Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monument
    replied
    All makes sense Steve. Appreciate that you have a vision for this and maintaining some alignment to that. Also appreciate the plug -in.... i'll keep playing with it.

Leave a comment:

• SteveMSJ
    replied
    Originally posted by monument View Post
    Hey Steve, while i'm at it, i have a thought/request. it would be nice (in my opinion) to be able to specify directly the expected wake up interval, rather than using the last sleep time (which can vary). I realize that if all is working well and devices wake up on a regular schedule, it's fine. but when things go awry, you can get a really long sleep, which means a super long window to check next. conversely, if you do a bunch of manual wake ups you'll have a short window and fail the check. Maybe not a big deal, but to my mind being able to directly tell SDJ what the device's wake up interval (which you need to set in zwave anyway), would be more deterministic and easier to understand.
    Just a thought. I really like the plug in by the way (or i wouldn't bother you). -m
    I take your points about user defined wake-up intervals but it sort of goes against my original thinking with the plug-in. The original ethos was to have a plug-in that you could turn on and it would configure itself to monitor your non-listening Z-Wave battery devices and alert you if any of the batteries died without any need to setup. It detects these devices the first time they wake-up and configures sleep times based on subsequent wake-ups. It will pick up if you add a new device or reconfigure an existing. Some of my battery devices, e.g. StellaZ, necessitate very short 6 minute wake periods whereas other devices such as door sensors are maybe 6 or 12 hour. The plug-in doesn't mind how long and it will readjust automatically if you change the sleep time of individual devices.
    Of course the plug-in has become much more complicated than that as I later extended it with additional monitoring methods, to deal with other types of devices, more alerts, battery logging, etc, and added ways of varying global parameters as well as overriding local parameters for individual devices where necessary. So, it's not a stretch to suggest that fixed wake-up periods could be optionally assigned for individual devices. However, I’m not sure in reality it would be much used as you would need to set the sleep time in two places the device and the plug-in if you wanted to change it for any reason.

I can see it would be useful in the situation you encountered, with the HS logging error, but this shouldn’t happen and hopefully was an isolated issue with the particular HS and Z-Wave versions you had running. If it turns out to be a continuing problem I’d rather tackle the specific issue head on rather than work round it with fixed sleep periods.

I find HS extremely reliable and stable (touch wood!) so don’t have any issues with false missed wakeups. The only time I get false warnings is in the rare circumstances that I manually trigger a wakeup on a device to check or reconfigure its parameters. If it is significantly in advance of the normal wakeup it will likely trigger a warning shortly after but then readjust on subsequent wake-ups. Because I know I have manually fiddled with that device the warning doesn't come as a surprise.

Let me know how you get on and whether the issue you encountered reoccurs.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• monument
    replied
    Hey Steve, while i'm at it, i have a thought/request. it would be nice (in my opinion) to be able to specify directly the expected wake up interval, rather than using the last sleep time (which can vary). I realize that if all is working well and devices wake up on a regular schedule, it's fine. but when things go awry, you can get a really long sleep, which means a super long window to check next. conversely, if you do a bunch of manual wake ups you'll have a short window and fail the check. Maybe not a big deal, but to my mind being able to directly tell SDJ what the device's wake up interval (which you need to set in zwave anyway), would be more deterministic and easier to understand.
    Just a thought. I really like the plug in by the way (or i wouldn't bother you). -m

Leave a comment:

• monument
    replied
    ok, thx. i'm intentionally running an older zwave PI upgrade due to a bug in how they treat some window sensors i added last summer (the "improvement" broke something). but i can live with it (and no view to roadmap so might be a long time on that fix). i'll update the zwave PI and watch it for a while. thanks for the help..... cheers.

Leave a comment:

• SteveMSJ
    replied
    [QUOTE=monument;n1257719]PS: just noticed that overnite all devices checked in OK. See attached. So clearly an intermittent somewhere on my end... perhaps in the z-wave PI?

Yes, worth upgrading to see if it cures the Z-Wave missed logging.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• SteveMSJ
    replied
    Appreciate the fast response Steve. thanks, that's helpful to know what you're triggering on. it seems that first message is intermittent (see filtered log attached). as it looks like there are multiple examples of both working and non-workling scenarios, i'll try to correlate in my logs to some common activity -- assuming there is some reason those messages get dropped.]
    That's curious as I've never seen the Z-Wave plug-in drop those Wake-Up messages or seen it reported before.

One thing I notice is that you are running HS3 3.0.0.425. I seem to remember there were some problems with 425 although maybe not related. I'm on beta 459 although I think the latest official release is 435 so it might be worth upgrading. Also Z-Wave latest official release is 3.0.1.245 so again it might be worth upgrading to see if it makes any difference.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• monument
    replied
    PS: just noticed that overnite all devices checked in OK. See attached. So clearly an intermittent somewhere on my end... perhaps in the z-wave PI?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sdj ok.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1257720

Name:	sdj ok2.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1257722
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• monument
    replied
    Appreciate the fast response Steve. thanks, that's helpful to know what you're triggering on. it seems that first message is intermittent (see filtered log attached). as it looks like there are multiple examples of both working and non-workling scenarios, i'll try to correlate in my logs to some common activity -- assuming there is some reason those messages get dropped.

Name:	sdj log 3.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1257713
    i checked SDJ-config is set to Monitor Wakeups, and all znets set to log poll and wakesups (see attached). my profile attached also.

Name:	zwave.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1257714

Name:	hs3 profile.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1257715

Leave a comment:

• SteveMSJ
    replied
    For some time now i've been getting random "missed wake up" alerts, so I pushed the interval way up to allow 5 missed and a 720 min overrun. Today got a bunch missed again, so i dug into the log. Attached are two snips -- one shows the device status and the other a recent log entry where (I think) the device woke up but was not recorded as such (look where the yellow arrow is pointing). I fear i've got something messed up, but I can't find it so hoping for some guidance or thoughts.
    thanks in advance - m]
    That's very odd. The problem I see from your log extract is that whilst there is a Z-Wave message saying '...Wake-Up Notification processing...' this should be preceded by a message of the form 'Garage Znet: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received...'. The notification received message is the first thing HS logs when a device wakes-up and that is the message that SDJ-Health picks up on. Normally this is at exactly the same time as any processing messages but maybe there is some delay and it is earlier in the log than the snippet you have posted. Please can you have a look for the 'Wake-Up Notification Received' messages and report back.

Here is an example:

Name:	log.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1257689

Also please can you post your system profile from the >Tools>Help menu.

Whilst probably not the issue please can you check that:
    'Monitor log for Wakeups' is checked in >SDJ-Health>Config
    and
    'Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages' is checked for all networks in the >Plug-Ins>Z-Wave menu.

Thanks,
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• monument
    started a topic logged wakeup not queued

logged wakeup not queued

For some time now i've been getting random "missed wake up" alerts, so I pushed the interval way up to allow 5 missed and a 720 min overrun. Today got a bunch missed again, so i dug into the log. Attached are two snips -- one shows the device status and the other a recent log entry where (I think) the device woke up but was not recorded as such (look where the yellow arrow is pointing). I fear i've got something messed up, but I can't find it so hoping for some guidance or thoughts.
    thanks in advance - m

Name:	status mudroom bath.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1257635

Name:	mudroom bath 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1257636
Working...