Suggestion: Battery Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion: Battery Type

Hey Steve, hope all is well. While doing my usual home automation research on the Interwebz, came across the following feature that for me is useful and seems like wouldn't be too hard to add.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	82
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1618003

Seems like you could add another field to the health monitoring device for "battery type" and qty, then display it under battery level:

Views:	70
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1618004

For me, it would help to know if I need to place an order for specialized batteries because they will die soon.

Thoughts?​

Interesting idea, although how would you envision the battery types get populated?

Another way to get a similar result: I add the battery type/qty to the battery feature name anytime I add a new battery device. That way the existing SDJ-Health notifications and reports include the info along with the device name.

Views:	77
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1618013

Views:	65
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1618014​​
    -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
      Hey Steve, hope all is well. While doing my usual home automation research on the Interwebz, came across the following feature that for me is useful and seems like wouldn't be too hard to add.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	10 Size:	141.0 KB ID:	1618003

Seems like you could add another field to the health monitoring device for "battery type" and qty, then display it under battery level:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	9 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	1618004

For me, it would help to know if I need to place an order for specialized batteries because they will die soon.

Thoughts?​
      An interesting idea.

Are you suggesting battery type information that the user would need to manually enter for each monitored device or information automatically retrieved from some database?

If the former, I’m not sure many would be bothered to fill in the information. If the latter, it requires somebody to create and maintain a database, unless you are aware of an existing one. Also with the latter the plug-in would need some way of interrogating the device types, which might not be possible with so many technologies and device types.

What are you thinking?

Steve

Comment

One that the user would have to enter, I am not aware of (at the moment) how that information would be extracted automatically. With dozens of battery-powered devices spread all around my property it would definitely be useful, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
          One that the user would have to enter, I am not aware of (at the moment) how that information would be extracted automatically. With dozens of battery-powered devices spread all around my property it would definitely be useful, IMO.
          Not sure if you saw my post above, but it could be a workaround in the meantime.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

Not sure if you saw my post above, but it could be a workaround in the meantime.
            I did not. Interesting/inventive suggestion, thanks. The fact you are doing it indicates more than myself is interested in this

Comment

Sorry I missed your post.
              I like the way you do it and best of all it requires no work on my part😀
              If the user has to input the info anyway I think this is as good a way as any.

Steve

Comment

Would like some info about the wade way. Not sure where what to fill/create....

Comment

Originally posted by edwin2008 View Post
                  Tag him in your post and I’m sure he will respond Wade

Comment

Originally posted by edwin2008 View Post
                    I just add the battery type and qty, if more than one, in parentheses at the end of the battery feature name. See examples in my post above: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...12#post1618012
                    -Wade

Comment

I just add the battery type and qty, if more than one, in parentheses at the end of the battery feature name. See examples in my post above: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...12#post1618012
                      What I like about your method is that you would get into the habit of adding the battery types to the name when you are adding/including a device. That is the time when you are thinking about the specific device, its capabilities and its batteries. The info is then there irrespective of what plug-in or script you use to monitor.

A tip for others, in SDJ-Health you would want to set the ‘NameDeviceBy’ setting to Root or Battery depending on whether you add the battery types to the Root/Parent or Battery Feature name. The created monitoring child/feature will then be named including the battery types.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X