Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I delete this phantom device?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I delete this phantom device?

    I had to re-add one of my fibaro motion sensors in the house - homeseer lost it completely. I could not get homeseer to delete it before I added it so I ended up with two sets of devices. I deleted the original set. In SDJ Health it is still showing a device with no name. This was for the battery. I clicked refresh, retriever, etc. Should I just delete the device? Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by simonmason View Post
    I had to re-add one of my fibaro motion sensors in the house - homeseer lost it completely. I could not get homeseer to delete it before I added it so I ended up with two sets of devices. I deleted the original set. In SDJ Health it is still showing a device with no name. This was for the battery. I clicked refresh, retriever, etc. Should I just delete the device? Thanks.
    Yes, just delete the monitoring child if the actual device has been deleted.

    I can’t remember off hand if the pi checks for deleted devices. I thought it did but I might have disabled that to avoid the risk of deleting a monitoring device by mistake. I will check.

    Steve

    Comment


    • #3
      Well the device is gone this morning so it looks like you do delete it. Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Next question - may be related. Health root is showing 17 OK for all battery devices this morning. Yet the value is set to 0 - missed wakeup call. All devices show green. The only one that was showing the missed wake up call yesterday was this phantom device. It would seem that Health root did not get reset when the phantom device was deleted?

        Comment


        • #5
          Update. It is related. In reality there are only 16 devices showing and it reports checking 17. I am getting a little confused about devices that require polling vs activity monitoring vs nothing. So I cleared all of these dropdowns and then are slowly adding back batteries as needed.

          First it yelled at me about a radio shack wireless thermometer so I added that to the devices that require activity monitoring. It's not available in the polling list. I have some other battery powered temp sensors, such as one in the pool. So far they are reporting fine without being selected in the activity monitoring - presumably they report battery status as a separate event from temp updates and the plugin is seeing that?

          An Aeon Labs multi-sensor in the dining room is showing up in the devices that require polling list. Yet all other Aeon Labs sensors in the house do not and are polling fine. I have included a shot of the Dining Room sensor and another sensor in one of the bedrooms. The only difference I can see is that the dining room sensor has a polling interval set for the battery and the bedroom sensor does not. I am not sure how they ended up setup differently but I can adjust the dining room sensor setup as needed?

          I also noticed that the bedroom sensor is not showing any neighbors. I am assuming that is because it was not awake during any optimize and I should probably wake it up and run an optimize?

          Thanks for the help.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by simonmason View Post
            Well the device is gone this morning so it looks like you do delete it. Thanks.
            Yes, having checked back through the code the pi checks on startup whether any devices it is monitoring have been deleted and if so removes the monitoring child.

            Steve

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by simonmason View Post
              Next question - may be related. Health root is showing 17 OK for all battery devices this morning. Yet the value is set to 0 - missed wakeup call. All devices show green. The only one that was showing the missed wake up call yesterday was this phantom device. It would seem that Health root did not get reset when the phantom device was deleted?
              I'm not sure why that would happen. I will need to do some testing to see if i can reproduce the issue. If you restart the plug-in does it sort itself out?

              Steve

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                Update. It is related. In reality there are only 16 devices showing and it reports checking 17. I am getting a little confused about devices that require polling vs activity monitoring vs nothing. So I cleared all of these dropdowns and then are slowly adding back batteries as needed.

                First it yelled at me about a radio shack wireless thermometer so I added that to the devices that require activity monitoring. It's not available in the polling list. I have some other battery powered temp sensors, such as one in the pool. So far they are reporting fine without being selected in the activity monitoring - presumably they report battery status as a separate event from temp updates and the plugin is seeing that?

                An Aeon Labs multi-sensor in the dining room is showing up in the devices that require polling list. Yet all other Aeon Labs sensors in the house do not and are polling fine. I have included a shot of the Dining Room sensor and another sensor in one of the bedrooms. The only difference I can see is that the dining room sensor has a polling interval set for the battery and the bedroom sensor does not. I am not sure how they ended up setup differently but I can adjust the dining room sensor setup as needed?

                I also noticed that the bedroom sensor is not showing any neighbors. I am assuming that is because it was not awake during any optimise and I should probably wake it up and run an optimize?

                Thanks for the help.
                Non-listening Z-Wave battery devices are monitored by detecting their wake-ups so don't need Polling or Activity Monitoring. However, they won't be detected until the first time they wake up. There is a hierarchy to the monitoring so that if you set a non-listening device to be monitored by Activity Monitoring it should automatically change to be monitored by wake-ups when the plug-in detects a wake-up.

                Non-listening Z-Wave devices should NOT be in the list of devices available for monitoring by Polling but there is a bug where under certain circumstances one might creep into this list. This is due to a change I made a few versions ago to overcome a bug in HS where somebodies listening device erroneously reported as non-pollable. I have decided to reverse that change as it was probably a unique circumstance. This is probably why your Dining Room sensor is showing as available for polling. Don't select it in that list because it will automatically be monitored by Wake-ups.

                The types of monitoring, reasons and advantages are explained in the guide on page 5 but it might not be as clear as it could be. Most Z-Wave battery devices are non-listening and will be detected and monitored automatically by the plug-in as they announce wake-ups at regular intervals. Locks and sirens are listening devices, effectively always awake, so they need to be monitored by polling or activity.

                The thing to remember is that the monitoring method is to do with detecting whether the battery device is alive or dead. It doesn't have anything to do with monitoring the battery levels. The battery levels are read by HS (Z-Wave plug-in or other depending on the devices technology). The plug-in reports and alerts on battery levels but this is not dependent on which monitoring method is used for detecting alive/dead.

                If you are unsure about specific devices post the details and I will try and help.

                Steve

                I

                Comment


                • #9
                  Great - thanks. I have made all of my locks polling. I have made all of the thermostat and similar sensors listen on activity as they don't wake up. As for the dining room. I think it is scheduled to wake-up tonight so it should be fine tomorrow.

                  I also upped the missedwakefactor to 2. If I understand it correctly this means it will only warn me when a device has been missed twice?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                    I also upped the missedwakefactor to 2. If I understand it correctly this means it will only warn me when a device has been missed twice?
                    Yes it does.
                    Note that whilst you can set this, and most other parameters, globally you can also override the settings for individual devices if you wish. So if you have one particularly unreliable device that regularly misses the odd wake-up you might set its MissedWakeFactor to 1 or 2 whilst leaving the global setting at 0 or 1.

                    Steve

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X