Life360 Plug-In; Where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life360 Plug-In; Where do I start?

I admit I am very new with HS3 but do have a significant Z-Wave environment running with no issues. I am very curious about location and GEO-Fencing so I started with Life360. The Android interface is not the best (e.g. some erroneous travel info & can't reset travel history) but it is, for the most part, accurate. However, I am having trouble trying to understated how to utilize the Life360 plug-in, especially with respect to Devices, Locations, and Status Values to determine a persons location so I can create events based on that. The locations I created within Life360 did automatically show up when I perform a location update, but I cannot for the life of me get any to change beyond ONLINE, which I changed to HOME. There were four Person Location devices created, but no matter how I configure them or the "main device", they do not show the icon I use for that location. Also the "last update" does not change unless I restart the plug-in. Is there a "getting started" guide. If so, my numerous GOOGLE inquiries brought up nothing.

Originally posted by reminc View Post
    I admit I am very new with HS3 but do have a significant Z-Wave environment running with no issues. I am very curious about location and GEO-Fencing so I started with Life360. The Android interface is not the best (e.g. some erroneous travel info & can't reset travel history) but it is, for the most part, accurate. However, I am having trouble trying to understated how to utilize the Life360 plug-in, especially with respect to Devices, Locations, and Status Values to determine a persons location so I can create events based on that. The locations I created within Life360 did automatically show up when I perform a location update, but I cannot for the life of me get any to change beyond ONLINE, which I changed to HOME. There were four Person Location devices created, but no matter how I configure them or the "main device", they do not show the icon I use for that location. Also the "last update" does not change unless I restart the plug-in. Is there a "getting started" guide. If so, my numerous GOOGLE inquiries brought up nothing.
    The plugin connects to the Life360 system and updates based upon the polling interval you configure in the plugin configuration.

Places and Members are pulled from the server and there are additional devices (Wifi, battery, google map etc) that are available in the plugin configuration as well. You can add those after the plugin is running.

As a member changes places the location device will update to reflect the location (Place) within Life360. The default place is Home/Away. The other places are pulled from what you've added to Life360.

Usage for Geofencing is based around Places. The Member is either at a known place or they are Away. This is how Life360 works. The location device will update to the "place" that is known by Life360 or it will show Away and if available there will also be an address. You can create events based upon specific places or the most common being Home. If a person enters the Home Place then the device will update to reflect that. When they leave the device will change to Away until they are within another known Place at which it will change to be that place.

Although the mobile as is required for use I highly recommend using their website in a full browser for configuring and setting up your places.

Comment

I think I understand theoretically how it works with the Devices, Places, etc, but I was hoping there is a “getting started” guide that shows the minimum configuration necessary to perhaps show when someone is home, away from home, then at work, then away from work. I assume I need 2 places in Life360, created from their web portal for simplifying, and then do I need two devices (HOME & WORK) where the status is either “there” or “not there” shown on each? What is bare minimum configuration on main configuration and then under the devices? Perhaps I did it correctly and I am dealing with an update problem.

Comment

Perhaps seeing my configuration will help. By checking the appropriate boxes on the PI's config page, devices are automatically created:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	764
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1293347

My devices:

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	1572
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1293346

If all you want is to know whether the user is home or at work, the only box you need to check on the config page is Place/Location. The location child device will be created, and its status will be updated with the Life360 places accordingly. The PI will poll the Life360 server at the interval you set. I have Life360 places called "Home" and "Office" and therefore status possibilities for the location device are Home, Office, or Away. Again, the device is automatically created by the plugin, so you shouldn't need to create additional devices to keep up with home and work.

If you add or change Places in Life360, go back to the PI config page and at the bottom click on Update Places.

Does this answer your question?
        -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
          Perhaps seeing my configuration will help. By checking the appropriate boxes on the PI's config page, devices are automatically created:

My devices:

If all you want is to know whether the user is home or at work, the only box you need to check on the config page is Place/Location. The location child device will be created, and its status will be updated with the Life360 places accordingly. The PI will poll the Life360 server at the interval you set. I have Life360 places called "Home" and "Office" and therefore status possibilities for the location device are Home, Office, or Away. Again, the device is automatically created by the plugin, so you shouldn't need to create additional devices to keep up with home and work.

