Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need for "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages"

Steve,
    I recently installed your "health" product to monitor my Z-wave battery devices. When I first turned it on and configured it, I inadvertently forgot to turn on "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" in the Z-wave PI. Your PI found all my devices and started to work, seemingly just fine. When I added a new Z-wave device to my system your PI did not pick it up after a few days so I reread the instructions and turned on "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" and the new device was now included in your PI.
    I have a pretty quiet LOG, normally, and usually scan it daily and now have lots of "battery reporting chatter". So I wondered, would your PI work if I now turned off "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" and turned it on only when adding devices?
    Thanks,
    BobSpen

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
    Steve,
    I recently installed your "health" product to monitor my Z-wave battery devices. When I first turned it on and configured it, I inadvertently forgot to turn on "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" in the Z-wave PI. Your PI found all my devices and started to work, seemingly just fine. When I added a new Z-wave device to my system your PI did not pick it up after a few days so I reread the instructions and turned on "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" and the new device was now included in your PI.
    I have a pretty quiet LOG, normally, and usually scan it daily and now have lots of "battery reporting chatter". So I wondered, would your PI work if I now turned off "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" and turned it on only when adding devices?
    Thanks,
    BobSpen

Hi BobSpen

The Z-Wave plug-in doesn't provide any way of another plug-in knowing when a non-listening device wakes up, other than by the log message. However, SDJ-Health does have 4 methods of monitoring whether a battery device is alive or dead. Whilst wake-up messages is the best for non listening devices, any devices can be monitored using the Activity Method, if you really don't want the log messages turned on. The Activity Method is fine for devices that are regularly active such as ones with a temperature sensor, but not so useful for devices that sit dormant for days, such as a leak detector.

Of course, even without log messages, SDJ-Health can still monitor and alert on battery levels, discharge rates, and battery life. It all depends on how you want to use the plug-in.

To monitor devices using the Activity Method you need to select the devices from the relevant list on the config page, they won't be detected automatically. The only devices detected automatically are non-listening Z-Wave devices (with messages turned on) and certain Z-Wave heartbeat devices, such as the Z-Combo. If you have devices that were auto detected you must have had log messages turned on at some point.

A slight aside but I wonder why you are seeing so much chatter in your log with Log Poll and Wake-up messages turned on. Maybe you have a large number of non-listening devices? Most devices only need wake-up periods set at a few hour intervals so you would not expect to see many messages. It is always a good idea to reduce unnecessary polling as it can cause delays on Z-Wave networks. So, if you are seeing lots of poll messages it might be worth looking at what is causing them and whether the polls are necessary. Remember the wake-ups and polling are still happening with the messages turned off, you just aren't seeing it.

I hope this helps but please feel free to ask more questions.

Steve

Comment

Steve,
      Thanks for your explanation. I do not poll any devices, just don't like to sift through a bunch of entries that do not indicate problems. Example below shows 8 entries for a simple battery report:
      Dec-03 1:33:41 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 60(Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root).
      Dec-03 1:33:35 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Device (Node 60) woke up and Poll Device for Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Battery was successfully sent.
      Dec-03 1:33:34 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root)
      Dec-03 1:33:34 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
      Dec-03 1:33:32 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 60(Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root).
      Dec-03 1:33:31 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Device (Node 60) woke up and Poll Device for Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Battery was successfully sent.
      Dec-03 1:33:31 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root)
      Dec-03 1:33:31 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
      I don't understand the apparent double reporting????? But even 4 entries is a lot.

BobSpen

Comment

Steve,
        Thanks for your explanation. I do not poll any devices, just don't like to sift through a bunch of entries that do not indicate problems. Example below shows 8 entries for a simple battery report:
        Dec-03 1:33:41 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 60(Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root).
        Dec-03 1:33:35 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Device (Node 60) woke up and Poll Device for Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Battery was successfully sent.
        Dec-03 1:33:34 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root)
        Dec-03 1:33:34 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
        Dec-03 1:33:32 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 60(Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root).
        Dec-03 1:33:31 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Device (Node 60) woke up and Poll Device for Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Battery was successfully sent.
        Dec-03 1:33:31 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root)
        Dec-03 1:33:31 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
        I don't understand the apparent double reporting????? But even 4 entries is a lot.

BobSpen
        Hi BobSpen

I think the 3 lines per wake-up is a minimum for the Z-Wave pi, with an extra line for each poll. In your case it would appear you have the battery device set to poll in the Z-Wave pi. This may or may not be necessary depending on the actual device. Most modern devices send battery readings when they change without being polled.

The double reporting probably indicates a poor signal or data collision so the device has resent the wake-up notification because it didn't receive an acknowledgement. If you are getting this repeatedly it may be worth investigating your network connectivity for the device.

The logging can reveal useful information but, as I said, you can opt for other ways of monitoring the devices in SDJ-Health if you want to turn the logging off. I have no control over the Z-Wave pi.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Hi BobSpen

I think the 3 lines per wake-up is a minimum for the Z-Wave pi, with an extra line for each poll. In your case it would appear you have the battery device set to poll in the Z-Wave pi. This may or may not be necessary depending on the actual device. Most modern devices send battery readings when they change without being polled.

The double reporting probably indicates a poor signal or data collision so the device has resent the wake-up notification because it didn't receive an acknowledgement. If you are getting this repeatedly it may be worth investigating your network connectivity for the device.

The logging can reveal useful information but, as I said, you can opt for other ways of monitoring the devices in SDJ-Health if you want to turn the logging off. I have no control over the Z-Wave pi.

Steve
          Steve,
          Looks like all my battery devices have the battery device on a 12 hr polling--set automatically when installed? I have change them all to no polling and that will help some.
          Thanks for your help and insights.
          BobSpen

Comment

Steve,
            Looks like all my battery devices have the battery device on a 12 hr polling--set automatically when installed? I have change them all to no polling and that will help some.
            Thanks for your help and insights.
            BobSpen
            BobSpen,
            You might want to check that the actual devices do report battery values without polling. You could just wait and see as SDJ-Health will notify you when the devices die, whether the battery is reported or not. That is provided it is configured to do that.
            Steve

Comment

OK, will do. Thanks for the heads-up.
              BobSpen

Comment

Working...
              X