Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motion Sensor Battery Died - No Notification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor Battery Died - No Notification?

Recently installed the plugin. One of my motion sensor stopped working yesterday. It was being monitored I thought, but no notifications were sent. Here is a screen shot of an event on battery health. Please let me know if it was configured correctly, or if there's any other settings I may be missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-health-1.png
Views:	222
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1501525

I think this should be the way to build an event, if you would please critique . . . the PI settings have the default Monitor Battery Level of 20%.

Name:	battery-health-2.png
Views:	201
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1501530

Comment

Originally posted by DLONG2 View Post
      I think this should be the way to build an event, if you would please critique . . . the PI settings have the default Monitor Battery Level of 20%.

Name:	battery-health-2.png
Views:	201
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1501530
      Hi,
      Page 6 of the guide shows an example of 2 events which are all that are needed to trigger alerts and reports via Pushover and email to cover all battery devices that you have monitored by SDJ-Health. Take a look at the guide but if it is unclear post back and I will help for any specific requiements.
      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...j/104921-guide

Steve
      ​​​

Comment

So when I build an event like this:

IF . . . "Battery Health SDJ-Health Battery Health Root was set and has a value that is less than Low Battery Alert"

. . . how does this event alert me to a particlar monitored sensor's battery level?

Comment

So when I build an event like this:

IF . . . "Battery Health SDJ-Health Battery Health Root was set and has a value that is less than Low Battery Alert"

. . . how does this event alert me to a particlar monitored sensor's battery level?
          Hi,

The SDJ-Health Battery Root device is set each time any of the monitored devices raises an alert. The value is set to represent the type of alert and the Status String is set to show, amongst other things, the type of alert and which device raised it. So, the value being set can be used to trigger an event and the Status String can be used in reports or push alerts, from the event action, to show this information.

There are 4 types of alert as explained in the guide:
          • Missed Wake-Up
          • Battery Level
          • Battery Discharge Rate
          • Battery Life
          Missed Wake-up (Dead Device) basically covers all checks that detect whether the battery device is alive and reporting which depend on the type of devices and how you have configured the plug-in. That includes wake-up monitoring for non-listening device, heartbeat monitoring, polling and activity monitoring.

There is a hierarchy to the alerts with Missed wake-up being the most significant and Battery Life being the least significant. The values that the root device can be set to are:
          • 0 - Missed Wake-up Alert
          • 1 - Low Battery Alert
          • 2 - High Discharge Alert
          • 3 - Battery Life Alert
          There are then other values that represent other states of the plug-in and monitored devices i.e.:
          • 50 - Waiting
          • 100 - Healthy
          As well as Control values which are used to Control the form of the Status String reporting for example, i.e.:
          • 1000 - Status (Report shows only a summary of the status of the monitored devices)
          • 1001 - Short ( As above plus details of any monitored devices that are currently in an alert status )
          • 1002 - Full (A summary together with details of all monitored devices )
          • 1010 - Refresh
          • 1011 - Retrigger
          The trigger you have suggested, ' ... less than Low Battery Alert', would only trigger for Missed Wake-ups, it wouldn't trigger for a low battery alert. It is a perfectly valid trigger, and might be what you want, but the trigger in the example event in the guide, '...in range of Missed Wake-up Alert to Battery Life Alert', will trigger on any of the 4 types of alert. Another common trigger to use is '.. set to Healthy' which is useful to send you a message when all devices have returned to Healthy after you have dealt with a device that previously failed.

Whatever trigger you use to fire an event you use the Status String of the root device to show what the alert was and which device triggered it. This is achieved by using the HS replacement variable $$DTR:1597: Just replace 1597 with the Ref ID of the actual SDJ-Health Root device in your system.

The example in the guide splits things into two events, but it is only an example, there are lots of ways of doing this. When an alert occurs the example sends an Pushover message with the summary and which device triggered the alert, followed by an email with a full report. It is split into two events so that if more than one alert occurs at the same time you actually get a series of Pushover messages, one for each faulting device, followed by only one emailed full report.

Of course, the plug-in can be configured in many ways, both at a global level and at an individual device level, so the alerts and reports you get can be tailored to your own needs. The defaults settings are intended to give you the normally most useful results.

I hope this helps but if I can be more specific please ask further.

Steve

Comment

Thanks, Steve. So in my case if all I am interested in is an alert whenever any of my 6 battery devices has a level below 20%, I need to acquire the Ref ID of the SDJ-Health Root device for the PushOver body message. Is the needed Ref ID associated with "Battery Health SDJ-Health Battery Health Root" where within Status/Graphics/Advanced Information, there's an ID number (in my case 824)?

In HS4, I am not understanding how to build an event using a range as illustrated in the guide. When I use a manual trigger, I cannot find how to set the health root to "full" and the Pushover body only shows the coded string ("$$DTR:824")

Update: I was able to set the Health Root to "full", but the message still shows no data . . .

Name:	battery-health-3.png
Views:	212
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1502092

And the initial event has a greater than and less than, rather than a range?

Name:	battery-health-4.png
Views:	155
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1502093

Comment

Thanks, Steve. So in my case if all I am interested in is an alert whenever any of my 6 battery devices has a level below 20%, I need to acquire the Ref ID of the SDJ-Health Root device for the PushOver body message. Is the needed Ref ID associated with "Battery Health SDJ-Health Battery Health Root" where within Status/Graphics/Advanced Information, there's an ID number (in my case 824)?

In HS4, I am not understanding how to build an event using a range as illustrated in the guide. When I use a manual trigger, I cannot find how to set the health root to "full" and the Pushover body only shows the coded string ("$$DTR:824")

Update: I was able to set the Health Root to "full", but the message still shows no data . . .
              ]
              Hi,

Firstly I'll just say that by limiting your alerts to battery level your missing out on the main advantage of the plug-in which is to alert when devices die even if they haven't reported a low battery reading. It depends on what devices you have, but in my experience most are poor at reporting battery levels. However, that's up to you and is still a perfectly good use of the plug-in.

