Suggestions for MIcs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for MIcs

This may be in here already...so I'm really sorry if covering the same ground...

I really like what Alexa brings to the table in conjunction with HS. What I really don't like though is the whole who is really listening part of that. Plus, most of the things I want to do can probably just using HS voice control...though I've never done that. My question is how to set up mic's everywhere I have Alexa today? USB might work in a couple rooms, but I need something more like a BT version 5 (for distance and walls) powered mic in other rooms that could make it back as a mic input on my Windows 10 box. Is there even such a thing? I guess it could be IP/Wireless as well. PS - It'd be nice if whatever it was also could pass back success status like Alexa does.

THANKS!

Tom
    Current Date/Time: 10/10/2019 3:13:02 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 2 Days 23 Hours 28 Minutes 46 Seconds
    Number of Devices: 474
    Number of Events: 196
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 10
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Webroot SecureAnywhere Windows Defender Webroot SecureAnywhere
    In Virtual Machine: No MFG: gigabyte technology co., ltd.
    Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    2.0.6.0: BLMarantz
    3.0.0.67: EasyTrigger
    3.9.610.5: HSBuddy
    3.1.0.17: MeiHarmonyHub
    3.0.0.33: Nest
    3.0.0.63: PHLocation2
    3.0.11.13: weatherXML
    3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

ClearOne XAP800 business conference mixer designed for teleconferencing goes for about $40 on eBay and allows for up to 12 microphones, and is able of providing HomeSeer with location support (RS-232 connection, but USB adapter works fine), so it knows you are talking from inside living-room and therefore "Turn on the lights" can be localized to that room.

Good guide available @ http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/ZMCVRpart1.htm

XAP800 manual @ http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STA...800%20v1.1.pdf

You would want to use microphones such as: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254304161252 which can cover an entire floor depending on how your voice carries, but the more microphones you add, the more accurate the location ability of the matrix becomes. Sound travels at roughly 340 meters per seconds, and those split milliseconds your voice takes to get picked up by a microphone further away allows the XAP800 to determine which microphone you are closer to (aside from voice volume obviously).

As for success responses, just like you can connect 12 inputs to the XAP800, you can also connect 12 outputs in the shape of speakers and then have HomeSeer announce whatever you want to all speakers, or the ones you select. Can also route this via your existing AV speakers, or even a Sonos setup with the corresponding plugin for that.

PS: There are many other solutions possible as well, including wireless, but nothing beats wired when it comes down to it, and you will be amazed at how few microphones can cover a large area if placed correct. The XAP800 can be loud in comparison, but ideally you place it in basement/closet to solve that problem. Just cannot beat the price on these used units on eBay for what they offer.

Comment

Thanks for the very detailed answer and what looks like an ideal solution for places that are close enough (or I have pathway) to my PC that I could run physical cabling. For me, that still leaves 4 rooms I can't service. I saw a patent for Bluetooth in their news briefs, but it mentioned mobile phone not remote mics. Any suggestions for wireless or BT that might be able to reach this unit or my PC somehow?

THANKS!

Tom

Comment

No idea on BT, but there's plenty of business equipment that can be tied into XAP800, such as: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MKS2KC1

Range is 150' on those, so not sure if 300' radius covers your environment if receiver is placed centrally.

Comment

Another great idea...THANKS!

One I found is not a cheap solution, but what I'm thinking is more along the lines of this...
          https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...k_ql_ql_al_hza

I need more research because it says you can only use one at a time. My guess is that means you can't link them altogether for a call. Since my use case is one at a time with no transfer of voice to the other unit, I'm thinking it may work.

I wonder how much CPU this might take my PC if one is in my home theater when a movie is playing....It's waiting for a HS wake word, but has to process every sound I'm guessing.

Comment

It might not be taxing on the PC, but it might drain the device battery quick. I'd definitely wire them up to AC power, either direct if they have a DC-plug input, or with a battery replacement adapter.

