Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSBuddy and intermittent geoFencing (irritating)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth, there are myriad reasons why a push notification would be delayed. The communication doesn't go directly from your HS system to your phone, it gets delivered to the Apple or Android servers, which then send it out to as a generic push message, then your phone has to receive it, parse it, decide what to do with it, and finally pop it on the screen. There are so many variables between point A and point B (network latency, service load, phone battery optimization, security settings, etc., etc.) that relying on push notifications for real-time communication is always going to be variable.

(Disclaimer: I haven't yet used HSBuddy for push (I just actually tried it out - don't ask, must have been living under a rock, where has this been all my life?!?) but will be looking to switch from my current pushover setup to this in order to simplify my setup to have less moving parts/running plugins.)

Comment

Originally posted by bearhntr View Post
      I still cannot get the PUSH NOTIFICATION to work.
      Are you still having issues receiving notifications? Just to make sure it isn't related to the special event configuration for the lock - can you try creating an event with only a push notification action and triggering it manually? Normally you would receive the notification on the selected device within seconds.

Also note, sometimes when HSBuddy is reinstalled (I've also seen it with some OS updates), it is possible the same device gets registered in HS twice. If you go to the HSBuddy configuration page and you see 2 devices with the same name ("Curtis' Galaxy S10+" in your case) you can delete all duplicates except for the one that has connected the most recently.

Comment

Originally posted by avargaskun View Post

Are you still having issues receiving notifications? Just to make sure it isn't related to the special event configuration for the lock - can you try creating an event with only a push notification action and triggering it manually? Normally you would receive the notification on the selected device within seconds.

Also note, sometimes when HSBuddy is reinstalled (I've also seen it with some OS updates), it is possible the same device gets registered in HS twice. If you go to the HSBuddy configuration page and you see 2 devices with the same name ("Curtis' Galaxy S10+" in your case) you can delete all duplicates except for the one that has connected the most recently.
        OK... I just tried this - see picture for the Event I created. I clicked the 'running man' icon - The first time I did this, it was almost 30 seconds before the phone made the noise and I got the pop-up notification. I had the phone AWAKE and holding in my hand. I then did it again once the screen had gone off (locked). I got the notification in about 2 seconds. I waited about 3 minutes and did it again...this time, no sound or notification until I woke up the phone (with my fingerprint) and then about 6 seconds later I got the notification.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Testing GeoFence.png Views:	0 Size:	201.1 KB ID:	1479794
        I would really like to get this working...as I want to be able to LEAVE the house and Trust that the doors lock, etc. Right now, I manually lock them as I leave - as I do not feel confident that the "LEAVES" event is running. So far over the last couple weeks - the ARRIVES even does 'seem' to be working. Either I get out of the car in the driveway and I hear the Schlage lock unlocking...or I go to the door and it opens right up. Not sure of the "passing through" even is working - I would like to do a notification on there too - while testing - so that if I happen to pass-through the GeoFence - the door does not UNLOCK - and then never re-locks. (see below):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive-Thru GeoFence.png
Views:	191
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	1479795

Curtis

Comment

Originally posted by bearhntr View Post
          The first time I did this, it was almost 30 seconds before the phone made the noise and I got the pop-up notification. I had the phone AWAKE and holding in my hand.
          This is definitely odd. I looked this up online, I didn't find much. Samsung appears to be especially aggressive at sleeping apps and background processes. There are a few settings that can be tweaked to avoid that. But if you had the device with the screen on and the app running that doesn't sound like the reason. I came across the concept of 'priority' notifications (Android only) and put support for that in the most recent version of the plugin (3.25.614.1)

After upgrading you'll be able to mark a notification as 'high priority' which may help get rid of that delay, but not quite sure since I have not been able to reproduce the delay in delivery myself. In any case, I have tested this for the past couple days with an event scheduled to run every 30 minutes for 12 hours a day. Each time I received the notification on the second it was expected.

Name:	notification test.png
Views:	256
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1480125

Comment

This is definitely odd. I looked this up online, I didn't find much. Samsung appears to be especially aggressive at sleeping apps and background processes. There are a few settings that can be tweaked to avoid that. But if you had the device with the screen on and the app running that doesn't sound like the reason. I came across the concept of 'priority' notifications (Android only) and put support for that in the most recent version of the plugin (3.25.614.1)

After upgrading you'll be able to mark a notification as 'high priority' which may help get rid of that delay, but not quite sure since I have not been able to reproduce the delay in delivery myself. In any case, I have tested this for the past couple days with an event scheduled to run every 30 minutes for 12 hours a day. Each time I received the notification on the second it was expected.

Name:	notification test.png
Views:	256
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1480125
            I am not sure how to see what version I am running -- on my phone is shows 1.0.65 (211482242). I have set every NOTIFICATION setting and DON'T SLEEP setting that I can find on the Samsung Galaxy S10+ that I can find. So that HSBUDDY never sleeps and can send Notifications.

I know it is frustrating. I have a scheduled task on the HS4 Pro laptop to reboot it every Sunday - but found sometimes it hangs.

