Phone automation w/ Tasker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone automation w/ Tasker

It is not a free app, but tasker can work as automation for your Android phone. I am writing this up in response to another thread talking about android battery life, but this little app can do a lot of things. We all automate our homes, why not your phone?

When I get home (near wifi AP)...

- turn off GPS
    - say welcome home

When I leave home

- turn on bluetooth
    - turn on GPS

When connect to bluetooth audio...

- Open beyondpod and start playing my netcasts
    - Enable reading SMS aloud (another tasker profile)

Car bluetooth disappears...

- Turn of GPS
    - Mark my position so that I can find where I parked -- Just in case.

When in a meeting...

- turn to vibrate mode

Out of a meeting...

- Back to ringer

Early morning...

Make sure all volumes are back to normal so that my alarm can be heard.

These are just a few samples. Here is a wiki with more ideas...

http://tasker.wikidot.com/profile-index
    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel

It might be a cool if the hstouch client for android allowed some tasker integration.
    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel

Comment

wow!

so if I have a meeting in my google calendar, I can automatically set it to put the phone on vibrate, for instance?

Ian
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Yes. There are even a couple other options to be more specific. For example, mine only does this if the calendar entry is has me marked as busy. I think that you can have it match something in the title as well.
        - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
        Web Site
        YouTube Channel

Comment

tpchristian, thanks for mentioning this great app.

Aldo

Comment

Love Tasker - I have it set up for a few different simple tasks on my phone.

What I thought of this week, however...

There's got to be a way to interface Tasker and Homeseer together. For example, if I plug my phone in after 10:30 pm, trigger a HS 'sleep' event.

I'm sure this could be done with email from Tasker / Gmail -> Homeseer, but likely would be too much of a delay.

Any ideas on how to integrate Tasker and HS Events?

Comment

I already have that working at my house with my prototype plugin. I had posted this...

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=149510

But there didn't seem to be much interest. However, maybe I didn't bump it enough so that more people saw it.

I have a lot more ideas for what I want to do with it, but it does some basic things like home/away detection, reminding me if I haven't plugged my phone in after a certain time, reads me my text messages over speaker clients, etc.
              - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
              Web Site
              YouTube Channel

Comment

this stuff is making me want to re-think the iPhone.....

Comment

i've been playing around w/ gtalksms http://goo.gl/r9Zae you can interact w/ your phone through IM. it's open source too so if it doesn't do what you want, you can add it if you know java.

Comment

I've been playing with tasker and stumbled upon this thread.

I have been looking at how to get tasker to interact with Homeseer....

I am trying to get tasker to toggle virtual devices based off status... to do this, I installed the tenScript tenServer..

http://www.tenholder.net/tenWare2/te...r/default.aspx

I can then toggle devices with

To turn on.....
                    http://login:password@myservername:p...cX10&d=V1&a=On

To turn off.
                    http://login:password@myservername:p...X10&d=V1&a=Off

That virtual device can be-- at home, at work, or some other state.

With tasker, I can put this as a URL and it opens the page-- but it is visual. I am trying to get this to work in the background, but can't figure out how to do this. I tried a post/get but I did not have any luck. I suppose I could then use tasker to close the app-- but not sure how that would work if other apps were open.

Can anyone get this post/get to work in the background with tenHsServer?
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

After using Timeriffic for a long time, I spent the $6.50 on Tasker and it is awesome. I can give my phone a 'shake' when entering the house and HSTouch launches - pretty neat!
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        After using Timeriffic for a long time, I spent the $6.50 on Tasker and it is awesome. I can give my phone a 'shake' when entering the house and HSTouch launches - pretty neat!
                        Can you get it to open a webpage in the background?
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                          Can you get it to open a webpage in the background?
                          I havent tried it, but I would guess that it would just launch the browser in the foreground...

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                            I havent tried it, but I would guess that it would just launch the browser in the foreground...
                            Replying to my own post...

This version of Tasker has an HTTP POST Action under the "Net" Action list. It looks like it will handle an HTTP POST, but I cant see where to enter any security, which should be required for HS...

Comment

Homeseer tasker

Hi
                              I am also tryying to get tasker to trigger an event in homeseer. Tenhsserver does support entering security via &u &p parameters:

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&...un6r1jZRaY4W9A.

In tasker, http get, i am able to to send whatever i put in "path" in tasker to tenhsserver
                              but in homseer log entry i get error: 11.03.2012 15:51:35 - Error - Web Server Error 404, cannot serve file: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS2\html/Gang stue kjokken av.
                              I think i need to create a asp file in the html folder in homeseer directory but I haw no clue what to put in it.
                              Using tasker to trigger HS event, creating "buttons" directly on the android start screen , (using the tasker plugin zoom), would be brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                              X