No announcement yet.

Trying to get useful information from my router and AP's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have Windows Home Server 2011, so I cannot provide the commands to determine if the firewall is blocking the UDP packets. As a test, I recommend disabling the firewall to see if the syslog packets are recognized by the plug-in. If that works, then you can focus on finding the firewall commands to allow UDP port 514 though the Windows Home Server 2011 firewall. If it doesn't then I recommend using Wire Shark to confirm the UDP syslog packets are being sent to your HS3 server.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I completely disabled the firewall and still nothing appears in the the log. I did use wireshark and my Unifi controller does send packets on UDP 514 but wireshark only sees that when it's being sent to a different IP address. When I have it set to the IP address of the HS3 machine, which is also the machine the controller runs on, there is ,obviously, nothing showing up in wireshark because the traffic isn't possing through a nic.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

UPDATE:
        I set up a Unifi controller on a different machine and tried sending the logs to the HS3 machine. Wireshark on the HS3 machine sees the traffic on UDP 514 but still nothing appears in UltraLog. At this point I'm incline to believe that this is an UltraLog issue, but I certainly don't know for sure.

Comment

OK. One more update. I have discovered that the syslog entries are coming from the individual AP's and not the controller. So even if the controller is offline the AP's will still send the information. I have wireshark on the WHS 2011 machine that is host to HS3 and is the destination of the syslog traffic and it is indeed seeing data from the AP's. But! Still nothing is appearing in UltraLog.

Comment

Ummmm. Well. It just started working this afternoon. I don't get it at all. I hadn't changed anything.

Comment

I recall another user using the Windows Home Server 2011 operating system experienced the same thing. I believe it had to do with installing the plug-in from a remote machine and not seeing the pop-up to enable listing on UDP port 514. His just started working after a series of reboots.

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I dunno. I manually made holes in the firewall for port 514 and it still didn't work. So I tried other ports. same thing. Wireshark could see the traffic though. After another day or so it just started working out of the blue. This happened to me the first time I tried it on a different machine too, but then the problem resolved itself in only a few days. This time it took around a week or more.

Comment

Working...
                X