Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Device "Last Change Time" Not Updating

Steve,
    All my battery devices are reporting (wakeup) just fine. But when I look at the battery device's "Last Change" about half of my devices have not changed in several months. I have the "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:" unchecked on both the battery device and the root device. Don't all battery device report battery level when waking up?

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
    Steve,
    All my battery devices are reporting (wakeup) just fine. But when I look at the battery device's "Last Change" about half of my devices have not changed in several months. I have the "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:" unchecked on both the battery device and the root device. Don't all battery device report battery level when waking up?
    Different devices report battery in various ways.

Old devices required to be polled to retrieve the battery readings so you will find that HomeSeer Z-Wave tends to set up a recurring poll on the battery child at 12 hour intervals. Have a look at how polling is set up in the Z-Wave pi. Usually this isn't necessary so many will turn it off to reduce network traffic and increase battery life. the polls are queued until the device wakes-up. If you look in the log when a device wakes you will see any polling messages from the Z-Wave pi and whether they were successful.

Most modern devices send out their battery level when it has changed by a certain amount, some by 1%, but most by 5% or more. They don't need to be polled and may or may not respond to a poll. It may be many months between readings, if the battery life is good. If you miss the reading, because HS is down or busy at the time, it may be a long time before it sends another one.

Lots of devices are fairly poor at battery reporting and tend to report 100% for many months and then rapidly drop just before failing. The level at which they fail is also very inconsistent. Some devices never seem to report their battery level although it is difficult to know whether this is a device or HS issue. Some devices can be configured to report battery level in different ways.

​​​​​​I have no definitive answer to your comment but at least SDJ-Health will monitor the wake-ups and alert you when the devices die irrespective of their battery reporting peculiarities.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the info-I always assumed the wakeup communication included a battery report.

If there is not a battery report at wakeup and if I were to put polling on the battery device, that would be an additional communication exchange at wake-up and also increase battery exhaustion significantly on low activity devices? So maybe not a good idea to add polling?

My Aeotec D/W Sensor 7 devices(very small-1/2 AA battery) are low activity devices (on doors we rarely use) and I consistently get 7-8 months per battery which disappoints.

Comment

Thanks for the info-I always assumed the wakeup communication included a battery report.
        Only if the device decides to send one, or If the controller requests one. All devices normally do at wake-up is say 'hi I'm here do you want anything from me?' and then go back to sleep unless the controller responds asking for some information.

If there is not a battery report at wakeup and if I were to put polling on the battery device, that would be an additional communication exchange at wake-up and also increase battery exhaustion significantly on low activity devices? So maybe not a good idea to add polling?
        If the device doesn't need to be polled, most modern devices don't, then it is optional whether you do or don't. It will increase battery discharge but once every 12 hours, or whatever the wake-up period is set to, may not be significant, it depends on the device. You will probably find that the Z-Wave pi has set polling on the battery child every 12 hours as I think that is the default. Have a look at the Z-Wave Tab of the battery child. The only way to know how significant is to experiment with and without, but it is a long term experiment. The database logging feature of SDJ-Health is useful for looking back to see how a device performed.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X