Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restart question

Hi Jeff

I have a question about restart. I have restart setup to start HS 120 sec. When I restart PC, HS start immediately when the desktop appears. Is this normal? Shouldn't the desktop appear then after 120 sec. HS startup?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
    Hi Jeff

I have a question about restart. I have restart setup to start HS 120 sec. When I restart PC, HS start immediately when the desktop appears. Is this normal? Shouldn't the desktop appear then after 120 sec. HS startup?
    Yes, it should wait 120 seconds if you are using a startup delay. Can you post a screenshot of where you have set the 120 second delay.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Here you go... Now sorry if it's a dum question. Do you need to have HS3 added manually to you start up folder? Or does the plugin automatically start HS thru other means ? In my case I added it to the start up folder. (It was 180 no 120 sec)
      Attached Files
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I wonder when the count actually starts?
        Hector
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Bump
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Bump

Don't add HS3 to the startup folder...

Add the restarthomeseer.exe located in the bin directory to your startup folder. The count starts from when restarthomeseer.exe starts running.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Here you go... Now sorry if it's a dum question. Do you need to have HS3 added manually to you start up folder? Or does the plugin automatically start HS thru other means ? In my case I added it to the start up folder. (It was 180 no 120 sec)
              OK, you're using Jeff Farmer's Restart plugin. I wouldn't think it would be able to delay the startup if you have a shortcut to HomeSeer in your startup folder. From his explanation: "You can add an icon to your Startup Folder that will allow you to set how many seconds before HomeSeer should be started. This allows windows to completely start before starting HomeSeer". You may have to see how to add that icon he is referring to. Maybe send Jeff (cfguy) a message.

I use Startup Delayer because it works with Windows 8 more reliably than any other method I have tried - and it is free!

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

Add the restarthomeseer.exe located in the bin directory to your startup folder. The count starts from when restarthomeseer.exe starts running.
                Al answered while I was typing. Do what he said

Comment

Thanks for filling in for me and answering the question.

I had a late afternoon Doctors visit today and then took my wife out to eat afterwards.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone
                  My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                  Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

I did as you stated and I got this warning, I am running win7.
                    Attached Files
                    Hector
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Here's what I did with windows 7. I left the restartHomeSeer.exe in the HomeSeer HS3/Bin/Restart directory.

1. Create a shortcut for restartHomeSeer.exe. To do that open Windows explorer and go to the Bin/restart directory. Right click on restartHomeSeer.exe. Then click on Create shortcut. When the shortcut is created it will be named
                      restartHomeSeer.exe - Shortcut

2. Right click on the shortcut and click Properties.
                      In the properties window click on the Shortcut tab and look for Start in.
                      It will have something like this:
                      "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Bin\Restart"
                      depending on your install directory.

3. Remove the \Bin\Restart so that you have:
                      "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3"
                      Do not change the path before the HomeSeer HS3 directory. It needs to point to your HomeSeer directory.

4. On the shortcut tab click on the Advanced button. Click on the checkbox to run as Administrator. Click OK to close the property windows.

5. Right click on the shortcut and click Rename. Change the name to StartHomeseer.

6. Move the shortcut to your startup directory. Right click on the shortcut and click Cut. Navigate to the following directory.
                      C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
                      Paste the shortcut.

7. Check your Start Menu and confirm that StartHomeseer is in startup.
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone
                      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I followed your instructions but nothing happened, it got to the desk top but did not start HS.
                        Attached Files
                        Hector
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                          Here's what I did with windows 7. I left the restartHomeSeer.exe in the HomeSeer HS3/Bin/Restart directory.

1. Create a shortcut for restartHomeSeer.exe. To do that open Windows explorer and go to the Bin/restart directory. Right click on restartHomeSeer.exe. Then click on Create shortcut. When the shortcut is created it will be named
                          restartHomeSeer.exe - Shortcut

2. Right click on the shortcut and click Properties.
                          In the properties window click on the Shortcut tab and look for Start in.
                          It will have something like this:
                          "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Bin\Restart"
                          depending on your install directory.

3. Remove the \Bin\Restart so that you have:
                          "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3"
                          Do not change the path before the HomeSeer HS3 directory. It needs to point to your HomeSeer directory.

4. On the shortcut tab click on the Advanced button. Click on the checkbox to run as Administrator. Click OK to close the property windows.

5. Right click on the shortcut and click Rename. Change the name to StartHomeseer.

6. Move the shortcut to your startup directory. Right click on the shortcut and click Cut. Navigate to the following directory.
                          C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
                          Paste the shortcut.

7. Check your Start Menu and confirm that StartHomeseer is in startup.

Could you please explain steps 3, 5, and 6?

Why remove the end of the path?
                          Why change the name?
                          What's wrong with just dropping the shortcut in the startup directory?
                          Originally posted by rprade
                          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                            Could you please explain steps 3, 5, and 6?

Why remove the end of the path?
                            My understanding of starting up HS is that the Start In directory needs to be the HS root directory so that scripts will work properly when you have Imports statements at the top of the scripts.

Why change the name?
                            No reason functionally. It was just to give it a more descriptive name.

What's wrong with just dropping the shortcut in the startup directory?
                            There are several startup directories. The pathway that I posted is supposed to be for All Users. In my case I have Windows 7 set to auto login to a set username so I could place the shortcut in either directory.
                            I didn't know how Rotechs was setup so I went the All User route.
                            --
                            Jeff Farmer
                            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

I followed your instructions but nothing happened, it got to the desk top but did not start HS.
                              In an above post you moved the restartHomeseer.exe to the startup folder. Did you copy it back to the HS3/Bin/Restart directory?

I can tell you that the steps I posted do work. I have my computer setup that way running windows 7?
                              --
                              Jeff Farmer
                              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                              X