no syslog content visible in UltraLog3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no syslog content visible in UltraLog3

I am using UltraLog3 now for a year or so but it is not possible for me to get content of the syslog in UltraLog3. I am using a Raspberry 3 with Homeseer 3.

Is seems very easy to setup the options but still, I did not succeed. I even changed the /var/log/syslog* permissions to read access for all, still no output.

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Cor

This is system info:
    Current Date/Time: 18-12-2017 19:47:22
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.368
    Linux version: Linux RPi3-Ub 4.4.38-v7+ #938 SMP Thu Dec 15 15:22:21 GMT 2016 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 58 Minutes 20 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.20
    Number of Devices: 426
    Number of Events: 191
    Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
    1.0.0.142: Arduino Plugin
    3.0.0.5: CM15A
    0.0.0.19: DoorBird
    0.0.0.35: Pushover 3P
    3.0.5917.35093: UltraLog3
    3.0.1.165: Z-Wave

What devices are trying to send log data to the UltraLog syslog server?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I guess it's just the Rpi3 syslog that UltraLog3 should look at. Am I seeing this wrong? On a terminal that is logged in at the RPi3 I can list the syslog (as root).

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean. A syslog server doesn't look at anything. It just sits there waiting for something to send information to it. Unless you have that something configured to send data to the syslog server you won't see anything in UltraLog.

Comment

I think I look at it the wrong way. What I thought is that the UltraLog3 plugin looks at the syslog of the RaspberryPi and gets what is needed.
          Now I think that I have to learn the RPi to sent something to the UltraLog3 plugin. Is that so? But how does that work?
          Can you give me a hint? Do I need to start some process on the RPi3? The syslog daemon is running though.

Comment

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Yes, that is what I want to do. Reading the RPi's syslog in UltraLog3. How do I configure the RPi3 in order to sent the syslog info to UltraLog3?
              It would be great if you could give me a clue or a link to some documentation.

Comment

We need to clarify some things. Syslog is not a log of a system. I't a protocol used to send log data from one device to a syslog server. You'll have to Google something like "raspberry pi how to send log to syslog server".

Comment

Dear S-F and Krumpy,

thanks for helping me understand the syslog protocol. I started reading and now it is running ok. I can see in UltraLog3 now the syslog messages from the RPi3.
                  -- Cor --

Comment

Working...
                  X