Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smartthings app monitors refrigerator - can I read it in HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartthings app monitors refrigerator - can I read it in HomeSeer?

I have a Samsung refrigerator that I can monitor the temperatures in the SmartThings app.
    I would like to know if anyone has ideas or a working solution to monitor status of devices in the SmartThings app and push that info to HomeSeer?

I have been looking through the forums and have not found any solution yet.
    I have found a number of people trying to monitor temperature in the refrigerator and freezer with external probes and while that is an option I already can monitor the temperature via SmartThings so I figured there might be a way to get the data over to HomeSeer.

I also didn't see a plugin that would work for this already available i could test.

Saw this not so long ago.

if you know node red maybe you can try it and report https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...ib-smartthings

You can communicate from node red to hs3 with the json api or via mqtt

Comment

Originally posted by mrd10607@yahoo.com View Post
      I have a Samsung refrigerator that I can monitor the temperatures in the SmartThings app.
      I would like to know if anyone has ideas or a working solution to monitor status of devices in the SmartThings app and push that info to HomeSeer?

I have been looking through the forums and have not found any solution yet.
      I have found a number of people trying to monitor temperature in the refrigerator and freezer with external probes and while that is an option I already can monitor the temperature via SmartThings so I figured there might be a way to get the data over to HomeSeer.

I also didn't see a plugin that would work for this already available i could test.
      This is fairly easy to do using the Big5 plugin and the WebCore rules engine for SmartThings. See this thread where I posted detailed instructions on how to do it.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...martthings-api

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post

This is fairly easy to do using the Big5 plugin and the WebCore rules engine for SmartThings. See this thread where I posted detailed instructions on how to do it.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...martthings-api

--Barry
        I don't have a smartthings hub in my home. I have the refrigerator connected into the smartthings app over wifi.
        Am I reading the linked forum post correctly that I would need an actual hub to get the communication to work?

Micah

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
          Saw this not so long ago.

if you know node red maybe you can try it and report https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...ib-smartthings

You can communicate from node red to hs3 with the json api or via mqtt
          I'm not familiar with node red or json api. I'll have to look into them to see how this would work. Would this require me to have a smartthings hub?

Comment

I don't have a smartthings hub in my home. I have the refrigerator connected into the smartthings app over wifi.
            Am I reading the linked forum post correctly that I would need an actual hub to get the communication to work?

Micah
            You shouldn't need the ST hub. If you can use WebCore, then from there you can pass the information to Homeseer using a JSON call. There is no need for 2 way communication between SmartThings and Homeseer in your case, so you should be able to do what you want.

--Barry

Comment

Update on progress.
              I have Webcore reading the temperature through smartthings (no hub).
              Next I will work on getting the info info HS3.

Comment

Update on progress.
                I have Webcore reading the temperature through smartthings (no hub).
                Next I will work on getting the info info HS3.
                Next is the easy part. Just create a virtual device in Homeseer that represents the fridge temperature. Make note of the virtual device's reference number. Create an event in WebCore by following these steps starting at the WebCore home screen:

Click image for larger version  Name:	new_piston.png Views:	0 Size:	59.6 KB ID:	1335496
                Next clink "Create Blank Piston"...

Click image for larger version  Name:	create_blank_piston.png Views:	0 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	1335495

Fill in the blank fields to your liking and then click "Create"...

Click image for larger version  Name:	create_piston_button.png Views:	0 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	1335497

Once the blank Piston loads up, click on "Add New Variable"...

Click image for larger version  Name:	add_var.png Views:	0 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	1335499

On the pop-up menu, name the variable dynamic "Temp" (this field is case sensitive). Then choose "Physical devices", next choose your device from the list, and finally select "Temperature" from the far right drop-down list. Leave the assignment type set to default.

Click image for larger version  Name:	create_var.png Views:	0 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	1335498

(continued next post)

Comment

Next step is to click on "Add a New Statement"....

Click image for larger version

Name:	add_statement.png
Views:	227
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1335503

Then choose "Add an if"...

Name:	add_an_if.png
Views:	221
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1335504

Next choose "Add a Condition"...

Name:	add_condition.png
Views:	224
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1335505

Next choose your device and temperature from the drop down menus, and then select "Changes" as the comparison under Triggers...

Name:	add_condition_2.png
Views:	224
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	1335506

Next we add a "Then" statement...

Name:	add_then_statement.png
Views:	221
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1335507

Then choose "Add an Action" on the pop-up menu...

Name:	add_action.png
Views:	222
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1335508

(continued next post)

Comment

On the next screen just choose the default "Location"...

Click image for larger version  Name:	add_task.png Views:	0 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	1335511

On the next screen choose "Make a Web Request" from the drop-down menu...

Click image for larger version  Name:	make_web_request.png Views:	0 Size:	315.0 KB ID:	1335513

On the "Add a new task" screen, paste this into the URL field:

Code:
                    http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:80/JSON?request=setdevicestatus&ref=XXXX&value={Temp}
                    (Note that the variable "Temp" is case sensitive.)

Replace the xxx.xxx.x.xxx with the IP address that Homeseer is located at and replace the XXXX with the device reference number of the virtual device you created in Homeseer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	add_task_2.png Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	1335512

Next click "Save" in the upper right corner of WebCore and you're all done!

Name:	save2.png
Views:	211
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1335519

Now each time that a temperature change occurs the updated reading will be sent to your virtual device in Homeseer. From there you can build events within Homeseer that key off the temp readings.

--Barry

Comment

I must still be missing something in my setup.
                      I have the virtual device setup in HomeSeer (see picture).
                      I created the piston and was able to get it to trigger, but got the following errors. It looks like maybe the variables are different types or is there anything I have to do on my HomeSeer system to get the JSON request to work?

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 2.54.22 PM.png
Views:	213
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	1335835

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 2.49.04 PM.png
Views:	219
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	1335834

Micah

Comment

The right side of your "Edit Status Text" pic is cut off so I can't tell what the device control setting is, but you want to make sure you have it set as a "status" only device and not as a "control" device, nor as "both". The JSON command "setdevicestatus" is for status devices only, which in this case is what you need because you can't control the temperature. The command will error out when trying to send it to a "control" device.

--Barry

Comment

Off topic: I thought Webcore needed the hub but it looks like i was wrong.

My question is..what can we do with webcore ? If I want to try it , on what platform Should i install? I could look on the net and will do, but I am very busy here . So maybe someone Already can direct me . Thanks

Comment

I must still be missing something in my setup.
                            Looking closer, I also see a typo in the URL. You have "http://" twice in the URL... "http://http:/xxx.xxx.x.xxx/JSON?" Take out the typo and it should work.

--Barry

Comment

@MattL0 Off topic: I thought Webcore needed the hub but it looks like i was wrong.

My question is..what can we do with webcore ? If I want to try it , on what platform Should i install? I could look on the net and will do, but I am very busy here . So maybe someone Already can direct me . Thanks
                              Webcore installs direct on your PC and links to your SmartThings account (not the hub). From within the SmartThings app you will need to install WebCore and allow it to "subscribe" to specific device changes. Other people have reported getting it to work with Hubitat, but I think the Hubitat crew discourages that and does not provide support for the integration.

--Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X