Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KMS says no stopped K or M even though it's not true

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KMS says no stopped K or M even though it's not true

    I've had KMS for a few weeks only. I have version 3.0.0.5. My set up is one Win10/Pro machine with HS3 & KMS hosted on it but disabled for detection. Then another Win10/Pro machine with the remote instance on.

    I'm having two problems:

    1) The remote instance process just dies every couple of days. I posted this on another thread as well. It doesn't matter if it has "console" on or not. (I thought maybe a script was closing the window.)

    2) Even though I'm typing away on the machine with the remote sensor on it (i.e., the remote instance), the event that the keyboard or mouse has stopped triggers. This happens about once a day.

    Since keyboard or mouse stopping turns off my monitor, I've had to remote into my machine to turn the monitor back on. I telling you this to indicate the importance of getting this fixed -- but also a very curious behavior.

    If I remote into my machine with the remote instance, nothing surprising happens. However, if I remote into my machine with HS and the KMS host running, the event triggers as on -- even though I disabled KM detection on the HS/host machine.

    KMS is a great idea and when it works it's great. However....

    Tahl

  • #2
    Do you run the run.bat script as Administrator? I think this is mandatory for the mouse/keyboard hook to work properly.

    To troubleshoot, please:
    - set the log level to Debug from the Config page, then stop the remote plugin
    - start a Command Prompt as Administrator (From start menu, right click on Command Prompt program, more > Run as Administrator)
    - cd to where your KMS files are installed
    - then start run.bat

    This way even if the program stopped you will be able to see the last lines in the console.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by spud View Post
      Do you run the run.bat script as Administrator? I think this is mandatory for the mouse/keyboard hook to work properly.

      To troubleshoot, please:
      - set the log level to Debug from the Config page, then stop the remote plugin
      - start a Command Prompt as Administrator (From start menu, right click on Command Prompt program, more > Run as Administrator)
      - cd to where your KMS files are installed
      - then start run.bat

      This way even if the program stopped you will be able to see the last lines in the console.
      I have not been running as admin. I assumed that it wouldn't work at all if it's not at the right level vs. only will run sometimes. I'll now run as admin.

      Sorry I must've been super unclear based on the response above. Let me restate the two problems.

      1) In terms of this problem, the remote instance KSM process periodically completely dies including the console window going away. So there is no console window to see what happens. Again, the process completely dies every day or two. Therefore looking at the console won't help. Maybe we're looking for the HS log to give us a hint?

      2) The KSM of a remote instance usually will trigger an "on" event of a different HS computer when keyboard / mouse starts. This is good. Plus it will usually trigger a different "off" event when there hasn't been typing or mouse for the configured period. This is also good. However, the off event will trigger periodically even though I am still typing on that remote instance. That's a problem. Further, when that happens, using the keyboard of the HS computer (which is a different computer) will trigger the "on" event even though sensing for that computer is turned off. In other words, it stops working on the remote computer it is supposed to be monitoring and the computer it is not supposed to be monitoring will trigger the on event if it gets keyboard or mouse input.

      So also to be clear. I'm interested in monitoring a remote instance and not monitoring the HS computer.

      I have Debug level logging turned on both the remote instance which I want to monitor PLUS I have Debug logging turned on the HS plugin end of things.

      Let me know what's next.

      Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tahl View Post
        1) In terms of this problem, the remote instance KSM process periodically completely dies including the console window going away. So there is no console window to see what happens. Again, the process completely dies every day or two. Therefore looking at the console won't help. Maybe we're looking for the HS log to give us a hint?
        I understand, but I guess to start the remote instance you double click on the run.bat file? If instead you start a command prompt and start the run.bat script from the command line, then even if it crashes the console window should not disappear.

        Originally posted by tahl View Post
        2) The KSM of a remote instance usually will trigger an "on" event of a different HS computer when keyboard / mouse starts. This is good. Plus it will usually trigger a different "off" event when there hasn't been typing or mouse for the configured period. This is also good. However, the off event will trigger periodically even though I am still typing on that remote instance. That's a problem. Further, when that happens, using the keyboard of the HS computer (which is a different computer) will trigger the "on" event even though sensing for that computer is turned off. In other words, it stops working on the remote computer it is supposed to be monitoring and the computer it is not supposed to be monitoring will trigger the on event if it gets keyboard or mouse input.

        So also to be clear. I'm interested in monitoring a remote instance and not monitoring the HS computer.

        I have Debug level logging turned on both the remote instance which I want to monitor PLUS I have Debug logging turned on the HS plugin end of things.

        Let me know what's next.

        Thanks.
        Please try to replicate these problems when starting remote instance as Admin, and if you do please post the logs as well as your ini files.

        Comment


        • #5
          After running KMS for a couple of days with Debug on the console, it is clear what the problem is: the remote instance is getting all the keyboard & mouse events but Homeseer events are not triggering on a consistent basis. In fact, it's like 50%. Here's a two hour segment of the console debug log on the left next to whether the relevant event in HS triggered on the right:

          Code:
          Nov-23 10:02:01 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 0	HS3 event triggered - KMS goes off
          Nov-23 10:02:24 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 1        ---
          Nov-23 10:04:24 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 0	HS3 event triggered - KMS goes off
          Nov-23 10:04:57 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 1        ---
          Nov-23 10:13:52	---					HS3 event triggered - KMS goes off
          Nov-23 10:18:09 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 0        ---
          Nov-23 10:31:23 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 1        ---
          Nov-23 10:33:26 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 0	HS3 event triggered - KMS goes off
          Nov-23 10:39:51 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 1        ---
          Nov-23 10:42:35	---					HS3 event triggered - KMS goes off
          Nov-23 10:50:19 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 0        ---
          Nov-23 12:06:57 DEBUG Setting KMS device value to 1	HS3 event trigger - KMS goes ON
          Further, there are two places where a HS event triggered although there was no corresponding keyboard or mouse event on the remote machine.