HS4 can show the RefID's of devices if you go to 'Setup>Custom' and check 'Show Device Ref on Status Page'. Alternatively to find the RefID of the SDJ-Health Root Device click on the device then select 'Status/Graphis' in HS4 it then shows a list of the the root and all child devices so click on the root device, then scroll down and under 'Advanced Information' you will find the ID. It sound like you found that

In HS4 triggers for ranges have to use values where as in HS3 you could use the status, it amounts to the same thing.

To select an event Trigger based on a range, as per the example in the guide:
              • Select If
              • Select 'A Devices Value is...
              • Select 'This Device Had its Value Set To...'
              • Select the 'SDJ-Health-SDJ-Health-Battery Health Root'
              • Select 'a custom value or value range of'
              • Set the Start Value and the End Value. (to match the example in the guide you would use 0 to 3)
              • Alternatively the same thing would be achieved by selecting 'This Device had its Value Set and is Less Than...'
              • 'Waiting'

However, if you only want to trigger on the Low Battery Alert then:
              • Select If
              • Select 'A Devices Value is...
              • Select 'This Device Had its Value Set To...'
              • Select the 'SDJ-Health-SDJ-Health-Battery Health Root'
              • Select 'Low Battery Alert'
              The reason you have a blank message is that you are missing a colon from the replacement variable, i.e. it should be
              $$DTR:824:
              not
              $$DTR:824

For details on replacement variables refer to the HS4 help file:
              https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...ment+Variables

I hope that helps.

Steve

Comment

Excellent, thanks for your help! The full report now comes via the manual trigger. When I get more time I'll craft the event for the full range of alerts, as I want to take advantage of its full potential.

Comment

I am getting the notifications now just fine. However, how do I extend the "Last Good Check" or "Wake-Up Missed" timer so that I don't get an alert every day? I have a side gate with a battery operated door/window sensor, and the gate doesn't get opened every day.

Comment

I am getting the notifications now just fine. However, how do I extend the "Last Good Check" or "Wake-Up Missed" timer so that I don't get an alert every day? I have a side gate with a battery operated door/window sensor, and the gate doesn't get opened every day.
                    What are the details of the device and what monitoring method is being used?

Steve

Comment

I'm just using the defaults for monitoring from however the initial install left it, and I used your events example for alerting to any of the categories. But the alert for "Last Good Check" or "Wake-Up Missed" is issued apparently after a day of no activity (open or close) on a HomeSeer Door/Window sensor. What device details would you need? I see that on this particular Node2, the polling is disabled, and the "Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only" is checked.

Comment

I'm just using the defaults for monitoring from however the initial install left it, and I used your events example for alerting to any of the categories. But the alert for "Last Good Check" or "Wake-Up Missed" is issued apparently after a day of no activity (open or close) on a HomeSeer Door/Window sensor. What device details would you need? I see that on this particular Node2, the polling is disabled, and the "Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only" is checked.
                        As far as I am aware Homeseer Door/Window sensors are non-listening devices so if everything is set up to the defaults with no manual intervention it should be being monitored by wake-up in the log. These don't have anything to do with activity so should be happening even if the device sits dormant for weeks on end. If the device was being monitored by Activity then you would see what you are reporting, but that wouldn't be the way to have it set up.

Please can you post the following screen shots which should help me identify what is going on:
                        • Details of the device (Node 2) from the Z-Wave Node Information page.
                        • Details of the monitoring for the device. Click on the SDJ-Health monitoring child for the device, then select the SDJ-Health tab, in HS4 you then have to click the 'Manage' button. Post a screenshot of the page of settings.
                        Thanks,
                        Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Here's the screenshots. Sorry for the delay in sending.

Name:	SDJ_DLONG2-1.png
Views:	169
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	1503801Click image for larger version

Name:	SDJ_DLONG2-2.png
Views:	154
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	1503802

Comment

Hi Steve,

Here's the screenshots. Sorry for the delay in sending.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	SDJ_DLONG2-1.png Views:	0 Size:	186.8 KB ID:	1503801Click image for larger version  Name:	SDJ_DLONG2-2.png Views:	0 Size:	502.3 KB ID:	1503802
                            Hi, no problem for the delay.

What this shows is that the device is being monitored by activity which is why you are getting the alerts. I suspect you haven't checked the 'Log poll and wake-up messages' in the Z-Wave plug-in. See the important note in section 4.1 of the guide. With this checked non-listening devices are detected automatically the first time they wake-up. Once monitored by wake-ups it doesn't require any activity to know whether the device is still alive. You should only manually select devices to be monitored by polling or activity If they can't be monitored by wake-ups.

If you now check the above option then the first time the device wakes up the plug-in should convert the monitoring method to Wake-ups. If this hasn't happened after 24 hours search your log for Z-Wave wake-up messages and if there aren't any them something is wrong.

Let me know how you get on.

​​​​​​​Steve

Comment

I checked the "Log poll and wake-up messages" option in the Z-wave plug-in late yesterday. In the logs I can see the "Wake-up Notification Processing for Node x" entries which just started late yesterday. As an example, though, at 9:35 PM, the log shows wake up processing on Node 18, and an immediate "wake up notification received for Node 18". But the event got triggered at 6:07 AM today where Node 18 had the 'Last Wake 10/23/2021 9:35 PM' along with 2 other nodes which the logs show that wake-up notifications had been received earlier. I am more interested in battery levels, and am wondering how to avoid these too-frequent wake up alerts. Thanks Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X