Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sensor unplugged, but SDJ says it was successfully polled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensor unplugged, but SDJ says it was successfully polled?

1st floor Gym Gym motion/light sensor - Parent with 4 children
    Last Change Time yesterday at 8:33 AM - Period = 1 days 0 hours 10 mins
    Exceded inactivity period but successfully polled
    Says it was successfully polled, but I unplugged the sensor yesterday (> 24 hours ago), to make sure I get an alert if it goes down. Interestingly, the main page of HS3 was showing status RED until I tried to manually test connectivity (which resulted, correctly, in Failed to reach node 15 (1st floor Gym Gym motion/light sensor)) and now it's showing as "Unknown" on the main page, and now the failure report lists it correctly as being in error. How come it didn't find it in alert until I manually tried to test connectivity?

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post
    Last Change Time yesterday at 8:33 AM - Period = 1 days 0 hours 10 mins
    Exceded inactivity period but successfully polled
    Says it was successfully polled, but I unplugged the sensor yesterday (> 24 hours ago), to make sure I get an alert if it goes down. Interestingly, the main page of HS3 was showing status RED until I tried to manually test connectivity (which resulted, correctly, in Failed to reach node 15 (1st floor Gym Gym motion/light sensor)) and now it's showing as "Unknown" on the main page, and now the failure report lists it correctly as being in error. How come it didn't find it in alert until I manually tried to test connectivity?
    Hi mlevin77,

That's interesting you appear to have picked up a bug that didn't exist when I last tested!

I've now done some more testing and it appears that there is a bug in the Z-Wave plug-in whereby, if you poll the parent device it returns a valid result even if the device is unplugged. I'm sure that didn't use to be the case, but I can't say what Z-Wave pi version it might have been introduced. HS are bogged down with HS4 troubleshooting so the easiest thing is for me to modify my plug-in to poll one or more of the child devices rather than the parent. I'll let you know here when I have a beta version updated for testing.

This only effects the 'General Devices' section of the plug-in. Any polling carried out by the 'Battery Devices', which most people use, is carried out on the battery child.

Well spotted

Steve

Comment

Remarkable :-) I was sure I was doing something wrong. Thank you for your help on this! I'll be watching for word of the new version.

Comment

Remarkable :-) I was sure I was doing something wrong. Thank you for your help on this! I'll be watching for word of the new version.
        Unfortunately it seems this is a more serious bug in the Z-Wave pi than I at first thought.
        For testing I have been using a TKB TZ69E plugin switch, as it is easy to unplug.
        It has a Parent and 3 child devices:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TKB Switch.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1443175
        If I physically unplug it from the wall and then poll it from the Z-Wave pi (click on the Poll icon) it only throws an error for the Switch child, the Parent and the 2 Energy Sensors return a result without error. The results are all a value of zero but that is the correct value for #202.

Name:	Poll.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1443176
        I'm sure this is a new bug in the Z-Wave pi. I will report it to HS but I don't expect a rapid response or resolution.

Can you carry out this check on your sensor and see what result you get. That is, in HS3 display the group of devices as above and click on the Poll icon/button, second from the right at the top.

The only work around I can think of at the moment is to poll all the devices, Parent and Children, to check that they all respond without error, but I don't really want to do that as it increases the amount of polling significantly.

Steve

Comment

they all update right away and here's what I see (the device I'm referring to is in lines 1-5):

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 1.13.18 PM.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1443186

Comment

they all update right away and here's what I see (the device I'm referring to is in lines 1-5):

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 1.13.18 PM.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1443186
            So in your case none of the child devices returns an error when polled even though the physical device is powered down?
            Is that all the devices representing the physical device in the first 5 lines?
            The 6th line starting '3 @' does show 'Result not set by Plugin' although not actually an error. Is this a different device?

That makes checking whether a powered device is alive, that doesn't show regular activity, somewhat difficult

Steve
            ​​

Comment

ok hold on, sorry, you wanted the device unplugged, I forgot about that. (and "3" is the same device)
              Here it is when unplugged:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 2.08.02 PM.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1443194

lines 1-5 are the device I unplugged. Looks like only the children on 1 and 2 are showing the fact that it's off the network!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Unfortunately it seems this is a more serious bug in the Z-Wave pi than I at first thought.

The only work around I can think of at the moment is to poll all the devices, Parent and Children, to check that they all respond without error, but I don't really want to do that as it increases the amount of polling significantly.
                I set up a fresh install of HS3 with a new Z-Wave network so I could do some more comprehensive testing of the Z-Wave pi polling various devices in powered and unpowered states.

Firstly my findings show that this doesn't impact on the Battery Devices section of SDJ-Health, which is what most people use. For Battery devices that are 'listening', such as locks, if you choose to test by polling the pi polls the battery child. My testing shows that the Z-Wave pi does correctly return 'unsuccessful' for the battery child on the battery devices I tested with the batteries removed.

However, for powered devices the Z-Wave pi incorrectly returns 'successful' for an unplugged device for the Parent and many of the Child devices. It does correctly return 'unsuccessful' for some child devices such as switches. I haven't yet been able to determine the exact type of devices for which it responds correctly.

I will report this to Homeseer but I don't expect it will get looked at any time soon so I am working at a work round.

What I have found is, for an unplugged powered device, if you poll the parent you get an instant incorrect 'successful' response but for the child devices the incorrect 'successful' response is not returned until the Z-Wave 'Send Timeout' period is reached. This is a default of 4 seconds but can be edited by the user. So the Z-Wave pi waits for the Time Out period and then returns 'successful' even though it hasn't got a valid response for most child devices. Not good.

