Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut from here on in.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
      guys,
      if I implement it like this:
      the user choose x and y, let's say x=2 and y=10 in this example

let's say t0 = 00:00
      the plugin draws a random number r1 between 2 and 10, r1=3 for example
      the event is triggered at t1=t0 + r1 = 00:03
      the plugin draws another random number r2 between 2 and 10, r2=5 for example
      the event is triggered at t2=t1 + r2 = 00:08
      etc...

this way it's guaranteed that the event will be triggered at least once every 10 minutes, and no more than once in any 2 minutes period

no need for w and z parameters, am I missing something?

Any news on this front?

Comment

I have a little bit to add to the random request for you to think about. How about a condition so the event won't fire some times? Like a % maybe.

AND IF 10% chance it won't fire

Something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          I have a little bit to add to the random request for you to think about. How about a condition so the event won't fire some times? Like a % maybe.

AND IF 10% chance it won't fire

Something like that.
          yes I can add a condition that is randomly true X% of time, where X is configurable

Comment

yes I can add a condition that is randomly true X% of time, where X is configurable

You're like out fairy God........ father!

Comment

I would buy this plugin if it made randomizing several lights really easy based only on a virtual device or similar set to home or away and another set dusk to dawn!

Comment

in version 3.0.0.6 available here I have added random triggers and conditions as discussed in this thread.

please test and let me know...

Click image for larger version

Name:	random_triggers_conditions.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1178640

Comment

Hi Spud,

Would it randomize things in an easier fashion than in this thread?
                  http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...37#post1179137

Comment

in version 3.0.0.6 available here I have added random triggers and conditions as discussed in this thread.

please test and let me know...

[ATTACH]46227[/ATTACH]

You rock

I'm going to add this to about 50 events right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
                      Hi Spud,

Would it randomize things in an easier fashion than in this thread?
                      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...37#post1179137
                      Spud may have a different answer, but I think this plug-in would work much better than any of the methods in that thread. Your lights will stay on for a fixed period of time, but the turn on times would be totally random.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy - looks like I'll be giving it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
                          Thanks Randy - looks like I'll be giving it a try!
                          After I thought about it a little you could randomize the time it turns on and how long it stays on. Below are a pair of events that will
                          • Turn a light on at night at some random time from 0-5 hours, but not more often than once every two hours. The light has to have been off for at least an hour before it can come on again.
                          • Then it will turn off somewhere between 30-90 minutes after it is turned on.
                          • It will continue this process until sunrise.

So you can truly randomize both the on time as well as the duration of the light.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post

This is outside the scope of this plug-in as they are actions.

I use a script to do this now but there have been a lot of requests. An action to increment or decrement a dimmer by X. This could also even apply to thermostat setpoints.

The action would be Then increase (decrease) Device Living Room lights by 10%

-or-

Then increase (decrease) Device Living Room Thermostat Heating setpoint by 1 degree

Another event action would be a toggle for binary devices - if the device is on, turn it off if it is off turn it on. Among other uses this could work with the random timer that S-F suggested to create random lighting events.
                            I threw this out there a few weeks ago. Am I correct in stating that this is outside the scope of this plug-in?

Comment

This is outside the scope of this plug-in as they are actions.

I use a script to do this now but there have been a lot of requests. An action to increment or decrement a dimmer by X. This could also even apply to thermostat setpoints.

The action would be Then increase (decrease) Device Living Room lights by 10%

-or-

Then increase (decrease) Device Living Room Thermostat Heating setpoint by 1 degree
                              I think this one may already be possible using the "Set Device to Variable" action. I have recently added the possibility to add or substract a constant to the variable. So you can do something like this
                              Code:
                              Set deviceX to $$DVR:<ref_X>: + 10
                              where ref_X is the reference id of the deviceX

see this thread for more information:
                              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174716

Comment

I think this one may already be possible using the "Set Device to Variable" action. I have recently added the possibility to add or substract a constant to the variable. So you can do something like this
                                Code:
                                Set deviceX to $$DVR:<ref_X>: + 10
                                where ref_X is the reference id of the deviceX

see this thread for more information:
                                http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174716
                                Yes, that works fine, I missed your having added the offset.

Comment

Working...
                                X