I have the latest HS4 Pro installed 4.1.17.0

I love the geoFencing aspects - but thinking this might be more advantageous if I could get Bluetooth to work properly. My laptop is sitting within 30 feet of my driveway, and may times I have gotten pings in my phone that it wants to (or sees) the bluetooth phone that I have inside (it is a base and extensions) that connects to my phone so I do not have to carry my cell all over the house. The Cell talks to the Base and all the extensions talks to the Base. Cell phone rings, and they all ring too. No more running all over the house looking for the cell. :-)

If I were to install a bluetooth dongle in thee laptop - I wonder if this would be a possibility.

Curtis

Comment

Hi

I am not sure how to see what version I am running -- on my phone is shows 1.0.65 (211482242).
              On the HS website you can see the version of the plugin you're running from the 'Manage plugins' page. If you are on version 3.25.614.1 then make sure to mark your notification as 'high priority' (see screenshot on my previous post for details). I wonder if that fixes the delay.

Another thing I found online about delayed notifications pointed to issues between certain home routers and GCM (the Google Cloud Messaging service). They recommend testing with WiFi turned off on the phone. If the delay does not happen anymore, then it is possible that the delay is caused because the home router is slowing down the phone from re-connecting to GCM after switching from GSM to WiFi.

If I were to install a bluetooth dongle in thee laptop - I wonder if this would be a possibility.
              It would be possible, I will look into it. I'm in the middle of adding support for RFID tags for automation, but I can play around with support for bluetooth beacons after.

Comment

Hi

On the HS website you can see the version of the plugin you're running from the 'Manage plugins' page. If you are on version 3.25.614.1 then make sure to mark your notification as 'high priority' (see screenshot on my previous post for details). I wonder if that fixes the delay.

Another thing I found online about delayed notifications pointed to issues between certain home routers and GCM (the Google Cloud Messaging service). They recommend testing with WiFi turned off on the phone. If the delay does not happen anymore, then it is possible that the delay is caused because the home router is slowing down the phone from re-connecting to GCM after switching from GSM to WiFi.

It would be possible, I will look into it. I'm in the middle of adding support for RFID tags for automation, but I can play around with support for bluetooth beacons after.

It appears that I have HSBuddy -- 3.18.721.0. - I have upgraded to 3.25.614.1 and enabled High Priority----will let you know if it helps.

Comment

Hi

Hi,

I think we are getting closer - the HIGH PRIORITY seems to be helping some. Still some delays. As for WiFi - it is always ON on my phone but by the time I am 100 yards from my house...it is not talking to any other networks. I had a BIXBY routine setup at one time - when the phone connected to the Car's Bluetooth - it would shut off the WiFi - but I was having this issue at that time as well.

Does your HSBUDDY work on LINUX installs of HS? I am considering moving to LINUX - as these Windows Updates are killing me. LOL

Curtis

Comment

avargaskun I am new to trying HSBuddy. I have managed to get my android phone working with MyHS. I am wondering about my wife's phone. I set up her phone with the same credentials I am using and her phone was able to connect to MyHS. I also set up a geo zone for our house in both phones of .25 mi.

My question is this? Why does it take a long time for HSBuddy to realize someone has left the zone? My wife was testing it for me and was almost to her work (35 min. into route) before it spoke in my event. My event has her phone selected only. Thanks

Here is the HS log. Curious about all the entries in the device history being removed. Why is it doing that? Also she left the home zone at 7:12.

8/17/2021 8:48:37 AM
                    Legacy-Plugin/Script
                    HSBuddy
                    Cleanup thread removed 94 entries from device history.

8/17/2021 8:33:37 AM
                    Legacy-Plugin/Script
                    HSBuddy
                    Cleanup thread removed 93 entries from device history.

8/17/2021 8:18:37 AM
                    Legacy-Plugin/Script
                    HSBuddy
                    Cleanup thread removed 103 entries from device history.

8/17/2021 8:03:37 AM
                    Legacy-Plugin/Script
                    HSBuddy
                    Cleanup thread removed 85 entries from device history.

8/17/2021 8:00:26 AM
                    Legacy-Plugin/Script
                    HSBuddy
                    Updating client location for Cynthia Cell: (xx.9967119, -1xx.0742567)

8/17/2021 7:57:14 AM
                    HomeSeer
                    Event
                    Event Trigger "Away/Home Cynthia Leaves HSBuddy GPS Zone"

Legacy-Plugin/Script
                    HSBuddy
                    Cynthia Cell is leaving Home

Legacy-Plugin/Script
                    HSBuddy
                    Updating client location for Cynthia Cell: (xx.9967119, -1xx.0742567)

EDIT: If the cell phone has mobile data turned off would that stop HSBuddy from working correctly? My wife said she could have been within wifi distance when I got the event announcement. Getting connected to her work wifi could have allowed the phone to communicate with MyHS causing the delayed reaction to leaving home.

Comment

I think mobile data needs to be on so that the phone can tell myHS that it has crossed the fence. I have found with my Samsung s10+ phones (sprint) that while HSBuddy / HS sees the phone cross the fence right away, notifications through the phone can be delayed somewhat. Events run without delay.

Comment

Working...
                      X