For some of this stuff you will venture into unknown territory.

Another option of course is to look at your home, and see if you can run a cable via attic, basement, or even outside to any of those four rooms. Those boundary microphones are amazing and a microphone tucked away in the corner is sensitive enough to pick up all the voices in room. Depending on quality of microphone, cable, and receiver-unit you can run 250' cables without any issues which should give you a lot of wiggle room to figure out a route for cables.

There is also: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004W3ZQ

Comment

I have several studio quality external sound cards. The rooms I mainly use Alexa in are the entire first floor (which I can service from my office with a good mic) and a recording studio in the basement. Since I can run multiple instances of this plugin and my PC is "reachable" via USB in both of those, I can use two of my sound cards and mics to cover those areas. There is no need for wireless since the plugin can be run multiple times (IE- Can each be configured for a different sound card as an input). I can just keep "Alexa" products in a couple other spaces that are behind closed doors and hardly get used at all. That's not perfect as long term I want NO Amazon listening devices in my house eventually, but good for now. THANKS! Tom.

Comment

Does the XAP800 use balanced mic inputs? Does it provide phantom power for the microphones? I would be looking to use AKG PZM microphones or Crown PCC-160 microphones (because those are what i have around).

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                  Does the XAP800 use balanced mic inputs? Does it provide phantom power for the microphones? I would be looking to use AKG PZM microphones or Crown PCC-160 microphones (because those are what i have around).
                  I linked the user manual which has all the details on what it does in supplying power, and microphones that ClearOne suggests to use.

Don't see a reason why the ones you mentioned wouldn't work though.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                    I believe I have several Crown microphones here. They were boxed up, ready to mail several years ago when I sold the XAP800 I'd never gotten around to using (regretting that now). If you're interested, PM me and I'll open the box to see how many are there; probably about a half dozen. We can negotiate a price at that point, I wouldn't be looking for anywhere near the prices I see on eBay currently. These are meant for wall mounting and include the switch plate. I'm sure they could be removed from the plate and mounted in some other enclosure. Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown Mic.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1339948
                    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Wadenut you can always buy another XAP800 from eBay for $40 and set it up alongside whatever cloud voice control you have. The different keywords should keep it separated nicely.

Obviously the issue will be wiring up all the microphones and speakers to the XAP800, but proper placement can limit that and there are wireless solutions possible.

Finding the time to do it all is where I'm struggling, but hoping the holiday season will give me opportunities

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                        Wadenut you can always buy another XAP800 from eBay for $40 and set it up alongside whatever cloud voice control you have. The different keywords should keep it separated nicely.

Obviously the issue will be wiring up all the microphones and speakers to the XAP800, but proper placement can limit that and there are wireless solutions possible.

Finding the time to do it all is where I'm struggling, but hoping the holiday season will give me opportunities
                        Wiring all the mics was the problem then. I have an older house with little access inside walls. Not impossible however.
                        At that time there were no viable wireless options available. I was actually hoping with the arrival of Alexa I might finally have a solution but alas even that isn't an option at the moment, despite the fact I'm stocked with Echo Dots.
                        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                          Wiring all the mics was the problem then. I have an older house with little access inside walls. Not impossible however.
                          At that time there were no viable wireless options available. I was actually hoping with the arrival of Alexa I might finally have a solution but alas even that isn't an option at the moment, despite the fact I'm stocked with Echo Dots.
                          Friend of mine is using HS3 with XAP800 and during tests a single microphone was able to control entire 4-room home if you don't mind raising voice (especially when media is playing). Obviously more microphones help, especially to ensure localized control is needed so you don't have to call out room name itself, but it might make wiring consideration a lot easier where if you take a certain position from basement/attic you might be able to cover multiple rooms from a single "drill" spot. Plan to position microphones near floor myself, because I'm running wires in easy-to-access basement with ceiling beams exposed and don't want to deal with figuring out to get cables towards ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X