UAC problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UAC problem

I have not been able to get the plug-in to reboot my HS3 machine without having to check the box to "allow changes" to my computer. I can't seem to disable the UAC. Is there a work around for this?

It works fine for restart but not for reboot.

Originally posted by noopara View Post
    I have not been able to get the plug-in to reboot my HS3 machine without having to check the box to "allow changes" to my computer. I can't seem to disable the UAC. Is there a work around for this?

It works fine for restart but not for reboot.

Have you tried it from a remote machine or as an event action? It works for me and I don't have UAC disabled
    cheeryfool

Comment

Are you running the application as an admin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am for sure. In my experience HS3 doesn't run well without admin privs, though I believe I've read that it IS supposed to.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Since my machine is a dedicated HomeSeer server, I disable UAC altogether. Reasonably safe on a machine that will not be used for casual browsing or email where you could accidentally launch a malicious executable. UAC and administrator privileges are independent of one another. A user account may have administrator privileges assigned to it, but applications that the user runs do not inherit those privileges unless they are approved beforehand or the user explicitly authorizes it. Disabling UAC allows what is already an admin account to run all applications with admin privileges.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
            I am for sure. In my experience HS3 doesn't run well without admin privs, though I believe I've read that it IS supposed to.

Are you starting HS3 as a service or at logon? If at log on are you doing it from task scheduler, or the startup folder? I ask because there is a check box when creating task in task scheduler "Run with highest privileges." I am pretty sure this setting bypasses UAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
              Are you starting HS3 as a service or at logon? If at log on are you doing it from task scheduler, or the startup folder? I ask because there is a check box when creating task in task scheduler "Run with highest privileges." I am pretty sure this setting bypasses UAC.

I use Startup Delayer to launch HS3 after an automatic login and it launches with highest privileges.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Thanks guys for all the input.

I am getting close to transferring everything over from HS2 to HS3. Now I am looking for a reliable method to restart and reboot HS3 like what I have had for HS2. HS2 has been operating on a PRO100 (XP embedded) and HS3 is on a stand alone mini-ITX box with Win10.

What I am trying to do is find the best method of executing an automatic unattended daily HS3 restart and weekly reboot that will work for many months without fail. That's what I have had with HS2 for many years.

I've tried about every way to accomplish this and I think the best approach for me is to
                1. change the way I access HS3 and go with a headless setup (this reduces the CPU load on the HS3 machine by a huge amount)
                2. kill UAC completely
                3. turn off automatic Win10 and HS3 updates
                4. use the Restart Plug-in for daily restarts
                5. use this script for the weekly reboot
                hs.SetDeviceValue(333, 100) ' reset by morningReport
                hs.ShutDown()
                hs.Launch("C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe", " -f -r -t 60", "", 0)
                hs.ShutDown()
                6. use Startup Delayer to start HS3 and Speaker

Every month or so check for Win10 and HS3 updates after which make sure that UAC is still turned off. (I have noticed that it gets turned back on after updates)

What do you think of this approach?

Comment

So, I have heard running HS3 as a service on Windows environments is not 100% supported by all plugins.

Have you considered configuring your PC to auto login your user account at startup? Then you could setup a delayed start task after user login in windows task scheduler.
                  Also, if you are intent on disabling UAC you should be able to disable this from the computer's registry
                  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4820/...-on-windows-7/
                  (and then set a local group policy to re-apply a registry key on logoff).

Comment

Thanks for chiming in.

Yeah, I have heard of problems with running HS3 as a service so I am not.

I have disabled UAC via the registry and have used netplwiz to eliminate the need to enter user name and password.

Here's my list again...
                    1. set up HS3 as a headless stand alone computer (this reduces the CPU load on the HS3 machine by a huge amount)
                    2. kill UAC completely via registry
                    3. use netplwiz and uncheck the "Users must enter user name and password" option
                    4. turn off automatic Win10 and HS3 updates (enable/disable Metered Connection)
                    5. use the Restart Plug-in for daily restarts
                    6. use this script for the weekly reboot
                    hs.SetDeviceValue(333, 100) ' reset by morningReport
                    hs.ShutDown()
                    hs.Launch("C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe", " -f -r -t 60", "", 0)
                    hs.ShutDown()
                    7. use Startup Delayer to start HS3 and Speaker
                    8. every month or so check for Win10 and HS3 updates after which make sure that UAC is still turned off and run netplwiz to enusure that login is still not required.

Comment

Working...
                    X