Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to monitor zigbee devices from Zigbee HS4 plugin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to monitor zigbee devices from Zigbee HS4 plugin ?

Can you monitor batterie on zigbee devices from Zigbee HS4 plugin ? I'm able to monitor Zigbee interface, but I only have this information:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Zigbee.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1414600

Originally posted by jeanfgodin View Post
    Can you monitor batterie on zigbee devices from Zigbee HS4 plugin ? I'm able to monitor Zigbee interface, but I only have this information:

Views:	438
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1414600
    The answer is, you probably can but I don't have any Zigbee devices so can't confirm definitely.

Your screenshot is of 'General Devices' health checking. Hopefully the 'Battery Devices' monitoring can be used on Zigbee devices as that is more useful for monitoring and alerting of battery devices.

If you can give me some information about how your Zigbee devices are represented in HS I will advise further. The information is better presented in HS3 so can you you display the HS3 device pages by entering '/deviceutility' after the address and port number in your browser, e.g. 'http://192.168.1.15:8080/deviceutility'
    • Presumably each device is represented by a Parent and a number of child devices (Parent and Features in HS4)?
    • Can you do a screenshot of a typical device group from the /deviceutility page?
    • Can you do a screenshot of the 'Advanced' tab of a typical battery child. Click on the name of the battery child and then select the 'Advanced' tab.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Comment

Zigbee devices wasn't created. The only information I get is general health. Here is zigbee config and report:

Name:	Zigbee config.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1415086

Name:	Full report.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1415087

Here is screenshot from Z-wave device working:

Name:	Z-Wave good health.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1415088

Name:	Z-Wave advanced.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1415089

Comment

Zigbee devices wasn't created. The only information I get is general health.
        Forget for now the information that SDJ-Health is giving you in the 'General Devices' section of the pi. That can all be useful but for monitoring and alerting for battery devices you want to use the 'Battery Devices' section of the pi. That is presuming we can make it work for zigbee devices.

The 'Battery Devices' section won't pick up your zigbee devices automatically you will need to configure it to do so. What I was really looking for, in my previous response, was information on how HomeSeer (HS) was representing your Zigbee devices. However, I can see from the information in the SDJ-Health report you posted that the devices each have a parent and a number of children. Also at least one of the children for each device is updating at short intervals. This should mean that using the 'Activity Monitoring' method in SDJ-Health should work well for these devices.

To figure out how to incorporate the devices I need to know what the zigbee plug-in has set the 'Device Type Internal' and 'Device Type (string)' for the battery child of a device. Can you post a screenshot of the Advanced Tab of the battery child for one of your zigbee devices. I can then help with configuring the plug-in to monitor them.

Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

Here is Advanced Tab of the battery child from Zigbee Samsung Water Leak Sensor:

Name:	Zigbee advanced.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1415134

Comment

Here is Advanced Tab of the battery child from Zigbee Samsung Water Leak Sensor:

Name:	Zigbee advanced.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1415134
            Ok, that's interesting. The Zigbee plug-in isn't bothering to set the Device Types.
            That makes it a little tricky for SDJ-Health to spot the battery devices automatically.

Anyway there is a work around that you can use. You will see that the 'Device Type (string)' is user editable. Click in the blank text box to the right of 'Device Type (string)' and enter Battery. You will need to that for all your Zigbee battery child devices.

Then:
            • Go to the 'PLUG-INS>SDJ-Health>Battery Devices' page.
            • Click on the drop down list called 'Select devices that require Activity Checking'
            • You should now find your Zigbee battery devices in the list so click the checkboxes to get a tick next to each one.
            • Make sure Monitor Activity is checked.
            • Set the check period, the default is 12 hours.
            After a couple of minutes you should find monitoring child devices created for each of your selected battery devices.

The pi will then check the parent and children of each of those devices at the time period you have set. As long as the last change time for at least one of the devices representing the physical device has updated in the time period then it will consider the device to be alive. If not it will raise an alert, but exactly when will be determined by the MissedWakeupFactor and Overrun settings.

Activity Checking works well as a monitoring method for devices that are frequently updating. If it is a device that sits there doing nothing for long periods then that won't work well. SDJ-Health can poll devices instead but that depends on whether the Zigbee plug-in responds to the HS poll request. Looking at your screen shot it says 'Support Status' False, so it isn't going to respond to polls. Some plug-ins update the last change time of the parent device each time they receive communication from the device so work well with Activity Checking even if a child device value hasn't changed. We will have to see over time how your Zigbee devices perform.

The pi will also monitor the battery levels and Low battery, High Discharge and Life alerts can also be raised depending on how you configure the plug-in. You can also set the plug-in to record the battery levels to a database so you get historical battery level readings for devices which can be very interesting over time.

What is the Zigbee plug-in showing the battery levels as? If not a scale of 0-100 then it is possible to configure SDJ-Health to apply a scaling factor.

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

Comment

Yeah, that's work !!! I'll do more test and let you know if I got some issue.

Name:	Zigbee good health.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1415162

Comment

All devices work fine except devices on Z-Net interface. I checked "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" on this interface but I get "Poll missed". Did you tested devices on HomeSeer Z-Net interface ?

