Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spud can you help in this question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spud can you help in this question....

    Spud, there are so many things about Alexa that is a bit confusing in my point of view. How does your plugin compares with the HS ver of Alexa ?

    What are the differences? Do they work the same?

    There has been a lot of post about HS ver that is overwhelming. Can you please explain briefly why are they diferent, please and thanks.
    Hector
    ____________________________________
    Win.2003 OS, HS3
    BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
    BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

  • #2
    First a bit of nomenclature:
    • The Echo is the cylindrical physical device that has microphone and speakers
    • Alexa is the amazon cloud service that does the speech recognition, and interpret your query.
    • The HS skill is a piece of code run in amazon cloud that allows Alexa service to route your query to your HS system.


    The Alexa plugin is a replacement/alternative for the Echo, i.e it lets you use any microphone to stream voice to the Alexa service, and any speaker to play the answer from Alexa.

    To let the Alexa service interact with your HS devices and events you still need the HS skill.

    So, this plugin and the HS skill are 2 very different things, and they are complementary.

    Comment


    • #3
      So does all this work if in Canada?
      I have heard that the Amazon Echo doesn't work here? ... and I'm not sure what they mean by that. Perhaps it's the Alexa service...
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by spud View Post
        First a bit of nomenclature:
        • The Echo is the cylindrical physical device that has microphone and speakers
        • Alexa is the amazon cloud service that does the speech recognition, and interpret your query.
        • The HS skill is a piece of code run in amazon cloud that allows Alexa service to route your query to your HS system.


        The Alexa plugin is a replacement/alternative for the Echo, i.e it lets you use any microphone to stream voice to the Alexa service, and any speaker to play the answer from Alexa.

        To let the Alexa service interact with your HS devices and events you still need the HS skill.

        So, this plugin and the HS skill are 2 very different things, and they are complementary.
        So, if I have your plugin I can use HS skill right? Only difference is the hardware.
        Hector
        ____________________________________
        Win.2003 OS, HS3
        BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
        BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by langenet View Post
          So does all this work if in Canada?
          I have heard that the Amazon Echo doesn't work here? ... and I'm not sure what they mean by that. Perhaps it's the Alexa service...
          Yes it works in Canada, however you can't enter a Canadian zip code for time, local weather, and traffic reports. But there should not be any issue for this to work with HS.
          Last edited by spud; February 15th, 2016, 06:15 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rotech View Post
            So, if I have your plugin I can use HS skill right? Only difference is the hardware.
            correct

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you very much for clearing things up for me.
              Hector
              ____________________________________
              Win.2003 OS, HS3
              BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
              BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

              Comment


              • #8
                I wonder if anyone is using the kinect device with the HS skill so they can share there experiences..
                Hector
                ____________________________________
                Win.2003 OS, HS3
                BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
                BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by spud View Post
                  First a bit of nomenclature:

                  The Alexa plugin is a replacement/alternative for the Echo, i.e it lets you use any microphone to stream voice to the Alexa service, and any speaker to play the answer from Alexa.
                  Still trying to get my head around this.. so you don't need the echo hardware then if you have the plugin and using the HS skill you can make use and control HS devices.
                  So if you don't have the echo hardware, then you need speaker.exe and some microphone hardware to call the commands and play back responses correct. For those running some server OS's which don't run the speaker app, then the echo hardware is a must?

                  Sorry for what seems like dumb questions...

                  Rob
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With the Kinect u don't need speaker .exe. Just the Kinect and the plugin and register in Amazon to use the skill for HS.
                    Hector
                    ____________________________________
                    Win.2003 OS, HS3
                    BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
                    BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
                    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by langenet View Post
                      Still trying to get my head around this.. so you don't need the echo hardware then if you have the plugin and using the HS skill you can make use and control HS devices.
                      So if you don't have the echo hardware, then you need speaker.exe and some microphone hardware to call the commands and play back responses correct. For those running some server OS's which don't run the speaker app, then the echo hardware is a must?

                      Sorry for what seems like dumb questions...

                      Rob
                      You don't need the speaker.exe at all, from the config page of the plugin you can chose the speakers and microphone to use.

                      see user guide: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176988

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Spud, I have a question. Do you think it's possible of using a echo with your Kinect plugin?
                        Hector
                        ____________________________________
                        Win.2003 OS, HS3
                        BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
                        BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
                        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          To add another twist to all of this, I have the Spuds Alexa plug-in running on a windows 10 box in Columbus Ohio driving my HS system in Indianapolis IN.

                          Crazy.....

                          Chris

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                            Spud, I have a question. Do you think it's possible of using a echo with your Kinect plugin?
                            Do you mean using the echo as the microphone and using the kinect plugin as the voice recoignition engine? If so no it's not possible.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by spud View Post
                              Do you mean using the echo as the microphone and using the kinect plugin as the voice recoignition engine? If so no it's not possible.
                              Dag nab it!!! I knew you where say that. Maybe someone someday can hack it...
                              Hector
                              ____________________________________
                              Win.2003 OS, HS3
                              BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
                              BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
                              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                              AP800,Honeywell Stat

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X