Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update interval

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Update interval

    I'm just beginning to implement a presence detection strategy for my home and expect to combine other technology(ies) to help with accuracy but want to maximize usefulness of Life360 which we already use. I would like the PI to provide quickest reasonable reporting of entering a location while not putting unreasonable burden on HS resources. While acknowledging that everyone's situation is unique vis-a-vis server configuration and definition of "reasonable", etc., is there a recommended minimum update interval? Is there any risk of Life360 blocking access if updates are too frequent? I'd be interested to know what intervals others are using and how responsive it allows HS to be with regard to comings and goings. Thanks.
    -Wade

    #2
    Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
    I'm just beginning to implement a presence detection strategy for my home and expect to combine other technology(ies) to help with accuracy but want to maximize usefulness of Life360 which we already use. I would like the PI to provide quickest reasonable reporting of entering a location while not putting unreasonable burden on HS resources. While acknowledging that everyone's situation is unique vis-a-vis server configuration and definition of "reasonable", etc., is there a recommended minimum update interval? Is there any risk of Life360 blocking access if updates are too frequent? I'd be interested to know what intervals others are using and how responsive it allows HS to be with regard to comings and goings. Thanks.
    We've got good response time just with the defaults. I have EasyTrigger watching two location child devices for my wife and myself, and have homeseer turn on the scene 'arrival lights' when we get home, and turn all lights off when we leave. I've got the location of the house in Life360 as "Home" and the events just check between home and away statuses.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by mitchmitchell1616 View Post
      We've got good response time just with the defaults. I have EasyTrigger watching two location child devices for my wife and myself, and have homeseer turn on the scene 'arrival lights' when we get home, and turn all lights off when we leave. I've got the location of the house in Life360 as "Home" and the events just check between home and away statuses.

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      That's pretty much what I plan to do for now--along with adjusting the thermostats. Thanks for the feedback.
      -Wade

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
        I'm just beginning to implement a presence detection strategy for my home and expect to combine other technology(ies) to help with accuracy but want to maximize usefulness of Life360 which we already use. I would like the PI to provide quickest reasonable reporting of entering a location while not putting unreasonable burden on HS resources. While acknowledging that everyone's situation is unique vis-a-vis server configuration and definition of "reasonable", etc., is there a recommended minimum update interval? Is there any risk of Life360 blocking access if updates are too frequent? I'd be interested to know what intervals others are using and how responsive it allows HS to be with regard to comings and goings. Thanks.
        I have ran the polling as low as 30 seconds and as high as 5 minutes. The 1 minute seems to be the in between sweet spot. However there is a caveat that the mobile client does not update at specific intervals. The client will update Life360 once at least every 15 minutes and then dynamically is movement is detected and then the update interval during motion periods is dynamic. So there's no consistent update interval from mobile to life360 that you can expect.

        Updates also vary based upon phones and I have seen differences between the same make/model of phones as well. So it's best to simply experiment and find the "sweet spot" for your phones and update intervals.

        There is always a risk of Life360 blocking connections for any reason without warning.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

          I have ran the polling as low as 30 seconds and as high as 5 minutes. The 1 minute seems to be the in between sweet spot. However there is a caveat that the mobile client does not update at specific intervals. The client will update Life360 once at least every 15 minutes and then dynamically is movement is detected and then the update interval during motion periods is dynamic. So there's no consistent update interval from mobile to life360 that you can expect.

          Updates also vary based upon phones and I have seen differences between the same make/model of phones as well. So it's best to simply experiment and find the "sweet spot" for your phones and update intervals.

          There is always a risk of Life360 blocking connections for any reason without warning.
          Thanks John.
          -Wade

          Comment

          Working...
          X