If you add or change Places in Life360, go back to the PI config page and at the bottom click on Update Places.

Correct. All "configuration" of your places is done through Life360. There is not much for you to create or do with the plugin devices other than use them for event triggers or conditions. Also the Places will periodically update so it's not absolutely necessary to manually click the update places after a change only if you want that change to be reflected quickly.

Comment

Well, again, I deleted the Life360 Plugin and deleted all associated devices and then reinstalled the Life360 Plugin. First thing I noticed is that it kept the same "main" config selections. You can see that it shows me as AWAY, although my Life360 android app shows "At Home". Also, you see there is no update date and time for anything other than the root device. Do I need to go into each device and configure those or is the default good enough? I see the "places" within the "location" devices Status Graphics tab along with their corresponding values for each place. I just am not sure i know how to configure all screens (I followed config above to the tee) or do I has another issue.

Here is a log entry...
            Could not read: Config/Life360/life360places.confSystem.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Home at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) [0x0015a] in <DELETED IN CASE THIS IS PRIVATE INFO>:0 at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].Add (TKey key, TValue value) [0x00000] in <DELETED IN CASE THIS IS PRIVATE INFO>:0 at HSPI_Life360.CurrentPlugin.UpdatePlacesConf () [0x000fb] in :0

Comment

You have an issue that is happened recently with the latest HS3 version. You have duplicate devices. Go through the device list and delete the duplicates. There should only be one of each device type for each user/member.

In the configuration section enable debug logging and wait for the update time and then in the logs check to see that there are messages of the devices updating.

Comment

Well, that was it. All seems fine except the "Is Driving" is still FALSE even though the Speed shows 19mph. The Life 360 Debug logs shows Is Driving: 0 so that is probably on their side. I will have to see if this persons "Drive Detection On" within their Android app is turned on. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by reminc View Post
                  Well, that was it. All seems fine except the "Is Driving" is still FALSE even though the Speed shows 19mph. The Life 360 Debug logs shows Is Driving: 0 so that is probably on their side. I will have to see if this persons "Drive Detection On" within their Android app is turned on. Thanks for all the help.
                  The drive detection I've found to be problematic at best and does not always work. This however is a Life360 issue of them not collecting/reporting correctly.

Glad things are working now. I still need to do some re-writes to fix the duplication issue that has emerged recently.

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

My devices:

I am having issues getting this plug-in to do anything. I have mirrored the settings above but it keeps throwing this error. "WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from Life360 - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed"

What else could I be missing? Is there something I need to do on my account or phone?

Name:	L360.PNG
Views:	663
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1300164

Comment

Quirky work around this but under "PLUG-INS---->LIFE360--->CONFIG" I unchecked "Enabled", then went into "PLUG-INS---->Manage" and disabled the Life360 instance and re-enabled it. The error cleared and gave the "OK" status. I went back into the "PLUG-INS---->LIFE360--->CONFIG" and checked the "Enable" box again and the status remained OK. However nothing is populating or showing up in the device page. Still stumped...

Comment

HS3 Version?
                        Windows or Linux? If Linux what version of Mono?

Do you have this odd duplicate device problem? If so delete one of the duplicate devices and then restart the plugin.

Comment

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500 (Linux). I have no devices since it has failed to even create any devices at all. Doesn't even register in my device list... How do I find out what version of Mono I have? Cant find that...

Comment

Originally posted by willyv1004 View Post
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500 (Linux). I have no devices since it has failed to even create any devices at all. Doesn't even register in my device list... How do I find out what version of Mono I have? Cant find that...
                            From a linux terminal you can run 'mono --version'

If this is a HomeTroller you will need to upgrade Mono. There are instructions in the forum for this or you can contact HS support.

Comment

Okay thanks...
                              I just pulled this from the log if it helps... Not sure what it means but I assume when I try to connect it logs this
                              Apr-21 9:38:37 AM Error Posting back to plugin web page Life360Config: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke (System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy rp, IMessage msg, System.Exception& exc, System.Object[]& out_args) [0x00000] in :0

Comment

Working...
                              X