Name:	Z-Net config.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1416850

Name:	znet device.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1416851

Comment

All devices work fine except devices on Z-Net interface. I checked "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" on this interface but I get "Poll missed". Did you tested devices on HomeSeer Z-Net interface ?
                  Yes, many users of SDJ-Health have single or multiple Z-Nets. The types of interfaces makes no difference to the operation of the pi.

The Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages check box requirement is for monitoring of Z-Wave non-listening devices, which you may or may not have. The device in your screen shot would appear to be a listening device as you are monitoring it by polling. If you can provide details of this device, and any other you are having problems with, I can try and advise.
                  What would be helpful is a screenshot of the node information for the device from the 'PLUG-INS>Z-Wave>Node Information' page.

Steve

Comment

The device is Z-Wave ecolink tilt sensor. I have both of them, one on SmartStick interface and work well.

SmartStick interface. Working:

Name:	SmartStick node.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1416880

Z-Net Interface. Not working:

Name:	Z-Net node.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1416881

And 2 more not working:

Name:	znet2.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1416882

Comment

The device is Z-Wave ecolink tilt sensor. I have both of them, one on SmartStick interface and work well.
                      OK, there is something odd here. These are all non-listening Z-Wave devices so they should be logging wake-up messages which the plug-in will detect and automatically configure monitoring devices. There shouldn't be any user input required for these to be setup and monitored.

Your screenshot in message #8 shows that particular device being monitored by polling which it should not do. It can't be monitored by polling because it doesn't support Status. Can you go to the 'SDJ-Health>Battery Devices' page and check that these devices are not selected in the 'Select devices that require polling' dropdown list. They shouldn't even be in the list! Let me know what you find here.

Also can you do a search in your log for messages containing "Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received", without the quotes. See if any of these are for the node numbers that aren't working. The beginning of the message will have the name of the interface and the end of the message will have the node number. Again let me know what you find.

I note that the neighbour counts for these devices are very low, 0 or 1. I guess that won't matter if they have direct contact with the Z-Net but the one with zero doesn't look to be connected at all, it has no last working route. Are they working ok?

Steve

Comment

Non-listening devices were checked in 'Devices Requiring Polling', I unchecked them. These devices were not checked in "Devices Requiring Activity Monitoring". I checked them and it's now working.

In the log, I get "Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received" on Z-Net interace after checking Non-listening devices in "Devices Requiring Activity Monitoring" list.

Device with neighbour counts 0 is connected and working.

It seems to fix my problems. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Non-listening devices were checked in 'Devices Requiring Polling', I unchecked them. These devices were not checked in "Devices Requiring Activity Monitoring". I checked them and it's now working.
                          You shouldn't check these non-listening devices in either list. The plug-in will detect them automatically from the wake-up messages in the log.
                          This is noted in the guide and the recommendation is to be patient. When you first install the plug-in it is best to check that the 'Log Poll and Wake-up Messages' is selected in the Z-Wave pi then wait until all non-listening devices have been detected and monitoring devices created. As your battery devices might be set with wake-up intervals of several hours it can take some time for the first wake-up to be detected and the monitoring devices configured.

The other monitoring methods (Heatbeat, Polling and Activity) are for listening devices and other technologies that aren't detected automatically.

Whilst you can select the non-listening devices to be monitored by Activity you should find that the plug-in will change them to be monitored by Wake-ups as soon as it detects a wake-up in the log. When things have settled down please can you post me a screenshot of you SDJ-Health monitoring devices so I can see how they are set up. List view or preferably HS3 view.

In the log, I get "Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received" on Z-Net interace after checking Non-listening devices in "Devices Requiring Activity Monitoring" list.
                          The log messages are from the Z-Wave plug-in they aren't affected by the settings in SDJ-Health. They will have been turned on by you selecting the 'Log Poll and Wake-up Messages' in the Z-Wave pi.

Steve

Comment

I set z-wave devices monitoring only by "Log Poll and Wake-up Messages". Zigbee devices are non-listening and I they are monitored by Activity.

Z-Wave monitored by "Log Poll and Wake-up Messages":

Name:	Z-Wave.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1417519

Zigbee monitored by activity:

Views:	273
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1417520

Comment

I set z-wave devices monitoring only by "Log Poll and Wake-up Messages". Zigbee devices are non-listening and I they are monitored by Activity.

Z-Wave monitored by "Log Poll and Wake-up Messages":
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Z-Wave.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	1417519

Zigbee monitored by activity:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Zigbee.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	1417520
                              Good to see you have it sorted👍

I'm sorry it gets a bit confusing because of the different technologies and the way they work differently. I'm guilty of referring to non-listening devices when I specifically mean Z-Wave non-listening devices🙄

I would be interested to know a bit more about how the Zigbee devices behave in HS4 so I can give better advice to others.
                              • Is it the Homeseer native Zigbee plug-in you are using in HS4?
                              • Are all of your Zigbee battery devices sensors with at least one child/feature that changes often such as temperature?
                              • If not does the last change time of the parent device update at a regular interval irrespective of whether a child/feature has updated?
                              Thanks,
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X