What I am looking at doing is timing the polls and if they reach the Timeout, I will class that as a fail even though the Z-Wave PluginFunction result is 'success'. As the user can change the default I will read the Z-Wave 'Send Timeout' from their Z-Wave.ini file. This should generally work ok.

When I have a beta for testing I will update this thread.

Steve

Comment

I set up a fresh install of HS3 with a new Z-Wave network so I could do some more comprehensive testing of the Z-Wave pi polling various devices in powered and unpowered states.

Firstly my findings show that this doesn't impact on the Battery Devices section of SDJ-Health, which is what most people use. For Battery devices that are 'listening', such as locks, if you choose to test by polling the pi polls the battery child. My testing shows that the Z-Wave pi does correctly return 'unsuccessful' for the battery child on the battery devices I tested with the batteries removed.

However, for powered devices the Z-Wave pi incorrectly returns 'successful' for an unplugged device for the Parent and many of the Child devices. It does correctly return 'unsuccessful' for some child devices such as switches. I haven't yet been able to determine the exact type of devices for which it responds correctly.

I will report this to Homeseer but I don't expect it will get looked at any time soon so I am working at a work round.

What I have found is, for an unplugged powered device, if you poll the parent you get an instant incorrect 'successful' response but for the child devices the incorrect 'successful' response is not returned until the Z-Wave 'Send Timeout' period is reached. This is a default of 4 seconds but can be edited by the user. So the Z-Wave pi waits for the Time Out period and then returns 'successful' even though it hasn't got a valid response for most child devices. Not good.

What I am looking at doing is timing the polls and if they reach the Timeout, I will class that as a fail even though the Z-Wave PluginFunction result is 'success'. As the user can change the default I will read the Z-Wave 'Send Timeout' from their Z-Wave.ini file. This should generally work ok.

When I have a beta for testing I will update this thread.

Steve
                  mlevin77

I have posted an updated version 3.0.8.8 as a beta which has the work round for the Z-Wave poll bug. Please could you give it a try, testing as you did previously, and see if it works for you this time?

Thanks,
                  Steve

Comment

mlevin77

I have posted an updated version 3.0.8.8 as a beta which has the work round for the Z-Wave poll bug. Please could you give it a try, testing as you did previously, and see if it works for you this time?

Thanks,
                    Steve
                    sorry, where do I get the beta? I only know how to install things when they appear on the plug-in page as new versions.

Comment

sorry, where do I get the beta? I only know how to install things when they appear on the plug-in page as new versions.
                      In HS3 if you go to Add Plug-ins and at the bottom of the page there is a section for Beta versions.
                      Steve

Comment

Thanks. I just ran it, a few things I don't understand. First, it just alerted me to this:
                        Garage Garage HomeSeer Tech Notification Sensor Node 8 Root - Parent with 4 children
                        Last Change Time 11/17/2020 at 10:18 AM - Period = 42 days 4 hours 0 mins
                        Exceded inactivity period and failed poll
                        which I confirm is true on the devices page:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.23.37 PM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	1443927
                        I guess it's working to let me know, what I've never noticed, that the child nodes claim to have a last update on 11/17, but this makes no sense as the motion detector there is working perfectly and was triggered plenty in the last couple of days. What does this mean?

Comment

Also:
                          Last Change Time today at 2:17 PM - Period = 0 mins 48 secs
                          Passed activity scan but Invalid State
                          this can't be right because that sensor is unplugged (I unplugged it several days ago when we first started to debug this). here's what the devices page shows:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.34.04 PM.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1443930
                          the color control is from me trying to change the color just to see what will happen (I clicked the color and of course nothing happened as the thing is unplugged, but I don't know why it updated the access time?), and the report says it passed the activity scan, probably from this bug in HS reporting an updated time when nothing successfully happened? The children, having been inactive since 12/26, didn't trigger it as a fault? I assume at least the change of temp or light levels, which happens many times per day, should trigger a problem if the date is > 24 hours?

Comment

Thanks. I just ran it, a few things I don't understand. First, it just alerted me to this:
                            Garage Garage HomeSeer Tech Notification Sensor Node 8 Root - Parent with 4 children
                            Last Change Time 11/17/2020 at 10:18 AM - Period = 42 days 4 hours 0 mins
                            Exceded inactivity period and failed poll
                            which I confirm is true on the devices page:
                            Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.23.37 PM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	1443927
                            I guess it's working to let me know, what I've never noticed, that the child nodes claim to have a last update on 11/17, but this makes no sense as the motion detector there is working perfectly and was triggered plenty in the last couple of days. What does this mean?
                            What was the time of the scan on this report?

Steve

Comment

Also:
                              Last Change Time today at 2:17 PM - Period = 0 mins 48 secs
                              Passed activity scan but Invalid State
                              this can't be right because that sensor is unplugged (I unplugged it several days ago when we first started to debug this). here's what the devices page shows:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.34.04 PM.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1443930
                              the color control is from me trying to change the color just to see what will happen (I clicked the color and of course nothing happened as the thing is unplugged, but I don't know why it updated the access time?), and the report says it passed the activity scan, probably from this bug in HS reporting an updated time when nothing successfully happened? The children, having been inactive since 12/26, didn't trigger it as a fault? I assume at least the change of temp or light levels, which happens many times per day, should trigger a problem if the date is > 24 hours?
                              Are you saying that this device is unplugged yet HS3 updates the Last Change Time of the Color control? That sounds like a bug!

As long as one devices representing a physical device has updated it shouldn't trigger an alert.

By the way what exactly is this device? Can you give me the model number?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X