favor of treating the group push / pop as if it were just a sequence of individual push / pops. I don't think you lose any functionality doing it this way, and you avoid the potential of the unpredictable result that I outlined.
                          Done in version 3.0.0.59

1. If you use "Pop from stack and Set Devices(s)" on an empty stack, I'm assuming its basically a "do nothing" operation or the device gets set to its current value, rather than something unpredictable. If that isn't already the case, can you make it work like this so its predictable.
                          it will do nothing, just log an error.

2. For the "clear stack" operation, does this operate as a series of "pops" restoring the original value, or are all the values just thrown away? There may be some cases where one wants to throw away everything, while others where you want to go back to the first value pushed onto the stack. I have some ideas where I want to use push / pop of groups for volume control of my chromecast devices where sometimes I may want to use "clear" to throw away any pushed volumes, and other times I want to "clear" all the way back to the original volume. Consider whether this could be an easily added check-box option?

Thanks again for all this great work you've done on these updates.
                          all the values are thrown away

Comment

Done in version 3.0.0.59

it will do nothing, just log an error.

all the values are thrown away
                            These changes are very much appreciated. Thank you for the quick response.

Comment

These changes are very much appreciated. Thank you for the quick response.
                              Yes, thank you spud.

Another question: do push/pop stacks survive an HS3 restart?
                              -Wade

Comment

• Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

Yes, thank you spud.

Another question: do push/pop stacks survive an HS3 restart?
                                No

Comment

Working...
                                X