Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Reporting Issue with HS-MS100 Motion Sensors

Steve,
    I have 3 HS-MS100 motion sensors that I have successfully used for several years. I use your "Health" PI and have been replacing batteries when they miss a report, Lately I noticed the battery level was not changing and noticed the Battery Device for each were not changing(last update "date"). The devices all have a reporting interval of 12 hrs. So I concluded they probably needed a polling so I setup a 15 hour polling of the root device. Now I get the following (example of one) in the LOG every 12 hours for each of the three:
    Aug-18 5:01:21 PM Z-Wave Warning rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root) ISSUE: Too soon. Last wake-up was 6000 ms ago - EXITING.
    Aug-18 5:01:21 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 60(Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root).
    Aug-18 5:01:21 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Device (Node 60) woke up and Poll Device for Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root was successfully sent.
    Aug-18 5:01:18 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
    Aug-18 5:01:15 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
    Aug-18 5:01:09 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root)
    Aug-18 5:01:09 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
    Any clue as to what is going on(the Last Wakeup-too soon seems to very between 2 and 6 seconds)? I'm Win 10 on HS3.
    Thanks for looking,
    BobSpen

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
    Steve,
    I have 3 HS-MS100 motion sensors that I have successfully used for several years. I use your "Health" PI and have been replacing batteries when they miss a report, Lately I noticed the battery level was not changing and noticed the Battery Device for each were not changing(last update "date"). The devices all have a reporting interval of 12 hrs. So I concluded they probably needed a polling so I setup a 15 hour polling of the root device. Now I get the following (example of one) in the LOG every 12 hours for each of the three:
    Aug-18 5:01:21 PM Z-Wave Warning rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root) ISSUE: Too soon. Last wake-up was 6000 ms ago - EXITING.
    Aug-18 5:01:21 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 60(Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root).
    Aug-18 5:01:21 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Device (Node 60) woke up and Poll Device for Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root was successfully sent.
    Aug-18 5:01:18 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
    Aug-18 5:01:15 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
    Aug-18 5:01:09 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 60 (Node 60 Z-Wave GuestBathMotion-Root)
    Aug-18 5:01:09 PM Z-Wave rgsV1Z-net: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 60
    Any clue as to what is going on(the Last Wakeup-too soon seems to very between 2 and 6 seconds)? I'm Win 10 on HS3.
    Thanks for looking,
    BobSpen
    Hi BobSpen

I'm not familiar with the MS100 but if it is the + model then I doubt it requires polling for the battery level. That said there is no harm in doing it. However, when you set up automatic polling in the Z-Wave PI make sure you are only polling the battery child, not the root. If you poll the Root HS polls all the children as well which likely overwhelms the device in its short wake-up. If the Wake-up interval of the device is 12 hours, then it is normal to set the poll to 12 hours, or a few seconds less, so there is always a poll queued when the device wakes.

All that aside repeated Z-Wave messages in a short period of time tends to indicate communication problems. It doesn't necessarily mean commands aren't getting through but if acknowledgements aren't received then HS and devices often repeat commands.

If you uncheck the 'Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only' for the battery child you should be able to see if it is updating with the same value or not updating at all.

The Z-Wave PI and some devices can be finicky with battery level reporting. What does the History of battery levels look like in SDJHealth for these devices? That should give you some clues as to how they have been reporting over time.

Just as a side note all the above is related to the Z-Wave PI, rather than SDJHealth, so I am only guessing based on past experience😊

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

Comment

Steve,
      Thanks for the advise. Removing the polling from the "root" and adding it to the "battery child" seems to have eliminated the issue.
      I'm a bit surprised that the "root" polling caused a traffic issue since there is only 2 non-root devices(battery and motion)?
      BobSpen

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
        Steve,
        Thanks for the advise. Removing the polling from the "root" and adding it to the "battery child" seems to have eliminated the issue.
        I'm a bit surprised that the "root" polling caused a traffic issue since there is only 2 non-root devices(battery and motion)?
        BobSpen
        It doesn’t take much polling to cause issues with battery devices. I used to have some old z-wave radiator valves which required polling for all their features. It was a nightmare of convoluted events to avoid polling more than two attributes at any wake-up or they just went back to sleep with a finger in the air. It’s a relief to have ditched those🙂

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X