I'm not seeing what the manual says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not seeing what the manual says

I've just installed the SDJ-Health plug-in (HS3) and am trying to figure out how to use it but not seeing what the manual says.

1) it says "IMPORTANT If you want to monitor wake-ups of Z-Wave non-listening devices it is necessary to have ‘Log Poll and Wake-up Messages’ checked in ‘Plugins>Z-Wave>Z-Wave Network and Options’." but I don't see that option in the dropdown menu.

2) at the top of the plugin info in Device Management, it says it's monitoring 2 devices, but I have tons of battery devices, why is it not monitoring all of them?

Any suggestions? What I need is emails when a device (battery or not) hasn't been heard from in a while and needs rebooting/repair/battery change.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post
    I've just installed the SDJ-Health plug-in (HS3) and am trying to figure out how to use it but not seeing what the manual says.

1) it says "IMPORTANT If you want to monitor wake-ups of Z-Wave non-listening devices it is necessary to have ‘Log Poll and Wake-up Messages’ checked in ‘Plugins>Z-Wave>Z-Wave Network and Options’." but I don't see that option in the dropdown menu.
    Sorry that is a mistype in the guide. I've missed out 'Controller Management'. It should be:
    ‘Plugins>Z-Wave>Controller Management>Z-Wave Networks and Options’

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wake-Up.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	1409808

2) at the top of the plugin info in Device Management, it says it's monitoring 2 devices, but I have tons of battery devices, why is it not monitoring all of them?
    Once you have the 'Log Poll and Wake-Up messages' selected leave the plug-in running for 24 hours. It will pick up each of your non-listening Z-Wave battery devices as they wake-up and configure a monitoring child for each. If you have any devices that have very long wake-up intervals set, greater than 24 hours, then it will take longer. This is very unlikely and if you do I would recommend changing their wake-up intervals to a shorter time period.

If you have other battery devices that aren't non-listening Z-Wave then you can configure the plug-in to monitor them as well but I suggest letting it automatically configure the non-listening ones first.

The 2 devices you show it monitoring you presumably selected from the optional 'Polling' and 'Activity' lists. I would deselect those from the lists and let the plug-in pick them up automatically. The guide has advice on how to set up monitoring for different types of battery devices but if in doubt post here and I will help. The Everspring Water Sensor is a non-listening device so will get picked up automatically. I'm not familiar with the Zooz motion sensor but I would have thought it would be a non-listening device, most Z-Wave sensors are. The odd thing is, if it is, it shouldn't have even be in the optional list for monitoring by polling. However, HS is sometimes confused about whether a device is non-listening or not particularly if it is included under USB power and then changed to battery powered.

Any suggestions? What I need is emails when a device (battery or not) hasn't been heard from in a while and needs rebooting/repair/battery change.
    The guide has examples of typical events for sending Pushover and Email messages when there is an alert.

I hope this helps and let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions.

Steve

Comment

Hi,

> Sorry that is a mistype in the guide. I've missed out 'Controller Management'. It should be:
      > ‘Plugins>Z-Wave>Controller Management>Z-Wave Networks and Options’

got it. I've checked it, but there's no "Save" or "Commit changes" button - when I check it, does it just take effect automatically?

> The 2 devices you show it monitoring you presumably selected from the optional 'Polling' and 'Activity' lists. I would deselect those from the lists and let the plug-in pick them up automatically.

nope, I hadn't had a chance to do anything yet. Where are these lists?

thank you!

Comment

Hi,
        > Sorry that is a mistype in the guide. I've missed out 'Controller Management'. It should be:
        > ‘Plugins>Z-Wave>Controller Management>Z-Wave Networks and Options’

got it. I've checked it, but there's no "Save" or "Commit changes" button - when I check it, does it just take effect automatically?
        That's the Z-Wave pi but as far as I know it takes effect straight away. If you don't see any monitoring devices being created after a few hours you may need to restart the Z-Wave pi.

> The 2 devices you show it monitoring you presumably selected from the optional 'Polling' and 'Activity' lists. I would deselect those from the lists and let the plug-in pick them up automatically.
        nope, I hadn't had a chance to do anything yet. Where are these lists?
        The lists are on the Battery Devices config page
        >SDJ-Health>Battery Devices

They are explained in the guide, page 6.

I can't explain how the devices could be created without selecting them, the pi certainly shouldn't do that automatically. According to your first screenshot they appear to have been created at least 14 days ago with one Polling and one Activity checking. It's a long time since I ran a start from scratch but perhaps I better run a test to make sure it isn't doing this on a first run. Nobody has reported it before.

I hope the above helps.

Steve

Comment

Yeah I certainly didn't select anything at the beginning - installed and there they were. Now, it's been 24 hours, and it's reporting 5 devices. I've got considerably more battery devices than that - door locks, other sensors, etc. - should I just wait? thanks!

Comment

Now, it's been 24 hours, and it's reporting 5 devices. I've got considerably more battery devices than that - door locks, other sensors, etc. - should I just wait? thanks!
            If you list out your battery devices that haven't been auto detected I will try and advise on the best way to set up monitoring. The pi has 4 methods of monitoring battery devices described on page 6 of the guide.

Locks aren't non-listening devices so don't wake-up at predefined intervals. They have to be ready to receive commands so are in a partial awake state. The best way to monitor them is by selecting them from the list to be monitored by Polling. The pi will then poll them at a configurable time interval to check that are still alive. They can alternatively be monitored by Activity Checking but as they may remain dormant for a long period, polling is better.

Some devices, e.g. Z-Smokes send a heartbeat at a regular interval. The pi can monitor the heartbeat so if you have any of these devices turn on the 'Monitor Heartbeats' feature and they will then be picked up automatically.

Some battery devices, e;g' Spirit thermostat radiator valves, use a method called FLiRS whereby they are constantly listening for commands. They, like locks, can be monitored by Polling or Activity checking. Activity checking is good for these if you have them setup to regularly transmit temperature readings.

Which ever method you use to monitor a device they all become part of the SDJ-Health group and alerts are channelled through the parent device so only one set of events is necessary and you don't have to change the events as you add, remove or reconfigure devices.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X