BLControl for iOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLControl for iOS

So I thought I would have a look today and see what I needed to develop BLControl for iOS.

The first thing I need is a mac computer (I have a macbook but I hate writing code on a laptop - I find it to be a pain). The other thing I need is to pay Apple $99/year to develop apps for iOS and have them in the store. This seems a little high to me since I only paid a one-time fee of $25 to develop apps for Android.

I am really going to have to think about this as I really do not like the idea of giving Apple any money at all (definitely not an Apple fan) let alone $99 a year to convert the Android to iOS.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
      I am really going to have to think about this as I really do not like the idea of giving Apple any money at all (definitely not an Apple fan) let alone $99 a year to convert the Android to iOS.
      Don't forget they also have to approve your app. At work we are in a battle for an app to be approved for a government contract.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yea I doubt I will do an ios app. For one I cannot stand Apple and another their fees are way too high ($100 per year) for the normal person. Google was $25 lifetime.
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

I'd be willing to donate to a year of membership for you (considering it an investment) The Swift environment looks like a great arena for rapid prototyping and iOS is so entrenched I have a feeling it would be worth your while. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
            I'd be willing to donate to a year of membership for you (considering it an investment) The Swift environment looks like a great arena for rapid prototyping and iOS is so entrenched I have a feeling it would be worth your while. Let me know.
            If this lapses, the app disappears from the app store. One of our OEM partners discovered that!
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I really think a yearly fee of $99 is crazy for people who are going to put out free apps. ($25 lifetime for Google is awesome)
              The BLControl app on Google is free. It is the plugin that costs the money. So $99 a year for a free app just does not make sense to me.
              Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

Yeah I am not necessarily a fanboy of apple but nor either platforms they all have their merits. I guess their business model is that it is up to the developer to figure out how to fund the free apps. There are potentials for multiple apps and interfaces from you though to really get into things like VR and enbedded control (essentially you could write the HS version of tasker). I could see spending a few bucks on the app since you have to maintain it. The user base here (myself included) would be more inclined to purchase the plugins though with that sort of thing.

Does it cost to be a Homeseer developer out of curiosity?

Comment

I just purchased myself a new Mac Mini. I should have it in a week or so.
                  I do have plans to convert BLControl to iOS but it is going to take some time
                  I need to learn objective-C first
                  Cheers,
                  Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                    I just purchased myself a new Mac Mini. I should have it in a week or so.
                    I do have plans to convert BLControl to iOS but it is going to take some time
                    I need to learn objective-C first
                    Write it in Swift and you'll like yourself more for your efforts.

Stanford has an iTunes U course in iOS 8 using Swift course and there are simpleton apps you could use as well.
                    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Really looking forward to this and am surprised this is not an intrinsic feature of HsTouch.

Comment

UPDATE:

I have my mac mini and have gone through 3 tutorials and made 3 games so far using Swift.
                        I doubt I will get to start the BLControl app until I get back from vacation in late April.

Now my kids want to make some games with some of the ideas that they have. I am game
                        Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

Glad to hear it. But priorities. Kids should come last, right?

Comment

Working...
                          X