Water Sensors Heartbeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Sensors Heartbeat

I have several Insteon water sensors that are working in HS4, but I wait to get message sent to me if the heartbeat they send out every 24 hours is not heard.
    Can SDJ monitor this and trigger an event?
    Thanks

Originally posted by Larrynau@Cox.net View Post
    I have several Insteon water sensors that are working in HS4, but I wait to get message sent to me if the heartbeat they send out every 24 hours is not heard.
    Can SDJ monitor this and trigger an event?
    Thanks
    Hi

It should be able to, but I don't know any details of these devices and how they are represented in HS, so I will need some information to advise how to do it.

Are you on HS3 or HS4?

I presume that each physical device is represented by a group of devices with a Parent/Root and several Child/Features? Please can you post a screen shot of a typical device group for one of these devices. If HS4 use List View not Grid View.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the reply
      I am using HS4
      Click image for larger version

Name:	water sensors.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1517346

Comment

Thanks for the reply
        I am using HS4
        Click image for larger version  Name:	water sensors.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	1517346
        OK, so they don't have a battery device in HS?
        That doesn't matter as you can still monitor them to detect when they die, using Activity Monitoring.

As it doesn't have a battery feature then you will need to adjust things slightly to be able to monitor them.

Does the Heartbeat feature LastChangeTime update every 24 hours on the Heartbeat? The top one looks like it hasn't updated for a few days.

Steve

Comment

The "This device has been/for at least" event setting in HS4 deactivated in HS4. In the past, I could have an event that, if a heartbeat was not heard, then triggered an event.

Comment

Thanks for pointing out that 2 of the water sensors missed heartbeats in the past 24 hours. This is why I need some way to monitor them.

Comment

The "This device has been/for at least" event setting in HS4 deactivated in HS4. In the past, I could have an event that, if a heartbeat was not heard, then triggered an event.
              I think you are referring to the event 'Trigger' that has been deprecated in HS4. That Trigger was essentially, and functionally identical to, the Trigger (IF) and Condition (AND IF) as below:

IF 'The event will trigger every 1 second'
              AND IF 'This device has been for at least..."

So you can still construct events in HS4 equivalent to what you were using in HS3. Of course, as soon as you do that you will realise that triggering every second, as you were in HS3, is unnecessary and change the Trigger to every 10 minutes, hour, or whatever is appropriate to the particular event.

Alternatively I can guide you through setting these up to be monitored in SDJ-Health, which would be worthwhile if you are monitoring other battery devices as well and would like a single point of alerts for your devices.

Steve

Comment

Currently, I have 11 water sensors, 5 door locks, and 3 smoke detectors that run on batteries.
                My goal is to have any battery devices send me a notification when a battery is low or dead.
                Thanks

Comment

Currently, I have 11 water sensors, 5 door locks, and 3 smoke detectors that run on batteries.
                  My goal is to have any battery devices send me a notification when a battery is low or dead.
                  Thanks
                  If they are Z-Wave non-listening devices then SDJ-Health can detect them automatically and monitoring will be configured to default settings. Other types and technologies require user input to set up the monitoring in SDJ-Health, but it is usually possible. People are using the plug-in to monitor all sorts of devices. I can help with setting up for particular devices but the range is huge so I need specific details of the devices, technology (plug-in) and how they are represented in HomeSeer to give specific advice over and above that given in the User Guide.

Steve

Comment

My devices are Insteon leak sensors (2852-222), Z-wave Schlage door locks, and Z-wave smoke detectors

Comment

My devices are Insteon leak sensors (2852-222), Z-wave Schlage door locks, and Z-wave smoke detectors
                      No offence intended, but I can see you believe in brief responses This isn't great when you are asking for help.

I'll assume you are not aware of the huge range of devices and how the way they interact with HomeSeer can be very different. Even different versions of the same device from a manufacturer can change quite fundamental things. Providing as much information as possible is vital if you expect useful responses.

I suppose my first question should be, and again no offence intended but, have you read the User Guide for the plug-in?
                      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...j/104921-guide

There is a wealth of information in the guide and reading it you will at least gain a basic knowledge of what the plug-in does and the methods it uses. I have put years of work into developing this plug-in, which I give for free. It has become very complex over time, to make it as universal as possible and accommodate user requests, but that can make it a little confusing at first. It is used by lots of people but it might not be for you, so start with the guide.

I'll tackle your list backwards as I know little about Insteon devices and, from your responses above, yours aren't actually providing any battery information so are less easy to monitor. I know from past discussions with users of SDJ-Health that some Insteon devices do provide battery information and are successfully monitored.

Z-Wave Smoke Sensors:
                      There are lots of different ones and they work in different ways. I have Fibaro Smoke Detectors. These are typical Z-Wave non-listening devices and therefore the wake-ups are picked up automatically by the plug-in and monitored. If your smoke sensors haven't automatically been recognized then they probably work in a different way.
                      1st Generation Z-Smokes, and some others, don't wake-up in the same way but have a heartbeat that the plug-in can detect. They can be picked up and monitored automatically by the plug-in if you select MonitorHeartbeats in the settings. However, this doesn't work for later generations of Z-Smokes which need to be monitored using 'Activity Monitoring'.
                      Perhaps you can give details of your smoke detectors and how they are represented in HomeSeer.

Z-Wave Door Locks:
                      I don't know the specifics of your Schlarge Door Locks but most Z-Wave locks work the same way. By their nature they can't be non-listening devices that wake-up only periodically, as they need to respond instantly to commands. They use a system called Beaming which means that effectively they appear to HomeSeer as if they are always awake. They can be monitored by 'Polling' or 'Activity' the choice is yours. The best way is to use polling, They should be detected by the plug-in and show up in the list of 'Devices that require polling' on the plug-in's 'Battery Settings' page. Select them in this list and the plug-in will detect them and set up monitoring features.
                      If they don't appear in the list then it probably means the 'Device Type String' for the battery feature hasn't been set correctly. If this is the case let me know and I will show you what to do to get them detected.

Insteon Leak Sensors:
                      I'll advise on these once your Z-Wave devices are sorted.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
                        My main objective is to have my Insteon leak sensors notify me if they are not working.
                        The leak sensors currently send out a heartbeat every 24 hours, and my goal is to have an email sent telling me that no heartbeat has not been heard in the past 25 hours.
                        Thanks again

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
                          My main objective is to have my Insteon leak sensors notify me if they are not working.
                          The leak sensors currently send out a heartbeat every 24 hours, and my goal is to have an email sent telling me that no heartbeat has not been heard in the past 25 hours.
                          Thanks again
                          Did you note my response in message #7 to your message #5? If that is all you want to do then why not do it with events as you apparently were in HS3?

Steve

Comment

I've never used HS3
                            I've migrated from ISY and I am new to HS. This has been a big learning curve on how to use all the figures in HS4.
                            Your insights and are appreciated.

Comment

I've never used HS3
                              I've migrated from ISY and I am new to HS. This has been a big learning curve on how to use all the figures in HS4.
                              Your insights and are appreciated.
                              I presumed from your previous message that you had been doing this with events:

That was why I gave you an example of how to construct the Trigger/Condition you implied you had previously used but thought was now missing.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X