          To recap, both machines are Windows/10/Pro, they are hardwired to the network (so extremely low packet low) and the HS machine is running HS3. Even if you were using UDP instead of TCP sockets, I would expect much higher success rates.

          Let me know what's next. PS. It hasn't crashed during the test period.

          Comment


          • #6
            could you post the logs from the View > Logs page instead of console, this way we can see when the events are actually triggered or not.

            could you post screenshots of your events so that I can see how they are configured?

            Do you see the KMS device status changing correctly?

            I have been running the KMS plugin on remote win10 computer for a very long time, and it works very reliably here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by spud View Post
              could you post the logs from the View > Logs page instead of console, this way we can see when the events are actually triggered or not.

              could you post screenshots of your events so that I can see how they are configured?

              Do you see the KMS device status changing correctly?

              I have been running the KMS plugin on remote win10 computer for a very long time, and it works very reliably here.
              Hi. A couple of findings.

              Recap setup: remote I do want to monitor and HS machine I don't want to monitor. Both are Windows/10 machines. Latest software.

              In terms of the remote console, I did a screenshot of where the remote instance quietly just quit. No error or anything. I also have included the full remote console log up to that point.

              Second finding if that there are far more log entries on the HS3 machine than on the remote. I was expecting the opposite. I hand matched the entries from 11/23 12:34:44pm to 11/23 8pm (look at the bottom as the log is in reverse order) and put an asterisk next to HS entries that match and no asterisk otherwise. There are a lot more HS3 entries. This might be that the HS log is getting all KSM entries on both the remote machine and the HS3 machine although I've turned off sensing on the HS machine.

              I've done screenshots of the three events as well (the third one for context).

              Let me know next steps.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                PS. I'm still tracking down events getting missed. Since I'm always changing events, it still might be something on my side. I'd say maybe the focus right now should be on the process just dying after every couple of days. Maybe the excessive log entries in the Homeseer log as well...

                Best,
                Tahl

                Comment


                • #9
                  regarding the excessive log entries, you don't have to run any instance on your HS3 machine if you only want to monitor a remote computer. So try to disable all the local instances, then only restart the remote instance.

                  Make sure there isn't any HSPI_KMS.exe process running on your Homeseer computer.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by spud View Post
                    regarding the excessive log entries, you don't have to run any instance on your HS3 machine if you only want to monitor a remote computer. So try to disable all the local instances, then only restart the remote instance.

                    Make sure there isn't any HSPI_KMS.exe process running on your Homeseer computer.
                    I have not purposefully started a KMS instance on the HS computer. In fact, I specifically disabled monitoring on the HS computer as I showed in the screenshot I sent you. However, in looking at the task list on the HS machine, I see that there are TWO HSPI_KMS tasks running. Delete both? Given that I've specifically disabled monitoring on the HS computer, will I have to specifically kill those tasks each time I restart the HS or its computer? I did nothing to start them.

                    To be clear, I've only start one remote instance (the one that dies every couple of days).

                    Also, I assume you're still looking into why the remote instance is just quitting after a few days.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      what screenshot?

                      yes kill the HSPI_KMS.exe processes on the HS machine, they won't be restarted by HS if they are not enabled in the "PLUG-IN > Manage" page. Please post a screenshot of this page if you are not sure.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by spud View Post
                        what screenshot?

                        yes kill the HSPI_KMS.exe processes on the HS machine, they won't be restarted by HS if they are not enabled in the "PLUG-IN > Manage" page. Please post a screenshot of this page if you are not sure.
                        My bad. I intended to include a screenshot of my configuration last time but was limited to 6 uploads. I've attached the screenshot.

                        So it appears that the HS machine monitoring is NOT disabled: since I've have two HSPI_KMS processes running, when I click on the HS machine it triggers the event _as if a the remote instance_ had done it and all the extra logfile entries.

                        How I can really turn off KMS monitoring for the HS machine?? Since I rebooted that machine less than 24 hours ago, something turned on the processes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tahl View Post
                          My bad. I intended to include a screenshot of my configuration last time but was limited to 6 uploads. I've attached the screenshot.

                          So it appears that the HS machine monitoring is NOT disabled: since I've have two HSPI_KMS processes running, when I click on the HS machine it triggers the event _as if a the remote instance_ had done it and all the extra logfile entries.

                          How I can really turn off KMS monitoring for the HS machine?? Since I rebooted that machine less than 24 hours ago, something turned on the processes.
                          Attachment....
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            please post a screenshot of the "PLUG-INS > Manage" page

                            in the "enable" column you shouldn't see any green switch if no instance is running locally.
                            Last edited by spud; November 27th, 2017, 05:05 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by spud View Post
                              please post a screenshot of the "PLUG-INS > Manage" page

                              in the "enable" column you shouldn't see any green switch if no instance is running locally.
                              Okay, that's confusing. For the HS machine, it's clearly turned keyboard and mouse detection turned off. But, yes, on the manage plugs in page, I had both the HS machine "green" and the remote instance "green". I turned off the HS machine.

                              Now if we can get the remote instance from quitting....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X