This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
    Hi! I have a couple of battery operated devices that sometimes simply run out of battery power while still at 75+ battery percentage. These devices should report their battery status every hour, so I was thinking of monitoring their "last update" timestamp to see if they are still alive.

I know there is a "Any device in group <group> has NOT changed for exactly...", but that doesn't work. It seems that this actually looking for a change in the value. So, my suggestion is to add a "Any device in group <group> has NOT been set for exactly...", that looks at the last change timestamp.

Thanks for considering!
    Just an FYI, you might want to look at the free SDJ-Health plugin, it does exactly what you are asking.

Comment

Hi! I have a couple of battery operated devices that sometimes simply run out of battery power while still at 75+ battery percentage. These devices should report their battery status every hour, so I was thinking of monitoring their "last update" timestamp to see if they are still alive.

I know there is a "Any device in group <group> has NOT changed for exactly...", but that doesn't work. It seems that this actually looking for a change in the value. So, my suggestion is to add a "Any device in group <group> has NOT been set for exactly...", that looks at the last change timestamp.

Thanks for considering!
      +1

Comment

Thanks for considering!
        Hi! Is this thread still being used for new feature requests?
        stefxx

Comment

Yes

Comment

Thanks for considering!
            +1

I also need this exact functionality to deal with x10 motion sensors.

Comment

spud,
              Can you add the ability to create dynamic device groups based upon hs4 category?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for considering!
                +1

Comment

The $$GLOBALVAR:ETDeviceXxxx variables are great. But I store general information (like name etc) on the root device, not the child device. Would it be possible to have variables for the root device as well? Like $$GLOBALVAR:ETRootName etc?

Thanks!
                  stefxx

Comment

Thanks for considering!
                    This is possible to do now by using the condition "has not changed for at least" and by utilizing the ETGlobalVariables. In the example below I'm looking for any battery device that last reported a battery level less than 20% AND has not updated the battery condition for at least 5 days. Any found will be sent as a text to my phone.

IMPORTANT: I have all battery devices set to update their timestamp with each report received regardless of whether the device value changes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_monitor_event.png
Views:	227
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	1444031

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post

This is possible to do now by using the condition "has not changed for at least" and by utilizing the ETGlobalVariables.
                      Hi Barry, thanks! However, that is not what I requested. I don't even think the event is working as you think it is. You will get a message when the battery is at exactly the same level for 5 days, and below 20%. Depending on the device, the device might be unresponsive for 5 days already...

IMPORTANT: I have all battery devices set to update their timestamp with each report received regardless of whether the device value changes.
                      So have I. But this seems irrelevant in your event. If the device reports every hours the same value, the condition "Any device in group Batteries has NOT changed for at least 5.00:00:00" would still be true after 5 days.

I want to be informed if the battery value has not been SET for a specified amount of time.
                      stefxx

Comment

Hi Barry, thanks! However, that is not what I requested. I don't even think the event is working as you think it is. You will get a message when the battery is at exactly the same level for 5 days, and below 20%. Depending on the device, the device might be unresponsive for 5 days already...

So have I. But this seems irrelevant in your event. If the device reports every hours the same value, the condition "Any device in group Batteries has NOT changed for at least 5.00:00:00" would still be true after 5 days.

I want to be informed if the battery value has not been SET for a specified amount of time.
                        Hi stefxx,

I could be wrong, but I believe as long as the timestamp has been changed, then that is considered a device change even if the value stays the same. Therefore I believe the event is only returning devices that have been unresponsive for 5 days. I've been using the event for a couple of years now, and it seems to work as intended. The reason I have mine stretched out to 5 days is because I have a ton of ZigBee devices that are very sleepy (which helps conserve battery life) so I stretch the reporting period out to avoid catching those in the net.

I also have a similar event that I use to monitor door lock batteries. Those tend to die when they get around 50% and will leave you locked out of the house. So I created a seperate battery group containing only door lock batteries which monitors for unresponsiveness and less than 60% battery level.

By the way the free plugin SDJ-Health will also do what you are looking for plus much more (such as let you know the date when the battery was last replaced, monitor for high discharge rates, etc.). Very good plugin!

--Barry

Comment

I could be wrong, but I believe as long as the timestamp has been changed, then that is considered a device change even if the value stays the same.
                          Not in my experience. That is why several event triggers have been created for both "changed" and "set".

Thanks!
                          stefxx

Comment

By the way the free plugin SDJ-Health will also do what you are looking for plus much more (such as let you know the date when the battery was last replaced, monitor for high discharge rates, etc.). Very good plugin!
                            Yep.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I believe as long as the timestamp has been changed, then that is considered a device change even if the value stays the same. Therefore I believe the event is only returning devices that have been unresponsive for 5 days. I've been using the event for a couple of years now, and it seems to work as intended. The reason I have mine stretched out to 5 days is because I have a ton of ZigBee devices that are very sleepy (which helps conserve battery life) so I stretch the reporting period out to avoid catching those in the net.

I also have a similar event that I use to monitor door lock batteries. Those tend to die when they get around 50% and will leave you locked out of the house. So I created a separate battery group containing only door lock batteries which monitors for unresponsiveness and less than 60% battery level.

--Barry
                              spud
                              can you weigh in on this? I'd also like an event to trigger based on "Any device in group <group> has NOT changed for exactly..." but for different reasons than stefxx.
                              I would expect that "has NOT changed for at least..." would trigger frequently since any time 'after' the time set would also be true? Thus it could trigger frequently... vs "has NOT changed for exactly..." would only trigger once.

thx for clarifying for us

Comment

I saw one thread mentioning renaming groups. That is, changing how groups are stored such that they use a UID, so the name does not matter.

Additionally, sub-groups. I presume the INI file would have to designate them a bit differently than the ID of a device: {group:xxxx} or some such

Comment

Working...
                                X