Events not tiggering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Events not tiggering

I happened across this plugin while trying to come up with a way to compare two values. I think this plugin will solve that, and other issues for me.

But.....

Here is what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to supplement my programmable thermostat with more intelligence. For this first step, I have one thermostat that is downstairs, but also controls upstairs. I'd like to circulate the fan when the upstairs is over, say 75, and it's cooler downstairs than upstairs.

I can't get that comparison to work. I've added a simple event that compares the upstairs and downstairs temperatures and sends me an email when it's warmer upstairs (which is most of the time). This simple event is not triggering.

I'm on the trial version, if that matters.

Is there anything I need to configure to make the plugin start working (become active)?

David

the trial version doesn't have any limitation

could you post a screenshot of your event?

thanks

Comment

also, the comparison trigger only fire when the comparison becomes true, if the comparison is always true it will never fire. It needs at some point to be false then when it becomes true it will fire.

Comment

Won't it trigger the first time it exists?

But, I understand this.....I was a bit afraid that I'd be flooded with emails every time it is checked.

I need to come up with another trigger......like turn it on when the upstairs temp is >75 AND it's warmer upstairs (will that check work?). I do have both conditions for turning the phone off.

David

Comment

Won't it trigger the first time it exists?
          no it won't trigger when you start the plugin if the comparison is already true.

I need to come up with another trigger......like turn it on when the upstairs temp is >75 AND it's warmer upstairs (will that check work?). I do have both conditions for turning the phone off.
          you need to decide which part is the trigger and which part is the condition, if both can be the trigger you need an OR IF like this:

IF upstairs temp becomes > 75
          AND IF it's warmer upstairs

OR IF it becomes warmer upstairs
          AND IF upstairs temp is >75

Comment

I have found that it works better to avoid the OR and just have two events. So I have one event that triggers when upstairs>downstairs, and another event when upstairs>75.

My main question is, with the upstairs>downstairs work in a condition, ie,

if upstairs>75
            AND upstairs>downstairs

?

David

Comment

This event will work. I used a standard HS Trigger and an Easy Trigger Condition. The Trigger will be true about once a second as long as the upstairs temperature is greater than 75 degrees. Since the Easy Trigger Condition does not need to change to be true, it will always allow the event to run if the upstairs is warmer than the downstairs. The fan mode is also a Condition to keep the event from constantly triggering. I chose "a value not equal to" in case the fan has more than two modes. I also used "Cannot Re-Run for:" 1 minute to minimize retriggering.

In my case the Living Room is upstairs and the Media Room is downstairs.

You will need to figure out the conditions that would turn the fan off.
              Attached Files
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks, all.....I have this working.

Now....I want to make the 75 adjustable. My thought is to add a virtual device to hold the temp I want to turn on/off at (and note, I turn on at 75+2, off at 75, to avoid any toggling). However, the only virtual circuits I seem to be able to create are binaries. Is there a way to create a virtual circuit to hold the temperature? If there is a tutorial on this, point me to it. I haven't found anything that is very useful.

David

Comment

I should also note.....when the temp upstairs exceeds 75 and the upstairs is already warmer than downstairs, I get two events, even though both check to see if the fan is already running. I think it's just a timing issue, and I'm ignoring it for now. I might have to try the ORing of the two events to prevent this.

David

Comment

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
                    Thanks, all.....I have this working.

Now....I want to make the 75 adjustable. My thought is to add a virtual device to hold the temp I want to turn on/off at (and note, I turn on at 75+2, off at 75, to avoid any toggling). However, the only virtual circuits I seem to be able to create are binaries. Is there a way to create a virtual circuit to hold the temperature? If there is a tutorial on this, point me to it. I haven't found anything that is very useful.

David
                    Read the thread I am building in the Event Clinic forum. I just posted how to build a virtual temperature range device. Just alter the values to suet the temperature range you need.

Comment

Wow, timely!!!!

I read through it, and understood it about 80% of the way, then there was a jump that I didn't follow.....but it's late. I'll read through it again tomorrow.

Thanks, again.
                      David

Comment

Wow, timely!!!!

I read through it, and understood it about 80% of the way, then there was a jump that I didn't follow.....but it's late. I'll read through it again tomorrow.

Thanks, again.
                        David
                        Please let me know what is not clear and I will work on it. I am building the whole thread following a framework I committed to memory. I will likely go back through it after I am done to find and fix mistakes.

Comment

I finally had a chance to read through your thread again. I got lost the first time at this point:

"You can see in the screenshot above there is a single value of 0 for Off and then a range of values between 80-150. To create the device you start with a simple Virtual device as we started this thread with. Then delete the 0 (Off) and 100 (On) values so there are no values assigned. You must put the value range in first. Then Click on the button "Add New Range Value" then edit the Start and End Values to be 80 and 100 respectively. "

There is a lot of implied knowledge in that paragraph. It would be better to show the example again, and how to delete the values. And what if I want this device to double as on/off and temp? I'll try working through this with my actual virtual device, as it will likely become clearer.

I'll start posting in your comment thread. I have a few other questions that you might be able to work in answers for.

David

Comment

I finally had a chance to read through your thread again. I got lost the first time at this point:

"You can see in the screenshot above there is a single value of 0 for Off and then a range of values between 80-150. To create the device you start with a simple Virtual device as we started this thread with. Then delete the 0 (Off) and 100 (On) values so there are no values assigned. You must put the value range in first. Then Click on the button "Add New Range Value" then edit the Start and End Values to be 80 and 100 respectively. "

There is a lot of implied knowledge in that paragraph. It would be better to show the example again, and how to delete the values. And what if I want this device to double as on/off and temp? I'll try working through this with my actual virtual device, as it will likely become clearer.

I'll start posting in your comment thread. I have a few other questions that you might be able to work in answers for.

David
                            I cleared it up in the thread. The "Delete" button is shown to the far right of each single value or value range. The device I illustrated in that thread is basically Off-On, except the On is the temperature value and the Off is a single Value/Status pair.

Comment

Working...
                            X