Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help configuring Restart for Win10

Hello,

I have issues with Windows 10 applying updates, then restarting my HS3 server. Trying to configure a means to ensure HS3 always starts up after a server reboot.

I have the PC setup in BIOS to always power back up in the event of a power failure, so have that covered.

But...so far unable to configure HS3 to restart after updates applied. Have configured a Windows event, but unable to get that to work. Therefore hopeful that this Restart Plugin will do the trick. In the sticky thread mention of putting a link in the startup folder but could really use some direction here. If I simply put HS3.exe shortcut in the startup folder, does not work as Win10 waits for me to answer "yes" to the exe.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I would recommend using StartUp Delayer free version found here:
    http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/s...artup-delayer/
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Tomadoggy View Post
      Hello,

I have issues with Windows 10 applying updates, then restarting my HS3 server. Trying to configure a means to ensure HS3 always starts up after a server reboot.

I have the PC setup in BIOS to always power back up in the event of a power failure, so have that covered.

But...so far unable to configure HS3 to restart after updates applied. Have configured a Windows event, but unable to get that to work. Therefore hopeful that this Restart Plugin will do the trick. In the sticky thread mention of putting a link in the startup folder but could really use some direction here. If I simply put HS3.exe shortcut in the startup folder, does not work as Win10 waits for me to answer "yes" to the exe.

If you look in the directory HomeSeer HS3/Bin/restart/ there is an exe there called restartHomeSeer.exe. Right click on that file and click Create Shortcut. Place that icon in your start up folder. In the admin for the plugin you can set how long you want the startup to wait before it starts HomeSeer. You can also use the plugin to restart HS if you need to.

There are also ways to stop Windows 10 from automatically doing an update. I have mine setup so that Windows 10 will remind me when there are updates but it won't install them until I click Update. It's been a long while since I set that up but you should be able to find directions by doing a google search.
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by Tomadoggy View Post
        Hello,

I have used this method I posted a while back. Windows can do their updates whenever they want and reboot the computer but this way the computer always comes back up with HS3 loaded and running.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...8&postcount=24

Comment

Help configuring Restart for Win10

I do run a good deal of services on my windows server. I would recommend either setting
          1. your system to auto-login and then set a scheduled task to run a certain number of minutes after logon
          or
          2. setup a service account that has local admin permissions on the box and a scheduled task that is set to trigger a few minutes after OS start up. note that if you opt for the later, the service account will need run as a service in your local policy.

there is some danger in going with option 1 as if your system is compromised an attacker can take direct control of the local terminal. I have heard that HS3 can behave oddly when ran as a service.

Setting up the later option should look something like the below:
          A. create the service account and provision permissions to the account:
          1. hold down windows key and right click the start button - open control panel - administrative tools - computer management.
          2. expand local users and groups - right click users - select new user
          3. create your new user account.
          4. Select Groups - right click administrators - select add to group.
          5. add the new service account to the administrators group.

B. grant run as a service to the service account
          1. hold down windows key and right click the start button - run - enter "gpedit.msc"
          2. navigate to and open: computer management - windows settings - security settings user rights assignment - logon as a service
          3. select add user or group. add the service account you made above and hit ok.

C. create the new scheduled task
          1. hold down windows key and right click the start button - open control panel - administrative tools - task scheduler
          2. from the file menu select Action then create task
          3. in the general tab give the task a name and description.
          4. Select "Change user or group and set it to run as the new service account. press ok.
          5. set the radio button for "run whether user is logged on or not
          6. check the box for run with highest level privileges
          7. on the triggers tab select "New" set the field begin the task to "at startup".
          8. check the box for delay task for and set it to 1 minute and press ok.
          (note you may need to adjust this if 1 minute is not enough. i run all my OS drives on SSD so they only take a few seconds to boot up).
          9. in the actions tab select "New"
          10. set the action to start a program browse to and select your exe. once complete press ok.
          11. press ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Kerat; September 25, 2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Seems to be working

Thanks to all for the ideas and replies! I ended up deleting and then recreating my Win10 task instead of using the restart plugin (however may try that also at a later date) Good news is that now the task is working! Have rebooted several times and HS3 is always up. At the end of the day I feel that this is the most secure means of launching. Certainly don't want to set up new users with permissions etc.

Comment

Working...
            X